Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
larryJ
Human being with feelings

Default Fx to Stop flow of Audio When Track is Muted?

I am trying to use WTAutomixer in REAPER for live sound from an x32 and keep the x32 and REAPER mute's aligned via x32REAPER. REAPER has an option to not process FXs when a track is muted, but that only works if the track is not armed...and it has to be for live mixing. If audio passes to WTAutomixer it is considered as sound to evaluate in the auto mix process. Since this is for theater, the muted/unmuted mics vary quite frequently, and I cannot manually mute/unmute in WTAutomixer fast enough to make this work. Is there an FX or Extension that checks track status in REAPER and if the track is Muted it could just stop all audio from flowing so that I could drop that FX in to my chain ahead of WTAutomix and have the problem solved? Is such possible to write as a JFX or something (I could try to make one if someone says it is possible :-)). Thank you for consideration, and any options would be appreciated.
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
larryJ
Human being with feelings

Default SOLUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryJ View Post
I am trying to use WTAutomixer in REAPER for live sound from an x32 and keep the x32 and REAPER mute's aligned via x32REAPER. REAPER has an option to not process FXs when a track is muted, but that only works if the track is not armed...and it has to be for live mixing. If audio passes to WTAutomixer it is considered as sound to evaluate in the auto mix process. Since this is for theater, the muted/unmuted mics vary quite frequently, and I cannot manually mute/unmute in WTAutomixer fast enough to make this work. Is there an FX or Extension that checks track status in REAPER and if the track is Muted it could just stop all audio from flowing so that I could drop that FX in to my chain ahead of WTAutomix and have the problem solved? Is such possible to write as a JFX or something (I could try to make one if someone says it is possible :-)). Thank you for consideration, and any options would be appreciated.
For reference here is a solution:
• X/M32 Mixer is used to source the audio.
• XLive is used to send audio by USB to a PC and back to the x32.
• Mixing is done on the x/m32.
• Recording can be done on the XLive card and/or the REAPER PC.
• X32REAPER by Patrick-Gilles Maillot is used to cause mute status on the X32 to be sent to the REAPER instance (ini file set to only pass Mute information). Only 32 channels are set in the OSC and ini files.
• The first 32 track in REAPER hold the FX chains.
• X32REAPER is configured to use these first 32 tracks for mute synch.
• In REAPER tracks 33-64 are Armed to receive the audio from the x32.
• Tracks 33-64 SEND to Tracks 1-32 in REAPER routing.
• Tracks 1-32 SEND Hardware output to x/m32 1-32.
• REAPER must set to disable plugins in muted tracks if set up like shown here. This will eliminate CPU load from the FXs in the muted tracks since we mute tracks 1-32 which are NOT armed but hold all of the FXs. ***If you do not want to disable plugins on muted channels and do not set such in REAPER setting, it still works, just uses a more constant amount of CPU AND you instead need to set x32REAPER to mute channels 33-64 instead of 1-32.***
• To turn automix from WTAutomixer on and off use the “Disable automixing” selection in WTAutomixer, do not use the “on/off” choice at it will potentially cause clicking on transition.

On an HP OMEN laptop with an i7-12700H CPU and using SSL plugins I used about 10% of CPU with about 5 fx’s per channel and a 32 samples buffer size with 2.1 ms in and 2.5 ms out in the ASIO. Note that I do route back my L/R/C into REAPER for main output adjustment on a 2nd pass but do not time align these with the other tracks.

Other than the 128 PDC from WTAutomix, all the SSL plugins I am using have 0 PDC so this works great.

I can leverage the X32 Automix for channels 1-8 if desired and have WTAutomix handle channels 9-24 if I really need a lot of automix for dialogues.

I leave an instance of WTAutomixer open on my desktop to enable quick disabling/enabling (having that check box bigger would help with a touchscreen setup).

I use James Holt’s x32 Theatre Control (X32TC) to handle mutes and DCA assignments on the X32 and it all works together very well. For theatrical situations I can have a lot of flexibility
larryJ is offline   Reply With Quote