Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
tylerc125
Human being with feelings

Default Crackling audio during playback

I recently got a new laptop and it's been having an issue where audio is crackling/distorted during playback in Reaper. I don't get the issue with any other programs, so it is specific to Reaper. My audio will play back perfectly normal for about 10-15 seconds, and then there is a sudden, intense crackling/distortion during playback that doesn't go away until I unplug my headphones and plug them back in. Then I get another 10-15 seconds of playback before it happens all over again.

Additionally, it doesn't happen through just these headphones. It happens through the internal speakers on the laptop and through other pairs of headphones so I know that's not the issue.

All of my computers drivers are up to date, and I have the latest version of Reaper. This is happening even with just one track that does not have any FX running, so I don't think it's an issue of overworking the CPU or anything like that.

Any ideas on what's causing this?
tylerc125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
domzy

what's your audio interface (if you have one)? what are your driver settings & block size in preferences/ audio devices etc.? Have you tried different settings / increasing the block size?
all the usual questions apply really - have you checked other posts and FAQs for new users?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #3
ivansc

More to the point, have you checked out the free user guide and the free video tutorials at reaper.fm? Welcome to the forums & dont be afraid to ask what may seem to you like dumb questions. We are all just users here & most of what we know we learnt from messing up!