Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
Thomaswhudson
Human being with feelings

Default question for you mac guys

I am considering switching over to mac. Any Pros and Cons? The main reason i am considering is the Focusrite Clarett. I currently have a Focusrite 18i8 scralett and love it but i am trying to see if there are reasons i should switch.
Thomaswhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Judders

I think the main pro is that you don't have to worry about optimisation, driver conflicts etc.. You just get to work on music without having to deal with any of that.

One con would be that your options for freebie plugins is more limited, as quite a few freebies are Windows only.

Other than that, I don't think there's much difference. I use both Mac and PC, and I generally prefer the Mac experience - it feels a bit more "premium" and smooth. There is much less difference between the two platforms than there once was though.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Michiel Papenhove

The main thing I've noticed from switching to Mac OSX is that crashes now only occur about once every few months instead of a couple of times a day. Other than that, what Judders says: you might miss out on some plugins that we're created for Windows platforms. Has never been a problem for me, so I'm definitely sticking with OSX.
Michiel Papenhove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Judders

Another bonus regarding hardware: I'm on my second iMac now, and the fact that it is noiseless makes it ideal for recording audio in the same room.

Like Michiel, I've never felt like I'm missing out on Windows freebie plugins, but many swear by them so I thought it was worth mentioning.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Don Schenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Another bonus regarding hardware: I'm on my second iMac now, and the fact that it is noiseless makes it ideal for recording audio in the same room.

Like Michiel, I've never felt like I'm missing out on Windows freebie plugins, but many swear by them so I thought it was worth mentioning.
Yes, perfect for DIY voice-overs.

Thomas, I switched to a Mac for audio 2 years ago. After about 25 years of using Windows, the Mac seemed a little bit foreign, but with the help of people here - especially serr - it soon became second nature.

I still use Windows (7 and 10) for other things, but the more I use the Mac, the more I wonder why I continue to bother with Windows. And Mac is way cool for audio, especially with Thunderbolt.

There are some things for which I like Windows better than OSX, and somethings for which I like OSX better. These are just minor aggravations with each. I'm still waiting for MacIndows or WinIntosh, but I won't hold my breath.

Oh how I hate iTunes. AAAArrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh. And just think, I get to hate iTunes on both - Windows and Mac.

:-Don
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote