Old 05-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Jonague
Human being with feelings

Default Windows/Mac Compatibility

Hey everyone!

How are you?

Now, I'm afraid I've started using Reaper on a Mac device : I used to run a computer with (drumroll) OS 10.6 on Mac, and have had a lot of fun with it! Only, here's the problem : as you might have guessed, my computer was rather old, and, as do many old things in this sad sad world, my computer died : the Hard Disc (the main one, I mean, I don't know how you call it in English, the one on which the computer starts), has crashed, and odds for me to be able to fix it are relatively weak.

Thus, because I'm not a big fan of everything on MacOS, I thought to myself "Hey, let's be smart and see what the world looks like on Windows".

Only, to my great disappointment, I realised that much of the mixing I was doing on my Reaper files relied on an Equalizer created by Apple, the AUGraphicEQ, which, "obviously", is not available on Windows! Damn, why does the world do that!?

So, anyhow, to get to the point, I have a little software problem to which I'm hoping you might have an answer : my Windows Reaper interface won't even read my AUGraphicEQ units in my mixes. Does anyone know if I can download a piece of software that will be able to read AUGraphicEQ and turn it into a similar EQ compatible with Windows? Does anyone know of another EQ out there that is compatible with Windows/Reaper and has 31 bands? That was the main advantage of AUGraphicEQ… Does anyone know how I can unblock the situation? I've downloaded another Graphic EQ (Voxengo Marvel GEQ), which is alright (thus far), but that does have fewer bands. Moreover, I might be able to read my data on someone else's Mac computer sometimes, take a handful of screenshots of it, and then copy it with similar EQs, but am afraid that that might take a little time, and that the result might not be as good… Is there really ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I can read and use the AUGraphicEQ (and AUMatrixReverb, by the way) on Windows? Does an identical copy of it exist while Windows COmpatible?

Thanks to whomever may help me!

Peace be with you,
Jonah.
Jonague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Vasily

31-band graphic EQ? closest that comes to my mind is a 26-band, but I'd advice to try using ReaEQ, I believe, it supports unlimited number of bands.

AFAIK there's no way to transfer AU state data to VST or something like this. I'm myself stuck with Ambience reverb AU settings that I cannot replicate to Ambience VST (having both working Mac and Windows).

I think, the easiest way to transfer EQ settings is to ask some friend on a Mac to download Reaper, open your project and screenshot all the EQs.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
maralatho

Startup disk/boot disk.

AU (Audio Units) plugins are proprietary to macOS, and Logic and Garage Band force you to use them even if you have VSTs. Third party DAWs on macOS let you use both kinds. My feeling, as someone who dual-boots between macOS and Windows on the same hardware, is that it's best to avoid AU plugins. They exist to trap you in macOS.

Stick to VST or VST3 plugins and it will be easier to move between Reaper on macOS and Reaper on Windows.

As Vasily said, ReaEQ lets you use as many bands as you want, and it comes free with Reaper.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
creator31

There's HoRNet's ThirtyOne plugin. A 31-band graphic equaliser. It's got various 'auto EQ' options, but if you turn those off, it's a regular graphic EQ:

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-thirtyone/

It's 19.99 right now, but they seem to have a lot of sales where the price goes way down.

Works fine for me.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
Jonague

Default Thanks

Oops!

Haven't been very active lately… Thanks a lot to you guys/girls for your time and energy! Your thoughts on the topic are now officially abducted!

Jonah.
Jonague is offline   Reply With Quote