Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Yep, that's what did it for me too. I had skipped 8 and 8.1 as they were hideous, and I foolishly thought Monopolysoft would make up for it in 10. The fact they were giving it away seemed like an admission of the the error of their ways. How wrong I was. Fortunately, I was already exploring Linux at that point, so the transition was easy.
A well tweaked Manjaro performs every bit as good as a Windows machine for me, and I don't have an authoritarian OS that I have to constantly hack and fight with.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #42
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
A well tweaked Manjaro performs every bit as good as a Windows machine for me, and I don't have an authoritarian OS that I have to constantly hack and fight with.
Here goes (what a refreshingly light ISO!):

And agreed on the well-tuned/tweaked Manjaro.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #43
SmajjL

Using archinstall, SmajjL need to have my router connected for some reason during the install to get internet working
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #44
SmajjL

Quote:
I got a feeling that you could tweak and debloat Windows 7 better/safer without much breaking of concequences if compare to Windows 11?

Going Arch from scratch with your fav DE is an option and i still feel that the Arch-rumor is still a tatoo'ed hard to get off and maby a tad over exaggered (or how you spell that) , ie, it is not so hard, not anymore though..

Just update once a week and read the main site once in a while should take you far.
And nothing is stopping from evsedropping on Manjaro or EndeavourOS forum, ArcoLinux helps alot also

Bonus material: I like what they did with MSFS2020, but you will get a disclaimer of agreement thing in the eye that you may only run the game on Windows, and i bought it on Steam... so, there you go

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-19-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I got a feeling that you could tweak and debloat Windows 7 better/safer without much breaking of concequences if compare to Windows 11?
I used to know Windows inside and out, and when I retired Windows 7 on my DAW machine, it was very slimmed down and very efficient.

Quote:
Going Arch from scratch with your fav DE is an option and i still feel that the Arch-rumor is still a tatoo'ed hard to get off and maby a tad over exaggered (or how you spell that) , ie, it is not so hard, not anymore though..

Just update once a week and read the main site once in a while should take you far.
And nothing is stopping from evsedropping on Manjaro or EndeavourOS forum, ArcoLinux helps alot also

Bonus material: I like what they did with MSFS2020, but you will get a disclaimer of agreement thing in the eye that you may only run the game on Windows, and i bought it on Steam... so, there you go
I install an OS on my DAW machine and almost never change it because I want it to be ready at the drop of a hat to record when ideas are flowing.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #46
SmajjL

Quote:
I install an OS on my DAW machine and almost never change it because I want it to be ready at the drop of a hat to record when ideas are flowing.

I hear MXLinux have a tool to make an ISO with your system intact ready to go if you drop a hat or throw it, so it could be run off USB stick even, on your mates computer even, stuff like that, but that might be off-topic and i don't know what im talking about, never used it, but cool what you can do
Old 05-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #47
Glennbo

Quote:
I hear MXLinux have a tool to make an ISO with your system intact ready to go if you drop a hat or throw it, so it could be run off USB stick even, on your mates computer even, stuff like that, but that might be off-topic and i don't know what im talking about, never used it, but cool what you can do
For Manjaro, I have two NVMe M.2 drives. The one with the OS, WINE, all my Windows plugins, Linux plugins, and Linux apps is duplicated to an SSD that I keep in the rack drawer of my mix desk. I could connect it with a SATA cable and boot from it if my first NVMe were to become corrupt. It would need to get current with Manjaro, but since I don't change other stuff, it would be instantly usable.

More likely though, if my boot NVMe were to become corrupt, I'd format it, and clone my clone SSD copy back onto it.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #48
SmajjL

Quote:
For Manjaro, I have two NVMe M.2 drives. The one with the OS, WINE, all my Windows plugins, Linux plugins, and Linux apps is duplicated to an SSD that I keep in the rack drawer of my mix desk. I could connect it with a SATA cable and boot from it if my first NVMe were to become corrupt. It would need to get current with Manjaro, but since I don't change other stuff, it would be instantly usable.

More likely though, if my boot NVMe were to become corrupt, I'd format it, and clone my clone SSD copy back onto it.

I have one gen3 1TB M.2 and one gen4 2TB and you are still using the scary Clonezilla? guess it might be easy as with everything as soon as one learn it.

If the 2TB is only half-full or empty, i can use Clonezilla to the 1TB no problemo?
I shall see if a youtuber have done a video, or find some reading then.
But i was scared last time

Ps, that was easy to find, i'll might give it a go and my fear can watch me while i try,
Just need to make sure all my stuff is on the old-school Spinning drive
Ahh, it can do device to image also, fantastico!

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-19-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #49
Glennbo

Quote:
I have one gen3 1TB M.2 and one gen4 2TB and you are still using the scary Clonezilla? guess it might be easy as with everything as soon as one learn it.
Sounds like you got a B550 mobo. Mine are also gen4 for the OS and gen3 for storage. As for Clonezilla, it's not reely that skeery.

Quote:
If the 2TB is only half-full or empty, i can use Clonezilla to the 1TB no problemo?
I shall see if a youtuber have done a video, or find some reading then.
But i was scared last time

Ps, that was easy to find, i'll might give it a go and my fear can watch me while i try,
Just need to make sure all my stuff is on the old-school Spinning drive
Ahh, it can do device to image also, fantastico!
I've only used it for cloning drive to drive with either identical sized drives, or larger receiving drives. When I did a larger receiving drive, it made a smaller identical partition that I later expanded using gparted.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #50
SmajjL

Quote:
Sounds like you got a B550 mobo. Mine are also gen4 for the OS and gen3 for storage. As for Clonezilla, it's not reely that skeery.

I've only used it for cloning drive to drive with either identical sized drives, or larger receiving drives. When I did a larger receiving drive, it made a smaller identical partition that I later expanded using gparted.

Gigabyte x570 / 5800X.
No i know, just need to do it one time and, a backup is useless if the restore fails I'll let you know how it goes and did not think of that you can expand and shrink, but i understand better now. grazias senor Glennbo
Old 05-19-2022, 05:27 PM   #51
Glennbo

Quote:
Gigabyte x570 / 5800X.
No i know, just need to do it one time and, a backup is useless if the restore fails I'll let you know how it goes and did not think of that you can expand and shrink, but i understand better now. grazias senor Glennbo
Ah, I guessed B550 coz they usually can only do one PCIe gen4 NVMe. My board (Asus B550 Prime CSV) is like that. One gen4 and one gen3 NVMe slots.

For the record. I cloned a 150GB spinner to a 250GB SSD, and it ended up as a 150GB partition on the SSD, but booted up first try, and then I used gparted to gain access to the un-partitioned space.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:08 AM   #52
SmajjL

Quote:
Ah, I guessed B550 coz they usually can only do one PCIe gen4 NVMe. My board (Asus B550 Prime CSV) is like that. One gen4 and one gen3 NVMe slots.

For the record. I cloned a 150GB spinner to a 250GB SSD, and it ended up as a 150GB partition on the SSD, but booted up first try, and then I used gparted to gain access to the un-partitioned space.
It is this one https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...LITE-rev-10#kf
I'd like to get an adapter thingie for the M2 gen3 and get an identical gen4, looking now, your fault!

They say the in the case of M2, raid does not automagically mean twize the speed exactly or something like that, but again, i never did it myself, yet

Spinners sure can be reliable since i also have some 120GB'es just laying around feeling neglected, still works

Edit: there is something mentally issue i think about not using something supported by the distro directly and i read someone even use VLC as a loopehole, so would not a backuptool be the perfect one to target? paranoid stuff like that..

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-20-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:05 AM   #53
Glennbo

Quote:
It is this one https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...LITE-rev-10#kf
I'd like to get an adapter thingie for the M2 gen3 and get an identical gen4, looking now, your fault!
Hehe, gotta have the fastest! TBH, I don't see much real world speed difference, although it does show up in speed tests.

Quote:
They say the in the case of M2, raid does not automagically mean twize the speed exactly or something like that, but again, i never did it myself, yet
I've never really been a fan of RAID arrays, other than one U-Toob video a guy did with 30 some SSDs, holding them all by their cables and jumping on a trampoline.

Quote:
Spinners sure can be reliable since i also have some 120GB'es just laying around feeling neglected, still works
I have an ancient 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax 9 from 2003 that was my DAW's drive with WinXP, then it was used in another machine running Win7, and today that drive is still running in a security DVR that records four HD streams of video 24/7.

Quote:
Edit: there is something mentally issue i think about not using something supported by the distro directly and i read someone even use VLC as a loopehole, so would not a backuptool be the perfect one to target? paranoid stuff like that..
I've pondered the same questions, and have cloned drives using the dd command, but going from HDDs to SDDs on two machines I've used Clonezilla. I used to use Acronis a long time ago in Windows and Clonezilla is functionally much like it.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #54
SmajjL

Quote:
Hehe

I knew gen4 was around the corner and also i would love to not upgrade again for as long as possible
But you are right about irl scenario gen3 vs gen4, starting games etc, not enough diff to blow your hat off
But i have noticed on Windows 11, i copy over a huge folder with random stuff, samples, games, ie, small and large files, the speedmeter goes up n down and waaAaAay slower than on Linux with the same files.

Glennbo is not a fan and someone else is jumping on a trampoline with 30-some.. i think i get the message haha

Yeah i remember, if you have a wierd neighbourhood and no ghostbusters to call, better be on the safe side with at-least some evidence

Good, then there is some scence in my paranoia, thanks for the support/Backup

That's correct, i failed at multiquote so bad
Old 05-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #55
Glennbo

Quote:
I knew gen4 was around the corner and also i would love to not upgrade again for as long as possible
But you are right about irl scenario gen3 vs gen4, starting games etc, not enough diff to blow your hat off
But i have noticed on Windows 11, i copy over a huge folder with random stuff, samples, games, ie, small and large files, the speedmeter goes up n down and waaAaAay slower than on Linux with the same files.
Linux isn't sharing info about what you are copying with advertising partners!

Quote:
Glennbo is not a fan and someone else is jumping on a trampoline with 30-some.. i think i get the message haha
Turns out it was a RAID array with 24 SSDs. Skip to 3:40 for the impressive trampoline jumping endurance test.

Quote:
Yeah i remember, if you have a wierd neighbourhood and no ghostbusters to call, better be on the safe side with at-least some evidence

Good, then there is some scence in my paranoia, thanks for the support/Backup

That's correct, i failed at multiquote so bad
It's likely better to be too careful than to be too trusting.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #56
SmajjL

Quote:
Linux

If they turn their profit into clean air and peace, exploring space and (good) tech faster, then be all means, you can have my privacy!

Don't feel bad, i just accused my neighbours dog to resemble the one in Tales of the gold monkey, turns out, i was a TAD off.. a little..

Was it the Movie Tremors, that had neighbours you should not mess with? hmm, how could i think of that now all of a sudden, ohh well

Ps, The Kid, yeah, been thinking of an off-topic all goes Linux edition thread or something
It is rare to see an answer like, *RTFM!* / *Slam!-the door* here on this forum, just ask if you get stuck or something

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-20-2022 at 01:36 PM.