Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
tomvvyd
Human being with feelings

Default Recording with Zoom H1 and Reaper separately

Hi!
I have a problem with desyncing tracks which were recorded separately.
I recorded stereo track with Zoom H1 (44.1 kHz/24-bit) and two mono tracks with Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (also 44.1 kHz/24-bit).

I didn't use ASIO4ALL driver (as Zoom H1 supports audio interface function) because of latency problems.

When I sync those 3 tracks in Reaper (or any other DAW, I tried several) they stay synced for a few minutes, then they start desyncing making everything sound not pleasant (for example snare hit and then miliseconds later same snare hit).

I thought that the same sampling frequency and bit depth would assure no problems.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!
tomvvyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvvyd View Post
Hi!
I have a problem with desyncing tracks which were recorded separately.
I recorded stereo track with Zoom H1 (44.1 kHz/24-bit) and two mono tracks with Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (also 44.1 kHz/24-bit).

I didn't use ASIO4ALL driver (as Zoom H1 supports audio interface function) because of latency problems.

When I sync those 3 tracks in Reaper (or any other DAW, I tried several) they stay synced for a few minutes, then they start desyncing making everything sound not pleasant (for example snare hit and then miliseconds later same snare hit).

I thought that the same sampling frequency and bit depth would assure no problems.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!
You are experiencing clock drift. You used two different interfaces, each keeping their own version of time. Neither interface has the ability to synch to an external clock, so you won't be able to tie them together into one logical unit for more than a few seconds before they start to drift apart.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
vdubreeze

Unfortunately this is typical. When you record with multiple digital devices one must be able to send out a clock source. It can be from a variety of places, which makes it all the more confusing, but it can be Word Clock, through spdif or AES, or ADAT light pipe, depending on what the unit provides. Then the other units have to have the function of being able to change their clock from internal to receiving that clock in order to be locked. Otherwise drift is inevitable, even with two of the same model recorder.

The bummer with inexpensive two channel interfaces and devices is that they won't have this function, and bumping up to the one that does generally gives you two or more line inputs so you don't need to use the clocking anyway : ( Actually, FocusRite does have the Clarett2Pre, which is 2 preamps and ADAT in, but at $500 it makes having four tracks a $700 proposition and there are better ways to do that.

Yeah, sadly they either need to have their digital clocking locked or else take the analog out of the Zoom into line ins of the Focusrite, if it had two more inputs.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 AM   #4
tomvvyd

Thank you guys for your replies. I heard about this problem, but didn't think about it in this case, so thank you for your help!

Because of that I tried harder to set up ASIO4ALL driver and I recorded last rehearsal with acceptable latency.

Thank you again and Happy New Year

Cheers!
tomvvyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
The bummer with inexpensive two channel interfaces and devices is that they won't have this function, and bumping up to the one that does generally gives you two or more line inputs so you don't need to use the clocking anyway : ( Actually, FocusRite does have the Clarett2Pre, which is 2 preamps and ADAT in, but at $500 it makes having four tracks a $700 proposition and there are better ways to do that.
Yep. The good news is you can actually get more preamps for less money and generally get external clocking as a result. I have two sub $300 interfaces (Tascam US-800 and Focusrite Scarlett 8i18) tied together right now via SPDIF. It works well.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote