Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Bob Headroom
Human being with feelings

Default New to Windows 7: how to set up the various Windows sound settings?

Hi all

I'm new to Win7. Thankfully I've just got my EMU 1820M to work (no native drivers were released), so the next thing is to take a look at the Windows Sounds options. Seems there's quite a lot more going on than in XP! And I've no idea what a lot of it is nor how to set it. I'm guessing it will all be irrelevant when I am using ASIO(???). But it comes into play when using the EMU's WDM drivers, which I do for various programs, the internet, etc.

Here are the settings I am unsure about:

1) Volume Mixer > Left Click “Speakers” Icon > Advanced.
- Default Format. The default setting is 16 Bit / 44100 Hz (CD Quality). Is that what I should use? Or should I use 24 Bit?
- “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”. Ticked by default. What is best?
- “Give exclusive mode applications priority”. Ticked by default. What is best?

2) Volume Mixer > Left Click “System Sounds” Icon > Playback tab > Right click Speakers > Configure Speakers. I've chosen stereo here and presume that is correct. But then, when you press next it takes you to the Speaker Setup page. Should I tick or untick the “Front left and right” box?

3) Volume Mixer > Left Click “System Sounds” Icon > Recording tab > Double click icon > Listen tab.
- “Listen to this device”. Tick or untick?
- “Playback through this device”. Choose Default device or Speakers (EMU?
- Power Management. What to choose here?

4) Volume Mixer > Left Click “System Sounds” Icon > Recording tab > Double click icon > Advanced tab.
- Default Format. The default setting is 16 Bit / 44100 Hz (CD Quality). Is that what I should use? Or should I use 24 Bit?
- “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”. Ticked by default. What is best?
- “Give exclusive mode applications priority”. Ticked by default. What is best?

5) Volume Mixer > Left Click “System Sounds” Icon > Communications tab. What to select here? Reduce…by 80% seems to be default. Should I select "Do Nothing". I don't think I will ever be using my PC for phone calls!

6) Device Manager under Sound, Video, etc. There are two things listed here, the EMU sound card and also “High Definition Audio Device”. Should I disable HDAD?

I've tried to Google for answers but have not had much luck. I'm not sure how relevant all of these are, but I want to get them right so any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Max
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Stella645

The exclusitivity options may be useful if you have problems with using simultaneous audio streams through the card, but for most stability leave them set as is.

Disabling the other internal audio device won't hurt if you're sure you don't need it.

Other than that don't bother.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
jiff 41

Did you see this post earlier?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=203576