Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default Hang in there, John Prine

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ate-coronvirus

I hear that the rough stats are that it's 50/50 for survival once you're on ventilation for covid-19. Apparently he's "stable" and already a week or so in, so maybe he's hanging tough and will make it through.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
ivansc

Bummer. I lost a good friend from the 60s last night after he had been ventilated, sedated & on a dialysis machine for a couple of weeks. Scares the shit out of me at my age & with my health issues.

Remember seeing John P at the Cambridge Real Tennis courts way back before he really hit big. An amazing writer.

Last edited by ivansc; 04-04-2020 at 04:22 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:54 AM   #3
martifingers

Hang on indeed, John and all those suffering just now. A good time to think about to value and cherish each other.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I hear that the rough stats are that it's 50/50 for survival once you're on ventilation for covid-19.
If you're old, have diabetes 2, heart or lung disease, then it's more likely you need ventilation.
For the other not having the above, but needs ventilation, survival rate is more close to 100.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
tls11823

Hey, cancer tried and failed twice to kick his ass. Here's hoping he's still got some fight left in him.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
If you're old, have diabetes 2, heart or lung disease, then it's more likely you need ventilation.
For the other not having the above, but needs ventilation, survival rate is more close to 100.
Good to know, thanks. Have a source for further reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Bummer. I lost a good friend from the 60s last night after he had been ventilated, sedated & on a dialysis machine for a couple of weeks. Scares the shit out of me at my age & with my health issues.
My condolences for the loss. I have a feeling stories like this are going to become sadly common on here. I hope you stay clear of it yourself.

Quote:
Remember seeing John P at the Cambridge Real Tennis courts way back before he really hit big. An amazing writer.
...and performer. Saw him maybe 5 years ago and just loved his energy on stage. Can't count the times I've sung Paradise around a campfire. Killing the Blues...
Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
msundh

Quote:
Nothing written. Heard from the leading expert in Sweden in TV.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
I wouldn't trust it, there are perfectly healthy people in their 30s/40s dying from it and no one knows why that is. Right now, we should not be complacent over health/age as no one knows why healthy people are also dying - regardless of rates. It's not a high number but I'll offer the same question I offered someone else. .

"There 100 M&Ms in a bowl, 2 are laced with cyanide - how willing are you to grab a couple to eat?"

The virus's evolution is to exploit human interaction - Do not let complacency or false sense of security make decisions - let's follow guidelines for the next few weeks then reevaluate.

Also, people aren't understanding that if you go to a ventilator you are on it from 1 - 3 weeks with a tube down your throat - not to mention you are in a very dangerous situation at that point - we don't know what full recovery means for everyone either due to potential lung damage from inflammation etc. - You are right about 50/50 when on a ventilator - this is serious business.

I know we are all desperate for good news we can count on but the only 100% right now is not coming in contact.

I'm still hopeful and positive but the time to do the right thing , don't panic, and not brush this off is right now. My biggest frustration is I know how humans react and far too many will find some reason to ignore until it is too late.

Note: We are under stay-at-home non-essentials lock down here... I had to run to the hardware store today (fridge died so I had no choice) - It was very frustrating watching how many people just don't get it - but again, the virus has evolved to exploit our natural complacency.

Stay safe!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Nothing written. Heard from the leading expert in Sweden in TV.
Thanks. I got my 50/50 number from this guy, who has been doing excellent updates, but he didn't go in to the detail you described. He cited this study.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Right now, we should not be complacent
Right there with you, and I'm not taking anything as gospel. Incidentally, the study I just linked to does have some breakdowns about which groups are more or less likely to die in what situations. But of course whatever it says is not changing anything about my vigilance/behavior, etc.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Prine as an old man, singing a song he wrong as a young man about old men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhA01J0Zsg

Last edited by schwa; 04-04-2020 at 01:24 PM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Right there with you, and I'm not taking anything as gospel. Incidentally, the study I just linked to does have some breakdowns about which groups are more or less likely to die in what situations. But of course whatever it says is not changing anything about my vigilance/behavior, etc.
Exactly, I can use those numbers to feel better about odds, but I can't use them to relax my diligence. One thing that bugs me right now, is there are people dying that there seems to be no underlying reason for, who are young and not knowing why, means we should all be careful. I've forced myself to sit through a few videos interviews with families this has happened to, it is heart-wrenching.

There are also some, young and old which is becoming a theme, who will lose their fever, start feeling better, then their breathing will suddenly take a turn for the worse and die. I'm certain that will be answered at some point but for now... be careful - even if I debate with people here in debates from time to time, I still like and want you safe!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Thanks!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #14
clepsydrae

There are a few songwriters so capable of touching a certain kind of pathos... I think of John Prine, Neil Young, Rickie Lee Jones, Greg Brown...
Old 04-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Bill Murray on John Prine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDpZCZPMRJ8
Old 04-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Exactly, I can use those numbers to feel better about odds, but I can't use them to relax my diligence. One thing that bugs me right now, is there are people dying that there seems to be no underlying reason for, who are young and not knowing why, means we should all be careful. I've forced myself to sit through a few videos interviews with families this has happened to, it is heart-wrenching.

There are also some, young and old which is becoming a theme, who will lose their fever, start feeling better, then their breathing will suddenly take a turn for the worse and die. I'm certain that will be answered at some point but for now... be careful - even if I debate with people here in debates from time to time, I still like and want you safe!
Some are attributing this to BCG, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ate-tb-vaccine

there's a lot of other stuff floating around at the JREF http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=343009

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 04-04-2020 at 03:10 PM.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Prine as an old man, singing a song he wrong as a young man about old men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhA01J0Zsg
Thanks for this link - strange to think I have drifted in and out of contact with his music for nearly 50 years and so imperceptibly I have become one of the old men he so eloquently sings about.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #19
Bevosss

Quote:
I hear that the rough stats are that it's 50/50 for survival once you're on ventilation for covid-19.
It varies according to your location and the strain.

If you go by the reported figures of the worst affected countries,
new deaths as a percentage of serious cases would be one indicator to consider, depending on the country's accuracy.

April 04 (rough calculation):

US - 16%
France - 15.5%
Spain - 11.5%
Germany - 4.3% [very low compared to their neighbours]
Italy - 17%
Australia 2.4% [nowhere near the top but just shown as a western-type country comparison]

We have 85 serious cases reported in Australia, with 23.5% being on ventilators.
So 20 on ventilators -> 2 new deaths -> ~10% here.

Quote:
Mar 31
...there were about 2,200 ventilated intensive care beds in Australia, only 20 of which were currently being used for Covid-19.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...navirus-demand

Last edited by Bevosss; 04-05-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:59 AM   #20
ivansc

just found out another old friend is in hospital with the virus. Hopefully HE is going to make it through. Matthew Seligman. Bass player extraordinaire. This whole thing is really weighing me down as I see old friends succumbing - especially ones that are still younger than me.
Forgot to add earlier that I am a type 2 injecting diabetic with 2 chronic lung diseases, in my first year in remission after cancer treatment & have a long history of major lung issues.

Nervous? Who, me??

Last edited by ivansc; 04-05-2020 at 02:06 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
martifingers

Here's another great version freshly sung for John:

https://www.stereogum.com/2078546/wa...n-prine/video/
Old 04-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #22
schwa
Administrator

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-obit-253684/
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #23
clepsydrae

Shit.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #24
Jae.Thomas

welp. fuck.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #25
lunker

My wife just told me ...

So sad ...
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #26
vdubreeze

We're all so sad and bummed out, but his last words were probably something that would make use all chuckle. He was such a beacon that way. His songs could make you laugh and then cry, but in interviews he was always so damn good natured, riveting, eloquent and face effacing. There is nothing like a glove compartment full of John Prine CDs, or a phone loaded up with him for a long car trip. For my money, I don't think anyone gets so deep into you like he does.

Rest In Peace.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #27
clepsydrae

My dad used to sing "Paradise" to us in the car on road trips. As a kid I was struck by the innocence of the protagonist in the song, also a child of course, and the sorrowful tragedy of the regretful father having to break the news to the kid that the place they had shared so many happy memories in had been casually destroyed. I honestly think it had a lot to do with my later political/environmental sensibilities.

But I never had any idea who wrote the song, or really that there could even be an author of such a song. It just felt timeless.

Then I had a radio show in college and found a Prine record. I ended up playing Lake Marie on the show and became captivated with that song. And then got to know more of his work from there.

I had a close friend pass a couple of years ago -- a musician beloved in the community. There really is something special about the connection that musicians can make with the strangers around them, and something beautiful about the legacy they leave. I know that John Prine's will be long remembered.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #28
martifingers

Quote:
There really is something special about the connection that musicians can make with the strangers around them, and something beautiful about the legacy they leave. I know that John Prine's will be long remembered.
I really like that sentiment and am very sad at this news. I think I will try and remember him just now with songs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv4glY

Love and laughter and a good dose of bawdiness... life in other words.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #29
tls11823

There are some people that everybody in the business wants/wanted to collaborate with: Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, and, of course John Prine. He created so many memorable duets with so many amazing people and you could really sense the connection in the shared performance.

My wife and I consider In Spite of Ourselves, John's duet with Iris DeMent, to be the theme song of our marriage.

My band plays Hello In There. Almost universally, the audience tamps down their conversations to give it a listen. There's magic in those words.

And the man could make poetry out of anything. "Lydia hid her thoughts like a cat, behind her small eyes, sunk deep in her fat." In those few words, you learn a lot about Lydia.