Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #1001
juan_r
Human being with feelings

I'm so glad to hear you're interested in looking into it, Saike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Yeah, that sounds pretty fun. I should have a look at some papers, to see how difficult it is to simulate something realistic there. I've done some basic tuned Karplus stuff before (in both SEQS and Reflectosaurus), but nothing more fancy. Know any good papers on the more advanced stuff that PSP might be using?
SEQS.
I've had a bit of play with the Reflectosaurus Karplus-Strong patch, that's why I felt like I could ask in the first place.

No specific papers as it is now, although I remember running into a couple of good ones while browsing around during the worst of covid isolation. I'll be sure to point you to any interesting literature that turns up. Not sure the math involved is computationally friendly, though.

I suspect PianoVerb itself isn't much more sophisticated than, say, a banks of comb filters - but to be honest I'm shooting in the dark: my guess is based on financial/economical, not auditory/scientific grounds. If they had developed more sophisticated technology, I think they would have come out with some commercial thingy based on it - like a small physical modeling synth or something like that.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:44 AM   #1002
dom64

Default Abyss Reverb > 8x Oversample = crazy

Just a little heads up... tldr; careful with oversampling / abyss reverb didn't like 8x oversampling.

I went to play guitar through Reaper just now, but I had forgotten that sometime earlier I'd set chain oversampling to 8x on that track. I simply removed plugins and added other plugins. I loaded an amp sim and Abyss Reverb, but then suddenly a huge noise quickly built up. . .luckily I had LoudMax on the master channel so no problems with level spike. Beware of this if you are not sure what you are doing or have forgotten, 'chain oversampling' can introduce behavioural issues using certain plugins. I will play about some more and find out how Abyss responds to other oversampling settings, but it'd be worth looking into how it responds from a back end perspective I should imagine!

Thanks for all your lovely plugins Saike!
All the best
Dom
dom64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #1003
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom64 View Post
Just a little heads up... tldr; careful with oversampling / abyss reverb didn't like 8x oversampling.

I went to play guitar through Reaper just now, but I had forgotten that sometime earlier I'd set chain oversampling to 8x on that track. I simply removed plugins and added other plugins. I loaded an amp sim and Abyss Reverb, but then suddenly a huge noise quickly built up. . .luckily I had LoudMax on the master channel so no problems with level spike. Beware of this if you are not sure what you are doing or have forgotten, 'chain oversampling' can introduce behavioural issues using certain plugins. I will play about some more and find out how Abyss responds to other oversampling settings, but it'd be worth looking into how it responds from a back end perspective I should imagine!

Thanks for all your lovely plugins Saike!
All the best
Dom
Oh man, thanks for letting me know. I guess I should do a little tour of all my plugins to see which ones behave poorly when doing this and why. I'll see if I can find some time to do this soonish.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #1004
sai'ke

A new toy is on the repo. It's called Partials.

It looks like this:

It sounds like this:
Playing with inharmonicity/stiffness: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...z.mp3?raw=true
Break run through it: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...k.mp3?raw=true
Simple sounds with MIDI input: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...t.mp3?raw=true, https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Audio...2.mp3?raw=true

So what is it?
It's a modal resonator effect. It can be played almost like an instrument, or kind of like a reverb-like thing. It's pretty good at string-like and marimba-like sounds and pairs well with a dash of reverb after it (dry it can sound a bit meek).

I highly recommend reading the following few notes on how to use it:

Controlling the pitch
In non-MIDI mode, partials takes audio input and uses its internal resonators to transform the audio into something tonal. The little keyboard at the bottom can be used to set up to 5 fundamental pitches (each leading to a large number of resonators based on that fundamental). Simply click to turn a note off or on.

In MIDI mode (toggle on the bottom right), partials sets the fundamental resonator frequencies to notes you play. In the current setup, there's a max polyphony of 5.

Frequency vs time domain mode
It has two modes in which to do this:
Mode 1: Frequency domain mode. This is the mode that takes the least CPU. For most intents and purposes it can simulate far more resonators leading to a much brighter sound.
Mode 2: Time domain mode. This one is heavier and runs the risk of exploding (but it allows feedback for unusual effects). In time domain mode, you have to select the number of resonators to simulate per note. Note that a larger count may become prohibitively taxing on your CPU!
You can toggle between these modes with the little button above the feedback dial.

Note: This plugin is very much in an alpha state still, so be on the lookout for bugs and please report them back to me

My recommendation, go wild. Play with different inputs. Crackly inputs, percussive sequences or unusual noises sound good in my limited experience. I may still consider a future extension where the plugin provides a hammer strike itself, but this is currently not implemented.

Happy experimenting! Oh also, big thanks goes out to Geraintluff for pointing me towards more efficiently evaluating these resonators in the spectral domain.

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-24-2022 at 02:40 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #1005
Vagelis

Wow partials! Reminds me Prism from Reaktor but with a big variety of physical models, amazing <3
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #1006
Andreya

Hey! Resonators are cool.

Those demos sound good too, gonna try this out. Bonus points from me for cutting a jungle break into 3/4 time.
Andreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #1007
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreya View Post
Hey! Resonators are cool.

Those demos sound good too, gonna try this out. Bonus points from me for cutting a jungle break into 3/4 time.

I really like pushing breaks through this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Wow partials! Reminds me Prism from Reaktor but with a big variety of physical models, amazing <3
Thank you

I've just added an extra little convenience thing for the people who want to do some circuit bending and implement their own models. CTRL + Click on the logo will bring you to dev mode. Here the plugin will use the "custom model" defined in `saike_modal_custom.jsfx-inc`.

In that file, you find a single function that gets called to dole out the partials.

This function is called from partials with the fundamental (f_0) and the partial currently being computed (partial_idx, starting at 1). All you need to do is make sure you return new_amp, new_freq and new_damp. Partials will not touch those variables, so you can reuse previous ones, if you want the current partial to depend on the last one computed. Note though that in that case, you should initialize them yourself on the first call (partial_idx=1) because partials will also not initialize those variables for you.

The sliders you see in the UI are accessible through the variables relative_position, damp, f_damp and inharmonic. You can repurpose those to your heart's content.

Just FYI though: Every time you update the plugin, that file gets overwritten, so you might wanna rename it so you don't lose your own models.

If you come across a particularly cool model that you think may be useful for others, please let me know, and I will consider adding it to the core set. Curious what you come up with.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:59 AM   #1008
JonLinnarson

Partials is a sound design playground I haven't had this much fun with a plug-in since I bought Madrona Labs Kaivo!
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #1009
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
Partials is a sound design playground I haven't had this much fun with a plug-in since I bought Madrona Labs Kaivo!
Glad you're having fun with it
Old 05-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #1010
Neuro... No Neuro

Partials is receiving MIDI in the plugin itself (the notes I'm triggering are showing up on the keyboard at the bottom of the screen/MIDI is turned to orange for "ON").

There is no sound coming from it. What do I need to connect to make it make sound? All my other synths and audio files are making sound but Partials is not.

Halp, Mister Wizard!
Neuro... No Neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #1011
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro... No Neuro View Post
Partials is receiving MIDI in the plugin itself (the notes I'm triggering are showing up on the keyboard at the bottom of the screen/MIDI is turned to orange for "ON").

There is no sound coming from it. What do I need to connect to make it make sound? All my other synths and audio files are making sound but Partials is not.

Halp, Mister Wizard!
It needs MIDI and audio input. Currently it only operates as an effect and not as a standalone synth. That said, if you put a regular synth in front of it (one that forwards the MIDI notes) you can get a pretty wide variety of sounds. Plugin works best with percussive, granular or noise-like sounds. Anything wideband really. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #1012
Andreya

You really weren't kidding when you wrote "tends to make things louder" on the tension parameter tooltip. I didn't realize the danger soon enough and sent it a spike at about full tension, the output read +51dB.

My bad really, it's always good to keep a limiter on after any alpha software. And the automute function is a good friend.

But I am wondering if maybe that parameter could use some rescaling? I haven't found any settings yet where the top 15%-ish of the tension dial *don't* make it blow up. But I haven't explored all its possibilities yet obviously.

It's a really cool plug otherwise tho! Physical modeling is such a treat, it's pretty much always fun. Thanks for this one.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:35 PM   #1013
ReaMike

Partials is great. Thanks, sai'ke!
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #1014
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Partials is great. Thanks, sai'ke!
Thanks, glad you're having fun with it.

Quote:
You really weren't kidding when you wrote "tends to make things louder" on the tension parameter tooltip. I didn't realize the danger soon enough and sent it a spike at about full tension, the output read +51dB.

My bad really, it's always good to keep a limiter on after any alpha software. And the automute function is a good friend.

But I am wondering if maybe that parameter could use some rescaling? I haven't found any settings yet where the top 15%-ish of the tension dial *don't* make it blow up. But I haven't explored all its possibilities yet obviously.

It's a really cool plug otherwise tho! Physical modeling is such a treat, it's pretty much always fun. Thanks for this one.
Yeah, sorry, that's on me really. I should've known better. It's a good point really. It was also a bit of a pet peeve of mine when I tried using it on a few tracks. The huge range of stiffness was definitely not very user friendly. For STFT mode that stiffness didn't actually do anything other than pure gain (since in STFT mode the resonator is linear). For the nonlinear feedback mode it alters the weighting between input and feedback, but still isn't particularly friendly. So what I've decided is to constrain its use only to the time domain mode and narrow the range a bit and compensate the gain applied by the stiffness at the output now. Note that changing this factor too fast can still result in some loudness though! This should make things feel a bit more controllable.

I'm still tinkering with the time domain mode. There's a few things left that I want to try in regard to the feedback.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #1015
Andreya

Seems sensible. Will try the updated version.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #1016
fotisandstuff

Hello, I have a question regarding Lava Reverb. When set to Spectral, I cannot automate the pitch. Neither track envelope nor parameter modulation works.
fotisandstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #1017
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotisandstuff View Post
Hello, I have a question regarding Lava Reverb. When set to Spectral, I cannot automate the pitch. Neither track envelope nor parameter modulation works.
Thanks for reporting. The granularity of the slider was very coarse which meant it snapped to integer values only. Should be fixed now.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #1018
fotisandstuff

Quote:
Thanks for reporting. The granularity of the slider was very coarse which meant it snapped to integer values only. Should be fixed now.
Yes!!! It works now! Thank you so much, Saike, you're the best!
Old 06-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #1019
sai'ke

No problemo. Just for the record, just did a few small additions to the spectral analyzer.

The first is an option to switch to a note rather than frequency grid on the axis (this includes highlighting black and white keys in the spectrum instead of the vertical frequency grid).

The second is the ability to draw with quadratic interpolation. Not only does this look better, it allows you to estimate peak frequencies better by providing you with a visual guide. This is especially at low frequencies at lower window sizes. Note that ideally, if you're interested in peak frequencies you should be using this feature with spectral smoothing disabled of course.

Note that both additions are entirely optional.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #1020
chuckwood

Thanks so much for Partials, I'm loving it already, so powerful.
Will report if I can find any issues.
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #1021
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwood View Post
Thanks so much for Partials, I'm loving it already, so powerful.
Will report if I can find any issues.
Cool! Thanks!

Fyi; just added the option for partials to respond to pitch bend commands.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #1022
FeedTheCat

Quote:
No problemo. Just for the record, just did a few small additions to the spectral analyzer.
Nice additions! Does keeping the maximum still work? I'm setting a high maxtime but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Maybe I'm just getting lost in all the awesome options lol
Old 06-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #1023
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Nice additions! Does keeping the maximum still work? I'm setting a high maxtime but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Maybe I'm just getting lost in all the awesome options lol
Thanks for the heads up! Should be fixed now (5.0.17).
Old 06-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #1024
sai'ke

Added MIDI note velocity sensitivity to partials. If you press the "velocity" button on the bottom right, a few of the plugin's controls will highlight (similar to how Yutani works). If you now try to change these settings, you will notice a second range appearing (like in the screenshot below).

This second range reflects the range over which the setting will vary depending on the incoming note velocities. The idea is that this will allow for more interesting and dynamic sounds.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #1025
fotisandstuff

Hey, Saike! Remember that bug you fixed on Lava Reverb's Spectral pitch shift? Looks like it still exists in the Shimmer frequency shift.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing that as well

Last edited by fotisandstuff; 06-19-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #1026
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotisandstuff View Post
Hey, Saike! Remember that bug you fixed on Lava Reverb's Spectral pitch shift? Looks like it still exists in the Shimmer frequency shift.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing that as well
No problemo! If only all bugfixes were this easy
Old 06-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #1027
sai'ke

Minor changelog for this weekend:

SEQS
- Bugfix: SEQS block selection (for copy pasting) now correctly takes into account the height of the modulation rows.

Lavaverb
- Bugfix: Fix rendering issue with EQ curves on knob.

Midi arp
- New feature: Allow adding up to 4 custom CCs modulator rows.
- New feature: Midi arp now allows copy/pasting blocks similarly to SEQS (hold shift and drag, outer mouse button then copies). Then doing outer mouse button anywhere else pastes.
- New feature: Midi arp now allows randomizing blocks. Select a block with shift + drag, then press randomize while holding shift. This randomizes the selection.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:54 AM   #1028
scrapeape

o' please lemme at it

Quote:
Minor changelog for this weekend:

SEQS
- Bugfix: SEQS block selection (for copy pasting) now correctly takes into account the height of the modulation rows.

Lavaverb
- Bugfix: Fix rendering issue with EQ curves on knob.

Midi arp
- New feature: Allow adding up to 4 custom CCs modulator rows.
- New feature: Midi arp now allows copy/pasting blocks similarly to SEQS (hold shift and drag, outer mouse button then copies). Then doing outer mouse button anywhere else pastes.
- New feature: Midi arp now allows randomizing blocks. Select a block with shift + drag, then press randomize while holding shift. This randomizes the selection.
scrapeape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #1029
Naquela

Default Yutani Synth

Thanks for so many great plugins.
i have a sugestion for the synth.
Can you add the option to control the ADSRs by a diferent midi note size (you chose the size) , i think with this option you can have release inside the real note or outside , gives a lot of crazy modulations .
can help when you are making a bass line ,chose diferent notes sizes on the synth, etc

it will be real nice a pitch detection in the spectrum analiser.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2022, 01:27 AM   #1030
EvilDragon

Quote:
A new toy is on the repo. It's called Partials
This thing is SICK, man!

One thing that would be super nice is if it could automatically ping an impulse through in MIDI mode, without requiring external audio going through it.

Oh also, maybe there's something that could be done in order NOT to show the dependency files in the FX browser? IIRC some factory JSFX put stuff in Data folder for this.

Boy oh boy... I'm kind of getting tempted to pitch the inclusion of this awesome thing into Surge XT at some point - would you oppose to that (I know about your dislike of GPL3)?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:07 AM   #1031
Andreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
One thing that would be super nice is if it could automatically ping an impulse through in MIDI mode, without requiring external audio going through it.
+1 for this! And also for Partials as a Surge XT oscillator! <3
Old 07-05-2022, 05:28 AM   #1032
JonLinnarson

Quote:

Tools used in order of number of instances: Yutani, Nostalgizer, Lava Verb, Nuker, Reflectosaurus, Stereo Bub III.
Regarding Nuker: I have never tried installing it since it clearly says (EARLY ALPHA - DO NOT USE) but is it a working plug-in? Your plug-ins were the first ones I downloaded/installed through ReaPack and I've always been interested in that one
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #1033
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
Thanks for so many great plugins.
i have a sugestion for the synth.
Can you add the option to control the ADSRs by a diferent midi note size (you chose the size) , i think with this option you can have release inside the real note or outside , gives a lot of crazy modulations .
can help when you are making a bass line ,chose diferent notes sizes on the synth, etc
I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding this request correctly, but do you mean modulate the values for the envelope according to incoming midi velocity? If so, that can already be done. Click vel to highlight which settings can be modulated by MIDI velocity (see GIF below).

Quote:
it will be real nice a pitch detection in the spectrum analiser.
It's a good idea. I'll think about adding this one. For the time being, you can set the scale axis to notes to see an axis of notes rather than frequencies. Or click on the peak to see a little hint label that tells you what pitch you are clicking (it doesn't currently find the peak maximum, but just tells you exactly where you clicked).

Quote:
This thing is SICK, man!

Thanks man!

Yeah, I was thinking of how to best approach that. Just simple bursts of white noise or a spike don't sound as good as actually running some interesting audio with its own characteristic through it. I've just added a small envelope to v0.10 though which allows you to gate the incoming audio. That way you could have some noise source provide texture, and then gate/tonalize it with Partials.

One thing I was considering was to maybe allow you to drag and drop a file into it and have partials then use those samples as impulse data. That could also pair well with the envelope I just added.

I'll investigate a little bit more but I'm open to suggestions on how to best approach it.

Quote:
Oh also, maybe there's something that could be done in order NOT to show the dependency files in the FX browser? IIRC some factory JSFX put stuff in Data folder for this.
Good point. I do think I usually put dependencies in a subfolder already though. For text files I think I add some flag at the top, but I'm not sure how I'd hide binary files. I should look into this a bit deeper.

Quote:
Boy oh boy... I'm kind of getting tempted to pitch the inclusion of this awesome thing into Surge XT at some point - would you oppose to that (I know about your dislike of GPL3)?
Oh, I don't have anything in particular against GPL3, it's just not the license for me personally. I probably came across too strongly previously.

Anyways, all my plugins are MIT licensed, so you can just pull out what you need if you want to. Honestly, I'd find it cool if they considered it. The code isn't the most optimal for reading through, some of it was generated from other tools (I squashed some things down in the TD mode to keep performance acceptable) and some was written a little haphazardly.

Quote:
+1 for this! And also for Partials as a Surge XT oscillator! <3
It kind of sounds like it'd be more like a filter though. I actually quite often pair it with a bright synth or drum kit as source input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
Regarding Nuker: I have never tried installing it since it clearly says (EARLY ALPHA - DO NOT USE) but is it a working plug-in? Your plug-ins were the first ones I downloaded/installed through ReaPack and I've always been interested in that one
Ghehe, I think it's usable yes. I do still want to revisit it one day and actually slap some sort of UI on it and make a few good presets, but it shouldn't stop you from using it.

I usually leave that label on for a while a bit defensively, in case I still want to make some breaking changes or when I haven't used the plugin in many projects myself yet.

Changelog
I just pushed a small update to Partials that allows you to optionally gate incoming and outgoing audio for each MIDI note played. This should give a little more control over the output of the plugin.

Last edited by sai'ke; 07-05-2022 at 08:05 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #1034
EvilDragon

Quote:
Good point. I do think I usually put dependencies in a subfolder already though. For text files I think I add some flag at the top, but I'm not sure how I'd hide binary files. I should look into this a bit deeper.
Yeah stuff already is in subfolder, but it's all just a flat list in FX browser in Reaper, so those extra files show up. But if you put them to the Data folder, they don't show up in FX browser (this is how some IR samples for the JSFX cabinet effect are, too, so putting binary files there is A-OK).

Quote:
Oh, I don't have anything in particular against GPL3, it's just not the license for me personally. I probably came across too strongly previously.

Anyways, all my plugins are MIT licensed, so you can just pull out what you need if you want to. Honestly, I'd find it cool if they considered it. The code isn't the most optimal for reading through, some of it was generated from other tools (I squashed some things down in the TD mode to keep performance acceptable) and some was written a little haphazardly.
Great! The way we work at Surge Synth Team (I'm but a part of it) is we always ask the author, even if the license is super permissive like MIT. It's just good karma. I think we'd also love to have some of the filters from Filther in, actually.

(And also, if you ever feel like shooting hoops with the rest of us there at SST and throw some C++ DSP and whatnot around, you're always welcome to our Discord abode! It's a cool place to hang out, Jatin Chowdhury is a regular, and so on and so forth.

I bet Partials could do well with some SSE treatment!)

Gonna update to latest version, thanks for adding an envelope there!

(BTW, maybe MIDI mode could be a global setting not stored in presets? Or a way to override the preset setting, say Ctrl+clicking it would lock it to enabled regardless of patch loaded?)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-05-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #1035
Naquela

[QUOTE=sai'ke;2575229]I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding this request correctly, but do you mean modulate the values for the envelope according to incoming midi velocity? If so, that can already be done. Click vel to highlight which settings can be modulated by MIDI velocity (see GIF below).

It's a good idea. I'll think about adding this one. For the time being, you can set the scale axis to notes to see an axis of notes rather than frequencies. Or click on the peak to see a little hint label that tells you what pitch you are clicking (it doesn't currently find the peak maximum, but just tells you exactly where you clicked).

Sorry my ingles,

i use an example :
the KBBB ,on dance music ,
i have 3 midi notes length 1/16
my idea is put the JS MIDI Fixed Note Length v0.3 , inside the synth, the work flow to test the sound in diferents lengths like you change any synth parameter.

the envelope thing :

2 osc , one for the click , and the other for body ,

you need one more envelope
controled by note length ( off, ON , vol osc1 , vol osc2, noise......)
so the click is a small note (the manual length) and the osc1 gives the body,

Another good thing is , lots of people use 1/32 with relase/decay to make the bass line , Example 1/32 original note , the manual note 80ms (A20ms S+- D60

Sounds crazy ,
and thanks for the attention
Old 07-07-2022, 05:04 AM   #1036
Andreya

Quote:
It kind of sounds like it'd be more like a filter though. I actually quite often pair it with a bright synth or drum kit as source input.
I see why you say that. Though, as it stands now there are too many parameters to fit into a filter in Surge XT. But it'd be fine for an oscillator type, right ED?

And Surge can accept audio input, or pass audio from one of its "scenes" to the other.
A partials-style oscillator could make use of those same functions I'm guessing? Maybe it could have an "exciter source" dropdown, with options like aux audio, scene B audio, DC or dirac spike, maybe a few noise flavors with a release time control.

I'd certainly get excited about that! (EDIT: no actual pun intended lol, I didn't even realize...)

PS. FWIW, I for one really like the sounds it outputs from simple DC spikes.

Last edited by Andreya; 07-07-2022 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Inadvertent dad joke...
Old 07-07-2022, 05:19 AM   #1037
Andreya

Quote:
Seeing that ADSR also reminded me of something else. I was revisiting FM filter 1/2 (such great plugs btw!) lately, and am noticing a sometimes unhelpful behavior in it now:

In the MIDI FM modes, there's a distinct change of timbre whenever the incoming MIDI note ends. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I'm hearing it on every note-off.

It's fine as long as the source synth has an instant or near-instant release time, but for any longer release times I'm afraid I don't find it useable. It would be preferable if the timbre could stay consistent until the next note-on.

EDIT: And another humble request: it'd be cool if it could respond to pitch bend messages! Ideally with selectable range.

Think there's anything could be done about that?

As always, thanks for all these cool things you make!

Last edited by Andreya; 07-07-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #1038
sai'ke

Quote:
Sorry my ingles,

i use an example :
the KBBB ,on dance music ,
i have 3 midi notes length 1/16
my idea is put the JS MIDI Fixed Note Length v0.3 , inside the synth, the work flow to test the sound in diferents lengths like you change any synth parameter.

the envelope thing :

2 osc , one for the click , and the other for body ,

you need one more envelope
controled by note length ( off, ON , vol osc1 , vol osc2, noise......)
so the click is a small note (the manual length) and the osc1 gives the body,

Another good thing is , lots of people use 1/32 with relase/decay to make the bass line , Example 1/32 original note , the manual note 80ms (A20ms S+- D60

Sounds crazy ,
and thanks for the attention
I'm not sure I understand the request very well. I get that you want another envelope that can be assigned to different controls? But I'm not sure how fixed note length comes in the picture.

For now, you could probably make a small extra envelope with the Free LFO. There are some exponential decay curves in there.

Quote:
In the MIDI FM modes, there's a distinct change of timbre whenever the incoming MIDI note ends. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I'm hearing it on every note-off.
Hmm, is the FM mode set to "self" by any chance? In that mode, the input is modulated by itself. So if you shut down the input sound, the timbre will indeed change.

I think FM Filter 1 had a setting named 3/4 for the FM section. Here you could have a second sound come in through channel 3/4 as modulation source. Using this mode, you could duplicate the synth. Play it through 1/2 with note off and through 3/4 without note off. In that case, the timbre should stay fixed. I could add a similar mode to FM Filter 2 if it would be desirable.

If that's not it, then can you send me a project that shows this behavior? Preferably using only stock plugins.

Quote:
EDIT: And another humble request: it'd be cool if it could respond to pitch bend messages! Ideally with selectable range.
Yeah, that's pretty doable. I'll put it on the backlog for FM Filter 2.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #1039
Andreya

Quote:
Hmm, is the FM mode set to "self" by any chance?
No, it happens in the MIDI modes only.
I should clarify, this happens only with FM Filter 2, not the OG one. So if there's any difference between how those respond to note-offs, that'll be the culprit.

Attaching a .rpp that shows it, though you'd need Surge XT for it. Stock would be better to demo with, I know, but there isn't a stock monosynth suitable for demonstrating this musical situation.

Good to hear about the pitch bend possibilities.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp FMFilter2bug?.RPP (51.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #1040
EvilDragon

Quote:
I see why you say that. Though, as it stands now there are too many parameters to fit into a filter in Surge XT. But it'd be fine for an oscillator type, right ED?
As it stands currently, Particles cannot fit even in an oscillator (limited to 7 parameters, filters to 2). In Surge XT 2.0 we will be increasing some of these limitations (oscillators likely going to 14 params), so implementing Particles as an oscillator would then be tractable.