Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
Fireh9lly
Human being with feelings

Default Can no longer drag/drop sounds into project in Windows 10

I normally import samples and files by dragging and dropping from a file manager, but after upgrading to Windows 10 this isn't possible, and the cursor turns into a crossed-out circle. I've tried doing this from Explorer and from Crypton MUTANT and it's the same. INSERT still works fine, but I miss the immediacy of dragging and dropping. Is this a fixable issue?

EDIT: Doesn't change if I run REAPER as Administrator. It does work from the Media Explorer - I suppose I'll have to get used to using it.

Last edited by Fireh9lly; 08-07-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Fireh9lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Drag and drop *.wav from explorer works fine here using Reaper v4.78 (as well as v5 rc) 64bit and Win10. Can you provide more specifics about Reaper version and the type of file you are trying to d&d?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
SlipkyesBass

This same thing has been happening to me for over a year now, and I haven't changed my OS at all, it was after a Reaper upgrade (can't remember which one), now I always have to go through the internal media explorer, which kinda sucks when I have the folder already open in the windows explorer and it's quicker to navigate through there.

Edit: I'm on Windows 7 btw, haven't updated at all.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
Steve White

Default Drag & drop no longer works after Win 10 upgrade

Same here. I upgraded to Win10 and now can't drag / drop files into REAPER. I had no problems dragging files into REAPER on Windows 7.

I also now get a message from UAC every time I start REAPER or load a new project. I have told Windows to run REAPER as the Administrator but that makes no difference.

I'm on Win10 and REAPER 5.201/x64.

SteveW
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
slipstick

Works fine here with .wav files to Win10 x64, Reaper 5.22 x64.

What's the UAC message you get ? What type of files are you trying to drag/drop ? It sounds like a permissions problem and they can get confusing in Win10. Rather than trying "Run as Admin" it's often better to set your user up with full admin privileges.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #6
lowellben

I had the same problem. It's a permission thing, for sure. Sorry! Reaper does not have to be run as admin, fyi in Windows 10.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Same here. I upgraded to Win10 and now can't drag / drop files into REAPER. I had no problems dragging files into REAPER on Windows 7.

I also now get a message from UAC every time I start REAPER or load a new project. I have told Windows to run REAPER as the Administrator but that makes no difference.

I'm on Win10 and REAPER 5.201/x64.

SteveW
Where is it installed? If UAC is popping up, something is occurring to make the OS invoke it running as admin and running as admin is what causes the drag and drop issue because it's a sandbox type protection. Are you sure if you right click reaper.exe > properties > compatibility - Run as Administrator isn't checked and compatibility mode isn't checked either?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
PitchSlap

I only had this issue when I was running as admin (network mapped drives also didn't work). Not running as admin fixed the issues.

Maybe try Win 7 compatibility mode?

Could also try using Clover (explorer replacement built on the Chrome engine). You'll soon wonder how you ever lived without tabs and bookmarks.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Maybe try Win 7 compatibility mode?
Typically not compat mode because it can want to run as admin as part of the mode. If he can't find it I can provide some steps to see just what security tokens reaper is running under that may not be immediately visible.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #10
Tycho

Everything was working fine and just started having this issue today on Win 10 x64 Pro Anniversary Edition
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Airal
Banned

See my thread about the same problem, I was able to fix my problem either coincidentally or through the means I mentioned... If you don't have visual studio I could send you the exe but I don't know if it will do you any good or not.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Tycho

I was running Reaper in administrator mode -- not sure why, I think I had read you were supposed to at some point. I disabled that and everything works fine now. I'm guessing this has something to do with an MS update which altered security or permissions in some way? everything is back to normal now though. thanks
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I was running Reaper in administrator mode -- not sure why, I think I had read you were supposed to at some point. I disabled that and everything works fine now. I'm guessing this has something to do with an MS update which altered security or permissions in some way? everything is back to normal now though. thanks
It often happens when someone installs a plugin into a protected directory (and that same plugin needs to save settings in that directory), sometimes this is the plugin developers fault and results in having to run Reaper as admin in order to use the plugin. I can emphatically state that Reaper should never need to run as admin, you may have to in order to get some plugin to work but again, needing to run as admin is always a workaround for a mistake, simple oversight or coding/permissions ignorance by the developer.

As a side note: The only time admin mode is required is in order to run the installer, not Reaper itself.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-17-2017 at 11:50 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #14
lxm

I'm having the same issue. Cant drag anything in. How do I change 'run as administrator'?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
I'm having the same issue. Cant drag anything in. How do I change 'run as administrator'?
Right-click Reaper.exe > properties > compatibility tab > uncheck run as administrator may do it - depends on just how it got set to do it automatically.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
PitchSlap

Running Reaper as admin caused nothing but problems for me (drag and drop, network drives etc.)

Don't do it unless there's a very specific reason, and go back to normal mode as soon as that reason is addressed.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #17
johnss

I just tried this (just to be sure) i have no problems with it. Dragged even to Falcon without problems
Win 10 64 bit, latest Reaper version (not beta) i have 'run as administrator´ on
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnss View Post
I just tried this (just to be sure) i have no problems with it. Dragged even to Falcon without problems
Win 10 64 bit, latest Reaper version (not beta) i have 'run as administrator´ on
If you can drag a file from your desktop into Reaper then either it isn't really running as admin or something at the OS level is disabled.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 AM   #19
barrymk

I'm running Reaper as Admin, can't remember now what issue it solved but the only problem it caused was loss of drag n drop. Another poster said hit Ctrl Alt X and import via Media Explorer. Works for me.