Old 02-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Stringer
Human being with feelings

Default First song in a long time

Ok, folks be kind. This is my first song with words in about 20 years. Lots of life happened and the muse went visiting other people. This is all done in Reaper. The piano is Manytone's free Kawai Grand, and the upright bass is from Manytone too, both played in Wusikstation with my GR-20 guitar synth. It's a rough mix, and there are some performance imperfections, including the fact that I can't sing anymore. The drums are Jamstix. Feedback appreciated. I will probably redo the guitar, tweak the piano, and maybe add some horns.

Reaper is inspiring.

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/jred...izetheDay1.mp3

Thanks,

John

Last edited by Stringer; 03-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Ike_Boffo

I enjoyed listening to the sound of the production. So many people load their mixes down with effects. Sometimes you can't even really listen to anything in them. I think the open sound of this one works well for the tune. In addition, it doesn't sound like you're trying to impress, only to serve the tune. That's where it's at. The lyrics were very powerful too. And there's nothing wrong with your voice. The verses especially have a laid back feeling in the vocal that I think is just right, so as not to obscure such a strong lyric.

A few times, the guitar line behind the chorus vocal started to sound like the timbre of another voice, but the harmony vocal never appeared. I was longing for it though. Lots of samples here. The piano sounds great, but the snare drum sounded like a sample and drew my attention quickly. I think a tune like this needs either a real snare or some alternate snare variations to make it more organic.

Impressive.
Ike_Boffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Sam C

Nice tune.

I would pull the bass back a bit.

Your voice isn't bad after a 20 year layoff!

Sometimes the guitar and piano seem to get in the way of eachother.

Lastly, I would use a littel fx to liven it up.

Cool tune though.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Stringer

Thanks so much for the constructive criticism, guys. I really appreciate it.

I tend to go light on effects. The vocal just has a little bit of Ariesverb on it and a little Reacomp.

The things you guys said about the bass, the guitar part getting into places it shouldn't, and the need for harmony vocals all make sense to me. I'll work on it.

Thanks again,

John
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
HienTau

I also don't mind your voice, makes me feel comfy (which is quite seldom). In contrast to Sam I also didn't mind the bass.
The refrain could be presented a bit more enthusiastic (maybe that's the part for the horns?) and the sound could be a bit more polished (though I've no idea how this could be done).

So altogether: In its final version it'll definitely stay on my hard drive. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Stringer

I've done some simple harmony vocals on the refrain, which created more contrast, and perhaps more enthusiasm. I have also tightened up some of the piano by moving some of the midi notes closer to where they belong. I put Reacomp on the bass and dragged the fader down a bit. All of this is to the good, but I am struggling with the guitar part. What I had was kind of ok at first part, but it degenerated into noodling by the end, and the timbre and pitch were competing with the piano and vocal. I tried playing the parts an octave higher, but that didn't work either. I tried an acoustic guitar, but that competed with the piano even more. Try as I might, I can't get the guitar sound right, and I am seeking a concept for the part. Perhaps tomorrow. I haven't put a new mp3 up yet. I am waiting for the guitar part to coalesce. I thought the guitar would be the easy part.

Thanks for the feedback. It has made the process more interesting and productive.

John
Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Stringer

Default Updated file

I have uploaded an updated file. For some reason I really struggled with the guitar part. I finally played into a direct box and split the signal so that it was going into an amp and into the mixer at the same time. I used the direct signal into simulanalog rednef twin. I am still not quite happy with it, but I have to go to Japan for 10 days, so this is as good as it gets for now. It does have harmony vocals on the chorus now, which creates more contrast, and I hope more interest.

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/jred...izetheDay1.mp3

Thanks again for all the feedback!

John
Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
richlum

This is a good song.
Nice chorus.
Really like some of the guitar fills and lead.
I would have never guessed the piano was played on a guitar synth.
I have a GR1 but can't play piano on it to save myself

Oh and your voice is great.
If you think your voice is bad, listen me trying to sing and you'll see your voice in a better light hehe
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Stringer

Rich,

Thanks for giving it a listen.

Two things about playing piano with a guitar synth: 1) play with your fingers, not a pick, and 2) mute the open strings with something like a hair scrunchy. Actually, this is pretty much true for most synth patches.

Thanks,

John
Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
HienTau

Hi Stringer,

The harmony vocals really add some depth to the refrain, though it still lacks that atmosphere of departure, I think.
Overall the track now makes me feel like being in a bar listening to a live band. And as I've listened to it about 5 times in a row I guess it's pretty good alltogether Keep it up!

HienTau

P.S.: Whatever I said about sound polishing was nonsense. My ears were a bit overused the day I listened to your song.

Last edited by HienTau; 03-11-2007 at 01:51 PM.
HienTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
richlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Two things about playing piano with a guitar synth: 1) play with your fingers, not a pick, and 2) mute the open strings with something like a hair scrunchy. Actually, this is pretty much true for most synth patches.
Hey cool tips!
I've heard about using a hair scrunchy thing to mute the strings when doing 2 handed tapping stuff, but never thought of using it for the guitar synth stuff too.

I hardly touch mine these days, but may have to set it up and start playing with it again.
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
FireMoon

If you like using piano samples a lot... and they are something that are going to be a staple of your sound..I can well recommend this set of samples... http://www.postpiano.com/products/pr...6sendorfer+290 they having a sale that ends in a couple of days and they were cheap to begin with... The link I've provided is generally considered to be one of the best around ..even has a group with pedal emulation etc... If i remember rightly, full price that particular set is only $50 and i think there's a half price offer till the 17th of March..

Songwise..I like it, has a warm charm..welcome back into the saddle, heres to many more years composing.. good luck..
FireMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HienTau View Post
Hi Stringer,

The harmony vocals really add some depth to the refrain, though it still lacks that atmosphere of departure, I think.
Overall the track now makes me feel like being in a bar listening to a live band. And as I've listened to it about 5 times in a row I guess it's pretty good alltogether Keep it up!

HienTau

P.S.: Whatever I said about sound polishing was nonsense. My ears were a bit overused the day I listened to your song.
"lacks that atmosphere of departure"

I know what you mean. It doesn't have that pop song feeling of summation, confirmation, distillation, exhileration, etc. that often comes with the chorus.

"the track now makes me feel like being in a bar listening to a live band"

Hmm, I think this means that it has spontaneity (good) but not polish (bad)

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to turn to something new at this point, but this conversation has been quite inspiring.

John
Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
If you like using piano samples a lot... and they are something that are going to be a staple of your sound..I can well recommend this set of samples... http://www.postpiano.com/products/pr...6sendorfer+290 they having a sale that ends in a couple of days and they were cheap to begin with... The link I've provided is generally considered to be one of the best around ..even has a group with pedal emulation etc... If i remember rightly, full price that particular set is only $50 and i think there's a half price offer till the 17th of March..

Songwise..I like it, has a warm charm..welcome back into the saddle, heres to many more years composing.. good luck..
I was away for a couple of weeks, so I think I missed the half price sale, but I will look into this.

I like playing piano with the guitar synth because suddenly all of the old guitar cliches become new again, and it makes you think of new things to play, so your guitar playing improves too.

And thanks for the kind words.

John
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
bong hits for jesus

Welcome back old timer! Sweet sounds....
bong hits for jesus is offline   Reply With Quote