Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #1
rckrebs
Human being with feelings

Default Update from Catalina 10.15.7?

So I have an 8 year old MacBookPro running the above mentioned OS. I use an aggregate audio interface with 2 Presonus interfaces each with an ADA8200 expander attached. My latency is about 4ms, which is fine for my 65 year old ears, and my hobby setup.

I must say my setup is bomb proof and runs without issues. I have no interest in moving to an M1 equipped laptop any time soon.

However, is there any benefit in upgrading to BIg Sur or Monterey for my old Intel machine? Maybe I just have a software version of FOMO? Thought I’d ask.
rckrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
Broken Glass Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrebs View Post
So I have an 8 year old MacBookPro running the above mentioned OS. I use an aggregate audio interface with 2 Presonus interfaces each with an ADA8200 expander attached. My latency is about 4ms, which is fine for my 65 year old ears, and my hobby setup.

I must say my setup is bomb proof and runs without issues. I have no interest in moving to an M1 equipped laptop any time soon.

However, is there any benefit in upgrading to BIg Sur or Monterey for my old Intel machine? Maybe I just have a software version of FOMO? Thought I’d ask.
I'd stay right where you are. I'm on 10.15.7 on all 3 of my Mac machines, and fully subscribe to "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Especially knowing there are some plugin compatibility issues with Big Sur/Monterey/Ventura with some 3rd party vendors
Broken Glass Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
inthevoid

Don't do it - updated from Mojave to Monterey on my old Intel Mac Pro the other week and really wish I hadn't. The UI is much more sluggish and a host of problems with things not working the same way (for example Dropbox can only be used on an internal drive now...)
inthevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
rckrebs

Thank you. I will be staying put
rckrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:23 PM   #5
Tone Ranger

Interesting - I made the jump from Mojave to Monterey a few weeks ago, and am really happy I did! Everything runs smoother - Reaper has been great, the only issue I've been having is my second monitor setup not being remembered on boot up (not a deal breaker). Also, my Dropbox folder is on my audio drive - an external RAID SSD, and working fine. Might just be down to which computer you're running....who knows? 2019 iMac here - Monterey might be a push for an 8 year old MBP??
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote