Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Demented Head
Human being with feelings

Default Help me

Maybe I am completely ignorant, But how do I record guitars or vocals on Reaper? Do I need some special hardware? What do I plug into? I have read something about MOTU hardware or such and such. I dont know what to do. Can you help me?
Demented Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

That's rather a large question! Tell us what you have at present - what kind of computer, what kind of soundcard, what microphones and perhaps mixers, etc. Then we'll know what the starting point is. Also, download and read the user guide.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Demented Head

I am using a HP a1600n with windows xp. I just downloaded Reaper a little while ago and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get started.
I want to record acoustic guitars with vocals over some drum beats and bass lines. I am assuming that I need some type of audio interface that has inputs for a guitar, vocals or a line. Does this sound right or am I lost?
Demented Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
tspring

DH

If your computer has a sound card you can record. If you want to record a new part while listening to previously recorded material, you *might* be able to do so with your existing soundcard - depending on whether your sound card is "half-duplex" or "full duplex". If you have a "full duplex" card, then you can listen to output and record at the same time. Most of the sound cards that are installed by manufacturers in standard consumer type computers are "half-duplex". However, if your system came with one of the Creative sound cards, you might luck out.

If you are on a near-0$ budget, here is a super cheap way to get started and still be able to get a reasonable sound:

If your sound card is half duplex, you can buy a Soundblaster Live! card off e-bay for about $10. Use it with free KX-project drivers (download from internet). It's not pro quality, and SB-live! cards aren't the newest technology (thats why they are cheap) but sound quality is more than adequate for startup. If you don't have a mic, get a Nady SP-3 mic and cable from Musician's Friend. The price is ridiculously low (less than $20). I bought some of these to loan out, and was surprised at how good they sounded. I've done fairly careful A/B comparisons with my old standby SM-57 mic, and in my opinion, there is little difference in the quality of their sounds. The SP-3s are just a tad brighter. Be sure that the cable you get from Musicians Friend is XLR on the mic end and has a 1/4 jack on the other end. Also get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jack adapter (assuming that your sound card has 1/8 inch jacks like most do). You probably already have some way to play sound back, so for now, just go with what you've got. Even with the modest gear that I've described, your listening gear will probably be the weakest link in your system unless the playback gear is very good. Also, unless the acoustics of your recording area are fairly good, you will probably gain more from spending effort and money on improving the acoustics of the area than by spending hundreds more bucks on equipment.

By the way, it is hard to get a reasonable recording of drums with just one mic -- I'm assuming that you intend to use drum loops or a drum machine. If you need to record drums, the equipment needs will multiply greatly. At a minimum you would need a mixer and three mics - or a multichannel sound card and three mics. Also, if you aren't trying to absolutely minimize budget, the number of choices for equipment becomes vast.

T

Last edited by tspring; 05-26-2007 at 07:51 AM.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote