Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Woods1
Human being with feelings

Default More I get in the More I fear The Reaper

This thing is like a maze. It seems like the more I get into it the more confusing it seems.

For example - A few days ago I spent a fair amount of time going over the metronome and pre roll settings. And also project start time, project start measure and sett zero to edit cursor (all in project settings). Then another day I spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to fade in and out the entire song so I could upload a copy to mmy SoundClick page. I did this by viewing the master track and fading that. But I don't think I saved that change after I rendered the song I closed reaper without saving. And I don't see the fade graphics now when I view the master track.

But now Weird things are happening. Such as when I press record I can't hear anything until I hit the beginning of bar 1. And when I press play I can't hear my drum track until it hits the beginning of bar 1.

can you tell me what you think is going on?

I am starting to think Reaper is a complicated little beast.

Ciao,
Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 03-07-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods1 View Post
This thing is like a maze. It seems like the more I get into it the more confusing it seems.

For example - A few days ago I spent a fair amount of time going over the metronome and pre roll settings. And also project start time, project start measure and sett zero to edit cursor (all in project settings). Then another day I spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to fade in and out the entire song so I could upload a copy to mmy SoundClick page. I did this by viewing the master track and fading that. But I don't think I saved that change after I rendered the song I closed reaper without saving. And I don't see the fade graphics now when I view the master track.

But now Weird things are happening. Such as when I press record I can't hear anything until I hit the beginning of bar 1. And when I press play I can't hear my drum track until it hits the beginning of bar 1.

can you tell me what you think is going on?

I am starting to think Reaper is a complicated little beast.

Ciao,
Woods
re: the master track fade, bring up the master track in Track view (usually Ctrl-Alt-M) if it's not already visible and press 'V' to show the master track volume envelope. You would see, and be able to edit, the master fade there
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #3
barrymk

I came to Reaper after a couple of years of n-Track crashing on me hourly. Yes there is a steep learning curve to Reaper but it's very stable and full featured and very customisable. I don't get far into the custom side as I'm a non-tech recorder but the more you use it the more you will appreciate it. Stick with it. Cheers
Old 03-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
atza

Don't fear the Reaper

(sorry just coudln't resist )
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Coachz

Do you need to right click arm and turn on monitoring live media? Reaper is so deep and flexible it can be a lot to take in. Try to watch some videos when you have a spare 10 minutes to get exposure

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Metronome explained
http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187860
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Woods1

When I bring up the master track I can not see any envelopes. So I think they were removed.

The problem must be related to metronome, pre roll etc settings.

If you have the metronome set for 2 bars and a count in and a pre roll all tangled up in there - and then you hit record - is it possible that you do not hear anything in your headphones until you reach a certain bar?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods1 View Post

I'm a little confused here - wouldn't your project start on bar 1? Why would you hear anything prior (unless you're just talking about hearing the metronome preroll)? Maybe post a screenshot of your track view and one of your metronome settings.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
funkydrummer1966

Default Editing

I'm new to daw and reaper... so I wondering am I the only one that finds editing live drums in reaper incredibly hard?? I follow along with the videos... but it never works . Getting frustrated and ready to try pro tools!
funkydrummer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Woods1

It is an incredibly complex thing for me. I too am new to it all and I am not naturally inclined to learn software like this. I too have been extremely frustrated but I don't think that I would find Pro Tools or any other DAW any less complex. I have just put the manual on my tablet and I have audio tutorials on my mp3 player. But there is no substitute for playing with it. I am not able to spend enough hours per day or week playing with it. But I think that regardless of your time commitment -- It is not for the faint of heart.
But we will never surrender.

What (specifically) are you finding hard?