Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #1001
imagineaudio
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
I guess you followed an old video. The latest documentation is here:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...nstallation.md
Especially, note the Macos specifics.
Looks like I'm up and running. Thanks for your help, and the work on this.
imagineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 AM   #1002
Joebox

Quote:
Could it be that the colors are toggled by the device itself? Did you compare with the simulator?
Yes, I checked it with the simulator. Button "Device" toggles between Pan/Send A/Send B/ etc.

For the unexciting tracks- this cannot be checked
Joebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:55 AM   #1003
spkr4thdd

Default X-Touch Zoom/Navigation Confusion

Hi!

First off, brand new to DBM4R (and this forum!) and have to say it's great! Downloaded it this morning, installed as per Github instructions and had it working within minutes! And I'm loving it! Obviously there's going to be a learning curve, but it's already the best of the tools to use my X-Touch with reaper, thank you!

I have noticed a couple of issues with the way the X-Touch (MCU style big one, not the Compact or One) is using the MCU protocol. Not sure if it's DBM4R or the X-Touch which is at fault, and I've trawled through this thread and can't see anything related to my issues. So here goes...

First things first, what I'm using... Reaper 6.07, Mac Pro 5,1, Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 (no Metal card yet so limited to this OS), latest DBM4R set up for MCU mode, Behringer X-Touch (Firmware 1.15) in MCU mode over USB.

Oh! And I'm painfully aware this may be a definite case of the PICNIC virus, so please do let me know if I've missed something simple in the config of the MCU settings

I think Assignment Buttons (Track, Pan/Surround, EQ etc.) are the biggest thing for me at the moment. These are meant to switch between Mixer/Channel mode when clicked successively, and various other key strokes/combinations are meant to complete other actions. Some of these work, some appear 'confused'? Here's what I've found so far...

Track - Works correctly.

Pan/Surround - Appears to work correctly. (Only affects pan as I do not have any surround tracks).

EQ - This does nothing. Is there any way this could open ReaEQ, adding it to the channel if it's not already there? I believe that's how the MCU itself works? At least with Logic.

Send - This is one I'm confused with. Pressing this repeatedly cycles through the Send slots for each channel. What I believe it should do is cycle between Mixer and Channel modes?

And this is where I noticed what might be a 'global' issue with the X-Touch? In Send 'Mixer' mode I should be able to use the cursor buttons like this:

Up/Down - moves between the Send slots.
Left/Right - moves between the Send parameters.

Currently my cursors are only moving channels... Up/Down -1/+1 and Left/Right -1/+1.

Also, when Send is engaged the Bank L/R buttons work, but the Channel L/R buttons don't? (Function taken over by cursors)?

Plug-In - This one's really confusing... I'm not concerned about 'Mixer' mode as it's rare that I would have the same plug-in across every channel, so the fact it defaults to 'Channel' mode is fine. However, when in 'Channel' mode it appears that the Bank/Channel vs Cursor issue rears its head again...

Bank L/R moves between the Plug-Ins on the channel.
Channel L/R moves between the Pages of parameters on the Plug-In selected.

And again, my cursors are only moving channels... Up/Down -1/+1 and Left/Right -1/+1.

I think that this should be the other way around?

-- It might be worth mentioning here that when the Channel L/R buttons are pressed, the EQ and Inst assignment buttons light up respectively?

Instrument - This does nothing. Even if I click on a VI (say, EZDrummer) on a track, the Intrument button doesn't illuminate.

Strangely, and I've only just noticed this while testing, if I click the 'Audio Tracks' button it opens the first plug-in/instrument on the selected channel? This has led me to checking the 'View' buttons (Global, MIDI, Inputs, Audio...) but I'll do a separate post for those

Anyhoo! Sorry for the long initial post, but this thing's got me excited!! If you need any more info, please just holler and I'll give whatever info I can.
spkr4thdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #1004
moss

If you like RTFM there is now a DrivenByMoss PDF manual (will also be included in future updates)! Many thanks to Ryan for contributing those nice Launchpad images!

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...oss-Manual.pdf
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #1005
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Hi!
First off, brand new to DBM4R (and this forum!) and have to say it's great! Downloaded it this morning, installed as per Github instructions and had it working within minutes! And I'm loving it! Obviously there's going to be a learning curve, but it's already the best of the tools to use my X-Touch with reaper, thank you!
With MCU there are always issues. It only works correctly with an original MCU and the old Logic version back then.
So, there are difference in how the MCU protocol is used by a specific manufacturer and how it is then interpreted by a specific DAW.

In the manual I note which ORIGINAL button/knob/fader is executing which function in Reaper: https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy.../Mackie-MCU.md

There are several options available in the settings where you can adjust many things but it might not solve all of your issues. You can also check (don't have the behringer device) if there is an editor for it to adjust the button functions (I did that with my X-Touch One to fix some stuff).
Old 04-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #1006
spkr4thdd

Thanks for the quick response...

Quote:
With MCU there are always issues. It only works correctly with an original MCU and the old Logic version back then.
Totally get it, and I'm used to fighting through stuff like this

Quote:
In the manual I note which ORIGINAL button/knob/fader is executing which function in Reaper
I'll be good and RTFM

Quote:
You can also check (don't have the behringer device) if there is an editor for it to adjust the button functions
There's an editor for the Compact and Mini as they use 'normal' MIDI, the Universal however apparently uses a proprietary method and isn't editable. I'll try to capture what's send from the X-Touch and see how I can translate.
spkr4thdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #1007
Couzumain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO-mix View Post
Ableton Push 2: Starting...
Could not open USB output.
Ableton Push 2: Running.
Resending color palette entry #0 request.

Buttons are highlighted and when a add tracks new color buttons highlihgt. But main screen is still PUSH.
In configuration when i change INPUT port nothing changes but when i change output - buttons become dark.
COntrols work but screen is not working.

Hi Moss !

I've got exactly the same Log as "Ro-mix", all the button seems to work but the screen only display the Push Logo.

You respond to "Ro-mix" :

"Please read and follow the additional installation insttructions for Linux:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...on-Push-I-&-II"

I run a Reaper 6.03 Version on Windows 10 x64 whith push 2, I followed your link anyway but it ends on an error 404 :

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...Push-I-&-II.md

So, I'm a bit stuck here, I assume that the problem should come from my usb driver ?

Do you have an idea ?

Anyway thanks for what you're doing, it could be life changing for me if i manage to makes this work.

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.
Couzumain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #1008
ToxMox

Would it be possible for you to add undo states for when I do something with the surface? For example when I mute or unmute using the surface with this it puts a "Adjust track mute (via surface)" entry in the undo history but when I press REC arm/disarm on my surface nothing gets added to the undo history but the button works.

I'm working on a script that links the state of the mute and arm/disarm of each track so when I mute a track the track disarms and when unmuting then it arms. Also the opposite where if I arm the track then it unmutes and when I disarm it mutes.

I'm using the undo history to track changes with my script so I'm unable to track the arm changes via my surface.
ToxMox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #1009
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couzumain View Post
Hi Moss !
"Please read and follow the additional installation insttructions for Linux:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...on-Push-I-&-II"

I run a Reaper 6.03 Version on Windows 10 x64 whith push 2, I followed your link anyway but it ends on an error 404 :

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...Push-I-&-II.md
Ups, seems I broke some links: it is now here:

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenBy...bleton-Push.md

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couzumain View Post
So, I'm a bit stuck here, I assume that the problem should come from my usb driver ? Do you have an idea ?
Hmm, just some things to try:
- Are you using the power supply?
- Try a different USB cable
- Try a different USB port (also directly connect it to the PC without a hub).
Old 04-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #1010
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
Would it be possible for you to add undo states for when I do something with the surface? For example when I mute or unmute using the surface with this it puts a "Adjust track mute (via surface)" entry in the undo history but when I press REC arm/disarm on my surface nothing gets added to the undo history but the button works.

I'm working on a script that links the state of the mute and arm/disarm of each track so when I mute a track the track disarms and when unmuting then it arms. Also the opposite where if I arm the track then it unmutes and when I disarm it mutes.

I'm using the undo history to track changes with my script so I'm unable to track the arm changes via my surface.
Could you please be more specific what you mean with "surface"? Are you using OSC?
Old 04-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #1011
Couzumain

Quote:
Hmm, just some things to try:
- Are you using the power supply?
- Try a different USB cable
- Try a different USB port (also directly connect it to the PC without a hub).
I found the problem. It was an unknown peripheral I had for quite some time know and didn't really care because my pc run smoothly ( appart for that ^^)
Who was actually an "ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller".

So I install the driver and magic, now it work perfectly.

Sometimes It's just so simple, that I don't understand why I loose so much Time. ^^

Thanks anyway, have a nice evening !
Couzumain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #1012
ToxMox

Quote:
Could you please be more specific what you mean with "surface"? Are you using OSC?
I'm using an X-Touch Universal via DrivenByMoss4Reaper using Mackie MCU.
ToxMox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:21 AM   #1013
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post

Ah, I see. Will try to harmonize this a bit in the next update.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:30 AM   #1014
grillo

Quote:
I can reproduce that but sadly have no idea what to do about it. The code is the same as with the other modes, just that it is a different mode.
Hi Moss

Thank you for your answer, i tested many times the issue and maybe i found something who should help :With my MCU Pro (Mac Os 10.12.6 /Reaper 6.08 64 /drivenByMoss4Reapper 8.95) In touch mode , when i move a fader (touch sensitive) after 0,1s the connection is lost, it is like i had removed my finger of the fader. I continue to move the fader ; my finger is recognize once again and lost 0.1s after ..So that write peaks like that on the automation.
No problem with latch mode because this is last value who is writen.
Regards
G

Last edited by grillo; 04-06-2020 at 07:18 AM.
grillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #1015
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillo View Post
Hi Moss

Thank you for your answer, i tested many times the issue and maybe i found something who should help :With my MCU Pro (Mac Os 10.12.6 /Reaper 6.08 64 /drivenByMoss4Reapper 8.95) In touch mode , when i move a fader (touch sensitive) after 0,1s the connection is lost, it is like i had removed my finger of the fader. I continue to move the fader ; my finger is recognize once again and lost 0.1s after ..So that write peaks like that on the automation.
No problem with latch mode because this is last value who is writen.
Regards
G
Got it! Wasted the whole day on this and was close to give up!
You can cleary see what is actually going on if you decrease the automation rate down to 10ms, then you see that it jumps between the fader position and the actual envelope value. Some hours later I found out that you have to implement a callback to tell Reaper that touch for volume and/or pan should be active, arggghhh. At least a basic documentation for the Reaper API would be so helpful...
With MCU it works now for volume but not for pan since there is no touch for the knobs. I found a workaround which works with last-touched time, maybe I will implement this too.

As a crude workaround till the next update you can increase the automation update up to 1000ms, which will smooth out the jumps.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:32 AM   #1016
grillo

Quote:
Got it! Wasted the whole day on this and was close to give up!
You can cleary see what is actually going on if you decrease the automation rate down to 10ms, then you see that it jumps between the fader position and the actual envelope value. Some hours later I found out that you have to implement a callback to tell Reaper that touch for volume and/or pan should be active, arggghhh. At least a basic documentation for the Reaper API would be so helpful...
With MCU it works now for volume but not for pan since there is no touch for the knobs. I found a workaround which works with last-touched time, maybe I will implement this too.

As a crude workaround till the next update you can increase the automation update up to 1000ms, which will smooth out the jumps.
Great Moss you're a master!
Thank for the solution and the advices, it's usable with that rate (or sup) for automation update. I'll wait you're next update
G
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #1017
moss

Just released Version 8.96!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Included PDF manual
    • Fixed: Buttons in the Simulator UI which expect a specific CC value did not work
    • Fixed: Fader/knob touch states were not sent to Reaper
    • Fixed: Some texts were not displayed in the simulator
  • APC40 MkII
    • New: Added user mode
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Do not switch to play mode when changing tracks in Volume, Pan and Send modes.
  • MCU
    • New: Option+Tempo/Ticks toggles between displaying the time or beats. Tempo/Ticks toggles the display of ticks/milliseconds or the current tempo for the last 3 digits. Both are also available in the settings.
    • Fixed: Fixed some issues with fader touch
  • Novation SLMkIII
    • New: Added user mode. Long press the UP button and then 8th row button below the display. Page names are configurable in the settings.
  • OSC
    • Fixed: /time/str now really sends the time (did send measures before)
  • Push 1/2
    • New: Cancel notification message when changing modes
    • Fixed: Position now really shows the time (did display measures before)

Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #1018
politcat

this is amazing s/w, Thank you!
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:53 AM   #1019
grillo

Quote:

Enjoy!
Thank's a lot!
G
Old 04-14-2020, 04:37 AM   #1020
grillo

Quote:

• All devices
    • New: Included PDF manual
    • Fixed: Buttons in the Simulator UI which expect a specific CC value did not work
    • Fixed: Fader/knob touch states were not sent to Reaper
    • Fixed: Some texts were not displayed in the simulator
  • APC40 MkII
    • New: Added user mode
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Do not switch to play mode when changing tracks in Volume, Pan and Send modes.
  • MCU
    • New: Option+Tempo/Ticks toggles between displaying the time or beats. Tempo/Ticks toggles the display of ticks/milliseconds or the current tempo for the last 3 digits. Both are also available in the settings.
    • Fixed: Fixed some issues with fader touch
  • Novation SLMkIII
    • New: Added user mode. Long press the UP button and then 8th row button below the display. Page names are configurable in the settings.
  • OSC
    • Fixed: /time/str now really sends the time (did send measures before)
  • Push 1/2
    • New: Cancel notification message when changing modes
    • Fixed: Position now really shows the time (did display measures before)

Enjoy!
Hi Moss

I have found a bug with the panoramic :
On a MCU pro + your last driver + reaper 6 a pan message sent from reaper is received inverted on the MCU.

If my pan is set 75% left in a reaper track the MCU show and understand a 75% Right pan.

The issue is only from reaper to MCU, in the other sens it 's ok.

Regards
G
Old 04-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #1021
Joebox

Default The driver crashes Reaper

Hi Moss
just installed Latest Reaper version, then the latest DBM4R (8.96).
First deleted all previous files and folders in UserPlugin, then extract the new version.
In the Configure screen, I choose "Add". Just after choosing a Controller/utility- Reaper crashes.Any idea why?

The log file is attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip hs_err_pid2248.zip (13.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:39 PM   #1022
politcat

Uh oh

My Push 2 is frozen in Reaper. restarting Reaper doesn't help with or without Push being on. Altho frozen, I can add a track in Reaper and the Push screen updates, but buttons, pads etc not working.

What's worse it's not working at all with Ableton Live now. the screen just goes blank after opening Live.

help!
Old 04-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #1023
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillo View Post
Hi Moss

I have found a bug with the panoramic :
On a MCU pro + your last driver + reaper 6 a pan message sent from reaper is received inverted on the MCU.

If my pan is set 75% left in a reaper track the MCU show and understand a 75% Right pan.

The issue is only from reaper to MCU, in the other sens it 's ok.

Regards
G
I cannot reproduce that. Is that on any specific channel type?
Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #1024
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebox View Post
Hi Moss
just installed Latest Reaper version, then the latest DBM4R (8.96).
First deleted all previous files and folders in UserPlugin, then extract the new version.
In the Configure screen, I choose "Add". Just after choosing a Controller/utility- Reaper crashes.Any idea why?

The log file is attached
Hmm, from the log file I can only guess that the DLL is somehow damaged. Could you please try to download it again and unzip?
Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #1025
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
Uh oh

My Push 2 is frozen in Reaper. restarting Reaper doesn't help with or without Push being on. Altho frozen, I can add a track in Reaper and the Push screen updates, but buttons, pads etc not working.

What's worse it's not working at all with Ableton Live now. the screen just goes blank after opening Live.

help!
Maybe try a new USB cable or another port?
Old 04-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #1026
politcat

Quote:
Maybe try a new USB cable or another port?
I don't understand those solutions. I'm probably not being clear.

The script caused my Push to freeze and now go blank in Live. Every thing was fine before trying the script, also, the cable and port are not broken

Here's a strange behavior... After it freezes, I add a track through Reaper, Push updates with the new track but adds this crazy orange color to the pads even though no color is chosen in Reaper

Last edited by politcat; 04-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #1027
Joebox

Quote:
Hmm, from the log file I can only guess that the DLL is somehow damaged. Could you please try to download it again and unzip?
Tried that again now (uninstall-download-unzip-extract). Same result
Is there any Reaper file that keeps any trace of DBM4R which I also should edit?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:52 AM   #1028
moss

Quote:
I don't understand those solutions. I'm probably not being clear.

The script caused my Push to freeze and now go blank in Live. Every thing was fine before trying the script, also, the cable and port are not broken

Here's a strange behavior... After it freezes, I add a track through Reaper, Push updates with the new track but adds this crazy orange color to the pads even though no color is chosen in Reaper
When started I change the color table to be the same as with Push 1. Ableton changed that in the latest Firmware update. The process is a bit slow with Reaper since I had to implement several retries and checks, that's why you see the orange for a about a second. Since this process seems not to complete on your system (see the DrivenByMoss log window for that) and your display is not working at all, I suggested to try a different cable and port, also do you have power connected?
If you have mixed up colors in Ableton, you need to turn it off and on again (maybe wait 3 seconds in between) but the display is totally unrelated to that.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #1029
politcat

Quote:
I suggested to try a different cable and port, also do you have power connected?
I didn't think it was cable or port, but I changed both anyway. The problem persists, blank screen in Live, frozen screen in Reaper

power is always connected
Old 04-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #1030
moss

Quote:
I didn't think it was cable or port, but I changed both anyway. The problem persists, blank screen in Live, frozen screen in Reaper

power is always connected
Could it be that the "Display brightness" is set to 0? The setting is above the color settings.
In Ableton you can press Setup and turn the 2nd knob above the display.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #1031
frano

Default USER MODE Apc40 mk2

Hi,

I looked into manual, but I can't find how to map the knobs in user mode. Midi learn does not work in this case.

Thank you for Your help!
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #1032
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frano View Post
Hi,

I looked into manual, but I can't find how to map the knobs in user mode. Midi learn does not work in this case.

Thank you for Your help!
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXQribt7KQ

In the manual see section 2.2.5.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #1033
moss

8.97 is online!

• All devices
    • New: Project/document specific settings (e.g. Scale or Note Repeat Settings) are now stored with the project.
    • New: There is now a dialog to edit project/document specific settings (click on the Project button or assign an Action key).
  • Launchkey Mini Mk3
    • New: Display user pages when switching in user mode
  • MCU
    • New: IMPORTANT: The device MIDI ports are now ordered left to right, which means if your main device is to the right, it needs to be the last!
    • New: You can configure for each of your MCU devices if it should act like the main device (e.g. enable transport controls; you can have multiple) and has now the option to support the specific Mackie extender protocol.
  • OSC
    • New: The bank page size can be configured from 1-200.
  • Push 2
    • New: Color settings are used in MIDI clip mode. Furthermore, always at least 4 rows are displayed.

Enjoy!
Old 04-19-2020, 04:31 AM   #1034
moss

Here is how the project settings work:
https://youtu.be/cJpzwbh0i8c
Old 04-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #1035
grandfougue

Default i have problem

Hi i wanted to switch to the new version but it doesn't work properly on win 8.1 can you help me everything worked with the old version thank you
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #1036
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Hi i wanted to switch to the new version but it doesn't work properly on win 8.1 can you help me everything worked with the old version thank you
Can you please tell me what this message says? My French is limited to "Je m'appelle Jürgen" and some dirty words ;-)
Old 04-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #1037
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Reaper.exe System error: impossible to start the program because jvm.dll is missing on your computer. Try to reinstall the program to fix this problem!;
Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #1038
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Please check if all files are extracted correctly.
1) Clear the directory
2) Download again the ZIP file to be sure that it is not broken
3) Extract again and make sure to keep the sub-directories
Old 04-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #1039
protodude

Hi Moss,

Thank you for the update!

Unfortunately, if I install the plugin, Reaper just closes immediately after opening - whether it is with a new project or loading a previous one. No error messages at all.

If I remove the plugin files from the 'UserPlugins' folder, Reaper opens as usual.

I've tried redownloading, extracting with 7zip instead of using the built-in Windows function, rebooting the machine, but to no avail. The OS is Windows 10, fully updated after a full reformat this weekend.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? Besides that, both as a workaround and for troubleshooting, is there any way I could download v8.96 or v8.95?

Thanks!
protodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:47 AM   #1040
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by protodude View Post
Hi Moss,

Thank you for the update!

Unfortunately, if I install the plugin, Reaper just closes immediately after opening - whether it is with a new project or loading a previous one. No error messages at all.

If I remove the plugin files from the 'UserPlugins' folder, Reaper opens as usual.

I've tried redownloading, extracting with 7zip instead of using the built-in Windows function, rebooting the machine, but to no avail. The OS is Windows 10, fully updated after a full reformat this weekend.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? Besides that, both as a workaround and for troubleshooting, is there any way I could download v8.96 or v8.95?

Thanks!
They are still on the server, just exchange the version number.

No real idea about the crash, the problem with this is that Reaper does not write any logging information.