Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #841
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I have some N99 masks I bought for mowing the lawn. What will they do for me in public please?

Also, my understanding is you can't get covid just from your hands, they have to touch your face. Is that correct? It doesn't transmit through the skin right?

The N99 masks will offer some protection, but only if you keep it clean (i.e. do not touch it while you are in public, or you will possibly transmit pollutants to the mask).

Yes, it doesn't transmit through the skin, they have to touch your face.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #842
pipelineaudio
Mortal

More and more in the next few days you will see governments recommending the public wear masks, and for the same reasons we've been saying all along

1: The countries winning this thing are all wearing them
2: we should all assume we have the disease and do what we can to avoid spreading it to others

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...t-the-question

As we have said since the very beginning

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 04-03-2020 at 03:02 PM.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #843
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This is one of the most up to date and informative links you can get on the subject, about the world's leading microbiologists and virologists running a podcast.

Microbe world's shows like This Week in Virology and Immunology are extremely informative and told by the people risking their lives to fight this.

Some clarification on David Price's video and food borne possibilities were answered on this last episode and they even answered one of mine!

http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 04-03-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #844
karbomusic

I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone here debating to not wear masks FWIW.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #845
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone here debating to not wear masks FWIW.
Good, but its still all the rage among many health departments in the US and deniers are having their yuks at people wearing masks
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #846
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Good, but its still all the rage among many health departments in the US and deniers are having their yuks at people wearing masks
There's certainly a lot of confusion but publicly the majority of what I see is you should wear it in case you are infected and otherwise, even if it only stops you from touching your face and/or if it helps with slowing contracting through air - just wear it - but another big problem right now is remaining sections of the country who can't even muster up the guts to formally direct people to stay home - because not being in contact is 1000% better than contact (backed by science).

To clarify, the main don't wear message is to not have the public use all the medical masks that we desperately need for health care professionals - use something else - that's where much of the confusion lies because people may see "don't wear masks" and don't take the time to understand the context - not always but I've seen a good bit of it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-03-2020 at 10:32 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #847
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

To clarify, the main don't wear message is to not have the public use all the medical masks that we desperately need for health care professionals - use something else - that's where much of the confusion lies because people may see "don't wear masks" and don't take the time to understand the context - not always but I've seen a good bit of it.
And it was certainly understandable at the beginning, as we saw hospitals in Italy quickly run out of PPE.

What really got a lot of us upset was that very quickly other asian countries began sharing with us how they always made DIY masks during bad flu seasons or SARS time, and even showing links to a CDC page showing exactly how and still the CDC and the WHO discouraged that. THAT was messed up. And to some extent at least one of those parties was still doing that as of yesterday

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/6/05-1468_article

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 04-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #848
karbomusic

^I agree and as far as I know we are still in a severe shortage or will be very soon of actual medical masks.

I think I'll strap a pair of my wife's panties on my face if I have to go out later today - should be a hoot.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #849
pipelineaudio
Mortal

New episode of This Week in Virology

Crazy to see all these guys become rock stars all of a sudden. We should have been heeding their warnings all along. Hopefully governments learn from this! Scary how episodes in past years predicted exactly this all

https://youtu.be/EhCCiIaGae8
Old 04-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #850
peter5992

Army Corps of Engineers on building facilities to host patients

Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #851
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I have some N99 masks I bought for mowing the lawn. What will they do for me in public please?

...... you wear a mask in public not for yourself but to help prevent others from being infected.

But if it's a properly fitting respirator it would be fairly protective. Keep it away from diesel engines.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #852
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Seems that hopes for a home-test kit (to detect antibodies, signalling whether you already had the virus) have disappeared, for the time being at least.

_
Which is sad, and ridiculous, given Thailand has developed a 15 minute based on a drop of blood on a test strip. The west would seem to be more interested in "solutions" that require Officially Sanctioned Labs that take time and money.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-test-11966591
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #853
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Army Corps of Engineers on building facilities to host patients

Wow, after 20 years we may finally have a legit use for our Convention Center!

These guys re engineered the marsh behind my mom's house after an exceptionally insane flood in the early 90's. Despite far worse floods, hurricanes and rains since then it has held to the point where boats sailing down our road has never been repeated. Pretty incredible to see them work. Seeing them put up an emergency dock in high surf is AMAZING!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #854
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
This is obviously not working very well, because nobody is RTFT anyway, and the nature of the situation is making a thread like this a magnet for people being eager to spread all kinds of disinformation. Not good for my blood pressure figures.

Please try to refrain from questioning the severity of the situation, discussing the severity of the situation, or replying to posts doing that, so this thread can survive for a few days more. Instead, point them to one of the posts asking everyone to keep meta-discussions like that out of the thread if possible. Thank you.
Hopefully this post doesn't get deleted, but it might, and if so I apologise in advance.

If anyone wants to discuss Covid-19 outside the above parameters (or anything else) and give Ollie a break,

our Kiwi legend Garrick has recreated a brand new lounge here: https://discourse.thereaperlounge.space/

So I suggest you go there IF you need to do so, many of the old lounge gang are there already.

Last edited by Bevosss; Yesterday at 01:47 AM. Reason: apparently I still can't spell covid-19
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #855
lxm

O B E Y
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #856
Judders

First person for me to know personally has died of COVID-19.

Not a very close friend, hadn't spoken to him in years, but he was a nice, funny guy and only in his 30's. Very sad.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #857
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
First person for me to know personally has died of COVID-19.

Not a very close friend, hadn't spoken to him in years, but he was a nice, funny guy and only in his 30's. Very sad.
I'm really sorry man. That sucks and to be in his 30s is terribly tragic.

I just listened to This Week in Virology and while almost all of it was over my head one of them said that virtually everyone will eventually get it in their lifetime and the the only hope is a vaccine. He also said it's better to get it in your 60s than your 80s. Apparently we build up some immunity after surviving it. This world is getting more dangerous.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #858
pipelineaudio
Mortal

One of the hosts, Vincent, has a playlist on youtube where you can access the lectures of his virology classes which start WAY more basic so its nearly understandable for me.

I heard of TWIV because of their other show This week in parisitism, which was on the InfidelGuy show which of course was a big influence on early reaper because of a lot of technical issues in the before they used the term "podcast" world and I wanted to make sure reaper could solve as many of those issues as possible.

Crazy how it comes full circle, now Vincent has to host at home and was having some issues with his audio so I'm sure we could lend a hand
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #859
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
One of the hosts, Vincent, has a playlist on youtube where you can access the lectures of his virology classes which start WAY more basic so its nearly understandable for me.

I heard of TWIV because of their other show This week in parisitism, which was on the InfidelGuy show which of course was a big influence on early reaper because of a lot of technical issues in the before they used the term "podcast" world and I wanted to make sure reaper could solve as many of those issues as possible.

Crazy how it comes full circle, now Vincent has to host at home and was having some issues with his audio so I'm sure we could lend a hand
They did make me want to buy a multi focal microscope though !
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #860
chip mcdonald

There are industrial places where people are working, where dozens have been infected, 100+ being monitored, and "stay at home" hasn't applied. Working side by side with others in enclosed rooms, "no meetings larger than 10" the safety precaution. People don't want to lose their pay by getting furloughed, so nobody is going to speak up.

Corporations have been given rights well beyond people. Ultimately at these places it will infect everyone, their associated families, and nobody will be blamed.

Last edited by chip mcdonald; Today at 09:15 AM.
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #861
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Which is sad, and ridiculous, given Thailand has developed a 15 minute based on a drop of blood on a test strip. The west would seem to be more interested in "solutions" that require Officially Sanctioned Labs that take time and money.
Labs that take time and money and are affiliated with Jared Kushner's business associates...
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #862
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Penultimate friendly reminder: Stay clear of political terrain in this thread. Besides all the redundancy with the unnerving news, playing the censor here is tiring, unrewarding and sad.
C'mon people. Please. This is a useful thread, let's not get it shut down.
fred garvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #863
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
There are industrial places where people are working, where dozens have been infected, 100+ being monitored, and "stay at home" hasn't applied. Working side by side with others in enclosed rooms, "no meetings larger than 10" the safety precaution. People don't want to lose their pay by getting furloughed, so nobody is going to speak up.

Corporations have been given rights well beyond people. Ultimately at these places it will infect everyone, their associated families, and nobody will be blamed.

Same thing here in CA ... construction websites are still open. I run past a big construction every morning and see the workers out there. All wear hard hats and boots / reflective gear etc., as mandated by law, but not all wear masks, and social distancing is not always possible. I appreciate that they want to keep their job but at the same time, some common sense would go a long way.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #864
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Same thing here in CA ... construction websites are still open. I run past a big construction every morning and see the workers out there. A
Well, in the circumstance I'm referencing they're inside in rooms, sometimes small rooms, for extended periods of time. But, "no meetings with 10 or more people" so they're being "cautious"....

..Which is super ironic given the place I'm referencing. Anyhow...

If we get past this regaining control from corporations needs to be the first order of business. Corporate interests have made this worse, and are literally killing people.
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #865
lucas_LCS

Facemasks now being recommended for everyone by the CDC:
Quote:
The change in recommendation came from new information related to symptoms of the coronavirus. A significant number of people with the virus are asymptomatic, showing little to no symptoms, reports the CDC. There is also an incubation period when people who have contracted the virus have not had it long enough for any symptoms to emerge. In both instances, these people are still contagious and run the risk of getting others sick.

While these homemade face coverings offer a sense of comfort, they are by no means a complete solution. Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force response coordinator, said masks should be considered an “additive” to social distancing and not a substitute.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/diy-...180552062.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...100539753.html

::
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #866
peter5992

Hm. If you're going the DIY route, one thing you might consider is the cycling face mask. I've had one for over 15 years, originally designed to protect head against cold in colder months. If you pull it down to cover your nose, mouth and neck it might work. These things are washable, mine's been washed I don't know how many times the past 15 years.
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #867
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Dear friends REAPERITES from the United States
I am Belgian and work in healthcare (home for the elderly)
Without giving in to panic, I urge you very seriously not to take this corona virus lightly.
It's not just a flu.
The virus is not dangerous for most of the population but may be particularly virulent for the elderly and weak people, so it is very important to limit social interactions as much as possible in order to limit the spread as much as possible. Protect yourself so as not to become a vector of the virus and inadvertently contaminate those around you.
By following a few simples hygiene and containment guidelines, you will slow the spread of the virus and allow your healthcare institutions not to be saturated.

The situation here in Europe is very worrying and, even, in some countries like Italy, dramatic

Raise awareness among those around you, your friends, your families and do not take this crisis lightly.

Reno
Some of us are taking it very seriously. Unfortunately, there are many people in state and federal government who are sending wrong signals out to the population, so a lot of people are not taking it seriously enough and are not staying isolated. Deaths are starting to skyrocket, but we have such a toxic political situation in the U.S. these days that many think it's merely a hoax. We have an entire news network that treated it as a hoax for weeks and finally changed their tune recently. But we are still being given false information about "cures" and "treatment" etc., from the very top.

It's a sorry situation.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #868
BenK-msx

Excuse the question but why can't a user talk about the relative seriousness of the problem?

Isn't that the fundamental issue at hand?

Can one not wonder why deaths 'with' covid19 and death 'due to' are not seperated in the stats and drs can presume someone died with c19 and then must report it as a c19 death and so inflating the death figures?

And therefore wonder if a total economic shutdown devastating livelihoods, well being etc for years to come a proportionate response?
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #869
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Hawaii is going nuts over 5g towers now, thinking they cause viruses

I don't know if we even have 5G towers
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #870
BenK-msx

started a reply but then realized the commies have taken over and free thought, speech, sceptism, challenging thought etc. are all verboten, and fluffiness is demanded.

(As I mix up my authoritarian systems)

I can drive around and find nothing open bar a supermarket or two. Nothing. Nada. All at the same time. Two weeks now, already devestating.

can't do anything without stasi style shaming.

Music becomes ever important, but only listening to the very best stuff, desire to create now isn't there.
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #871
fred garvin

Quote:
Hm. If you're going the DIY (mask) route...
Made mine out of an old t shirt cut into somewhat the shape of a mask. Works great, comfy, easy to make and use. Top tip: make sure it's well oversized, makes for easy fitting and having enough material to make it bunch up at the top helps make it kind of seal.

Went out Friday for me and today for my mom. Much improved over last week. TP proudly displayed in the front entrance of the store. Everywhere smiles and courtesy and much more masking though some people still haven't got the memo. Pretty much everything hard to get last week is back except chicken noodle and tomato soup and tortillas. I guess every night is taco night now with people staying home and cooking. Local businesses especially restaurants are in dire straits but still amazing spirit and generosity, with many restaurants offering contactless takeaway, free or discount meals for first responders etc. Seems like every business that can help is going all out, breweries making sanitizer, aerospace companies making masks.

Stay safe, be strong, this too shall pass.
fred garvin is online now   Reply With Quote