Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
bluzkeez
Human being with feelings

Default Installation Problems NOOB

Hello, yesterday I decided to install newest Version of Reaper 64 bit on my
Windows 10 64 bit laptop (Intel i7 3720 QM 2.60 GHZ)the initial download was good but I noticed that the Vsti path had multiple locations of vsti plugins some of which i did not want to be scanned. I have set up separate folders for 32 bit and 64 bit plugins. All of my plugins (instrument) have both 32 and 64 bit options as well as standalone features. I do have PG Music Band in a Box which is 32 bit so I need to hang on to the 32 bit dll for use with this program. I was just trying to have 64 bit version of Reaper only search for 64 bit plugins. In my haste as a new user I tried to clear the paths shown which caused quite a bit of havoc. Reaper crashed and when i tried to restart from icon Reaper searched for ALL DLL files on my computer and came up with numerous error pop up boxes to the point where I had to shut down computer as task manager would not let me end the program or the error boxes. I did manage to uninstall the program at next boot up. Downloaded again and had the same errors constantly popping and program hung searching for vsts. Uninstalled again, and attempted to download and install. This time Windows 10 booted up with start screen asking for a password to log in to windows which was never set up to begin with on this laptop.. Finally had to rollback using system restore. All is back to operational now.. Also today I found the ini. file for Reaper and deleted it as well.. Obviously I botched this install by my impatience. Probably should have let the paths stay at default settings until I learned how to change them properly. The only other Reaper files I can find on my computer are AppCrash reports and I'm not sure if i should delete these as well. I would like to try to download and install Reaper again but a bit gun-shy. Any help on this would be appreciated.
bluzkeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
ivansc

Ha Ha! Now you are JUST the sort of eager beaver RTFMF was invented for!
Welcome to the forums!

FWIW I think most of us have done something equally dumb at one time or another... If you ever get a chance to see Disney's Fantasia, the feeling you get always reminds me of Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene!

Fortunately Reaper doesnt alter or add anything to the registry, so you can pretty much just uninstall the reaper folder and you are back at ground zero.

Read the section of the user guide that deals with VST locations and ideally watch some of the excellent tutorial videos on the front page here (I think there is an actual "Videos header there now - used to be just "off planet mining".

Either way, it wont take you long to get it all sorted out and us "experts" (another name for people who already made the same mistakes earlier) will still be around to help if needed.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
bluzkeez

Thanks for the welcome. I believe most if not all of my problems started when I tried to alter the vst scan path. On my next attempt at installation what is the best way to view the entire vst scan path. As stated earlier I do have my dll. 32 bit and 64 bit vsti's in separate folders. C Program Files VST plugins and (86) for 32 bit. So I believe all is where it should be. All vsts have stand-alone versions and are located in their respective default installation folders as well. I was assuming that I would only need to scan the two folders that contain the 32 and 64 bit dlls that I created.. Should the path also include default folders as well (eg.Steinburg, Modartt, Applied Acoustic Systems)? So I guess my question is should I let Reaper find all folders and add if needed, OR is it possible to specify only folders that I have placed dlls into. I realize that this is probably basic to most here and am only trying to gain as much info on this so that my next go at it installs smoothly and properly.
bluzkeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
bluzkat

You can just add your VST folders manually.

Reaper will add a path for VST3 plugins automatically (on installation).

Enjoy.