Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Help with mastering a song ....

Hey, ALL:

I am in recovery (3 1/2 years clean) and a brother in recovery with me died a few days ago, so, I recorded the song 'Angel' in the style of Sarah Mclachlan in his honor, which is a song about addiction.

I still have so much to learn about mixing and am wondering if someone would be willing and able to help me get this song sounding it's best.

I'm providing the download link to the RAR zip file with all my tracks in it as well as a PDF with information about my tracks so you know what VSTs I did use on them.

As far as the music instrument tracks, I get them in MP3 format so can't do anything about that. In my project I did route them to a track that I made as a folder called music and put a compressor on it. Other than that, all other track info is in the PDF file included in the download.

I am not trying to be a PRO singer. This is simply about one person singing for a friend. I know that there might be a few spots where I'm flat with my vocal and such, but, I'm not looking for perfection just a little improvement. I know that ReaTune can most likely help with being flat.

Please see the file: Angel track SPECS.pdf included in the RAR zip file.

I am grateful to anyone willing to help. Please leave a reply if you are going to do it so others don't duplicate your efforts..

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uq0hkyx2z...Angel.rar?dl=0

With Gratitude,

Steven
Berkeley, CA USA
Old 04-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
xpander

I did a mix from the files you provided. It's not a mastered version, just a rough mix with some problem parts fixed, as I saw fit. Since this is a vocal centric piece, I had to tune the vocals here and there to be able to bring them somewhat forward, but your personal touch is surely still there.

Other than that, I used ReaEQ, SlickEQ M, DMG TrackComp and Acon Verberate 2 as fx. For the example project, I spent some time setting up Reaper fx as replacements for everything else except for the Verberate. Last (muted) track has a master mix rendered with the original fx as a reference.

I'll give you a dropbox link to the project files in PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
ErBird

Hi, Steven. It's a very nice tribute to your friend. My girlfriend was in tears listening, so I'd say you were effective in the message of the song.

If you still need a mix, here's my best shot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nv0...ew?usp=sharing
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
sjs94704

Thank you ErBird! I am grateful for your help.

An update on my friend..... The recovery program I am part of offers housing for those people who need it. I myself have my own spot.

Most of the houses have around 20 guys with 3 guys to a room!

I'm not sure of all of the details, but, one of the counselors who I spoke to by phone this past Thursday indicated that a new guy moved into the house who had been homeless and apparently some kind of something occurred between them that was so bad that my friend killed himself which makes the loss that much harder.

suicide is always so hard for those who are left behind.

Let's just all take a moment to pray for my friend as well as ANYONE who feels so desperate that the only way they feel the pain will stop is to take their own life...
This is the second friend in this program I have lost to suicide.....

But, that is not what this board is all about, but, it is what my friend is all about.
May he rest in peace......