Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
thickage
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer UMC202HD / Reaper / Extremely Low Recording Volume

Hello!

Having some problems with recording vocals for a podcast. UMC202HD interface with a Shure SM57 mic and I have also tried a Shure PGA48.

I have the vocal gain on the UMC about 50% and the output set to 50%, and I'm talking about 12-18" away from the mic. Input volume is somewhere below -30db.

If I jack up the gain and output, I can get my vocal track to about -20 if I talk 3 inches or so from the mic, but I've introduced a lot of noise.

Am I missing something? Is there anyway to comfortably get volume closer to -6 or -12db without yelling into the mic and having every sound in the room magnified by the gain?
thickage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
I have the vocal gain on the UMC about 50% and the output set to 50%, and I'm talking about 12-18" away from the mic. Input volume is somewhere below -30db.
I assume the output volume is for headpones/monitoring and has no effect on the digital recording level...

That could be normal. You're complaining about the gain, yet you are not using all of the available gain... Volume controls are not linear and "50%" on the knob should be far-less than 50% of the maximum. And, dynamic mics tend to have lower output than condensers.

You should be able to get closer to the mic, although you may need a separate pop-screen. And, maybe you do need to speak/sing with a "stronger" voice. You shouldn't have to yell but you should be loud, like you are speaking/singing in public and you want everyone to hear you.

Quote:
If I jack up the gain and output, I can get my vocal track to about -20 if I talk 3 inches or so from the mic, but I've introduced a lot of noise.
Here's the thing about noise... When you crank-up the volume the signal and noise together and the noise becomes more noticeable.

The "trick" is getting a good signal-to-noise ratio. You can do that by increasing the signal (talking louder or getting closer to the mic) or by reducing the noise (making the room quieter and/or using a quieter preamp).

Usually acoustic room noise is the biggest problem, and more gain or a hotter mic is just going to give you more noise (and more signal of course). There is also some noise (hiss/hum) from the preamp and sometimes increasing the gain on a preamp (or interface) makes the signal-to-noise worse, but not always... Usually the signal and noise go up & down together.

A "hotter" mic will give you a stronger signal, which helps with the electrical signal-to-noise, but it won't solve the room noise problem. And although condenser mics put-out a hotter signal, they have an internal head amp which generates some noise.

-20dB digitally isn't really a problem when you're recording at 24-bits. But, it could be an indication of a problem on the analog side if you don't have enough signal for a good analog signal-to-noise ratio.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 02-01-2018 at 10:00 AM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
thickage

Default Behringer UMC202HD / Reaper / Extremely Low Recording Volume

Thanks, DVDdoug, for the thoughtful explanation.

I may try a condenser mic just to test the theory of microphone input strength. I just didn't know if there's a known issue with the UMC that I'm not aware of.

I guess this is the art of audio recording! Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Philbo King

This might seem a silly question...

Are you using a 3-pin XLR cable to connect the mic to the umc202? If not, try that.

I've seen instances where this sort of mic was used with a 1/4" plug at the end of the cable, which would cause the sort of signal loss you describe.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
thickage

Not a silly question and thanks for asking. It is a 3-pin XLR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
This might seem a silly question...

Are you using a 3-pin XLR cable to connect the mic to the umc202? If not, try that.

I've seen instances where this sort of mic was used with a 1/4" plug at the end of the cable, which would cause the sort of signal loss you describe.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
Rick Settle

Well, just to be sure, do you have the "PAD" button next to the "LINE/INST" selector button pushed in? That cuts the input 20db.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
thickage

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the pad on. During troubleshooting I toggled it, but turned it back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Settle View Post
Well, just to be sure, do you have the "PAD" button next to the "LINE/INST" selector button pushed in? That cuts the input 20db.