Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

The thing that matters most is the quality of the mix you make.

The only way moving to a different DAW is going to improve your mix is if there truly is a new tool set or something there that lets you finally do something you were trying but prevented from doing before.

Like if your old DAW started crashing constantly after the Protools HD v9 update and all Digidesign had to say about it was to ask for more money, upgrading to Reaper would make your mixes better IMHO.

Most semi pro modern gear has the nuts and bolts functionality to let you work at a high level. Stuff like extra clean mic preamps with more headroom, top of the line converters and HD sample rates make it easier than ever to work. You have an extremely wide range of zero degradation. If you actually have something worth hearing it might give you that extra 5%. Maybe even a little more. The biggest advantage is zero loss all the way to the consumer and still very high quality even when things get compromised.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #42
Pruch

Thanks again Serr !!
Pruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #43
Pruch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruch View Post
Cyrano: Can you record in iTunes? Now I'm baffled...

Serr: I've never recorded with iTunes. I honestly didn't know it could!

Oooopsss ! Sorry ! I was rather speaking of streaming sites like Spotify!
I was right !! (must have been tired when I wrote this replies. It has been a very long time since I recorded what seems to gets the two of you flabbergasted! : recording from Itunes, or from Deezer or from Spotify, etc..
It is simple: you need Soundflower, which lets you do whatever you want with whichever sound is going through your Mac (record, play, mix, etc...).
In the System Prefs:
- INPUT: Internal (Built-in input or Mic as well !!)
- OUTPUT: Soundflower

In Garage Band (yes !! :-)) Prefs:
- INPUT: Soundflower (no monitoring possible...)
- OUTPUT: built-in output

The level is very low but the recording is not all bad ...
Pruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #44
cyrano

Yes, recording FROM itunes, that's possible, just as you could record from another DAW, VLC or a browser.

I figured you were saying you were recording IN itunes. And that would really have surprised me

And, yes, SoundFLower or Jack can route that, as there is no standard way in OSX to do that.

But what would be the use to record from itunes, as you have the songs already? Unless you'd want to record a mix from itunes. But in that case, I'd use Mixxx to do the DJ-ing. And Mixxx can store it's "mix" in the background without any additional routing. That's a lot easier on the system.

And I know lots of people record from the browser, but I prefer to download. Simpler and a lot faster.

The real challenge however, is recording from Skype...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #45
Patrice Brousseau

Maybe a dumb question: why don't you use only the Quad-Capture for recording and playback?

I have the Octacapture on my MacBook Pro early 2011 and the Quad-capture on my I7 Hackintosh BTW. Great interfaces with a roundtrip latency around 6.5 - 7 ms at 64 buffer.

Quote:
Serr,
strictly speaking you are RIGHT, it nevertheless remains that I never encountered the troubles I am in. From the beginning of my using Reaper 2 or 3 years ago, when I wanted to record I did it, when I wanted to listen to the playback I did it... without tweaking anything.
I used Digital Performer for years,with no problems. I tried Garage Band: very easy, no problems !!
As I already specified I also have the inverse problem: if Reaper (by chance!) gets in playback config. (this happens at the opening, not knowing why...!) I cannot record something on the same file I am working on, regardless of what I do...

I shall comply with this elementary rule:
- MacBook 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory: 2 Go 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
- Sound Card: QUAD-CAPTURE (ROLAND)
- Reaper 4,591 / 64 (I tried the latest version on an iMac with Yosemite: the problem remains as such...)

I hope that this will be sufficient because I don't see what to add...
I apologize if my english is not perfect, I apologize too if I am not very clear in trying to describe my problems.

Thank you for your help anyway!
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #46
dldave

Default No audio output from Reaper 6.16 on Mac Pro

Quote:
Still no reply to the same issue: no sound coming out when playing back !! We are on May 1st... !!
I used Reaper for 2 or 3 years without any problem like this, and suddenly it happens. Your cases seem to occur around the same year. Could it have something to do with an upgrade of the MacOS ??
I have 10.6.8 on my MacBook.

I may ad that I also have the inverse problem: sometimes, after loading a file, I can HEAR the sound. However I did not do anything for this... More astonishing: in that case, with the same file, if I want to record something, that's impossible, no waveform, no VU-metres acting, no nothing !!!

No solution coming from the Cockos gurus ??
Well, here it is November of 2020 and I'm having the same problem for which I see no answer in this thread. My configuration is as follows:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) Mac OS version 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
Processor 2 x 3.06 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon
Memory 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Built-in Line Output:
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Output Channels: 2
Current SampleRate: 44100
Transport: Built-in
Storage: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G Media 2TB

When I first installed Reaper (6.15), I followed a tutorial by Kemp Strings to create a virtual choir. At first I used only the audio part, just to get started. Following the instructions, I created a track using Track->Insert new track, then used Insert->media file.... and selected an mp4 file for test. I was able to playback the file. All good. I created several more projects that day, again, just to get used to the tool.
Put my computer to sleep overnight.
Second day: Set my Mac to output on headphones. Preparing to lay down a new voice track on my phone, I start the Reaper playback, only to discover that the output was coming from both speaker (builtin line output) and headphones. I was able to proceed by turning off the speakers themselves. I was able to import the new track and playback both the old and new tracks.
Third day: Again, after sleeping the Mac overnight, I wanted to proceed with project creation, but found that now Reaper could be heard only on headphones, no mater what I selected as Mac output. Somewhat annoying, but usable. I managed to continue the tutorial and produce some acceptable Videos. Good.
Fourth and subsequent days: After again sleeping Mac overnight, there is no audio output from Reaper. This is more than just annoying. As powerful as it is, and even fun to learn to use, in this state it is useless.

Does anyone have a clue what has happened here? BTW, none of my other apps are affected.
dldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #47
serr

The built-in audio interfaces (built into the logic board) can be klunky...

Are you controlling sample rate and block size from the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page control panel? (Which should usually be 1st choice.)

The built-in interface gets used by every other app that uses audio on the daily. I'd try making it my SOP to open the preferences control panel and force a new request to the audio system as the first thing I did for any new Reaper session. ie. Select your interface again from the dropdown device menu (even if it is already selected) and then click 'apply' (which will un-gray when selecting the interface again). This forces a new sample rate and block size request.

If you have the Reaper control panel disabled (unticked the boxes next to sample rate and/or block size) and use a different control panel, do the same with that.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #48
dldave

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The built-in audio interfaces (built into the logic board) can be klunky...

Are you controlling sample rate and block size from the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page control panel? (Which should usually be 1st choice.)

The built-in interface gets used by every other app that uses audio on the daily. I'd try making it my SOP to open the preferences control panel and force a new request to the audio system as the first thing I did for any new Reaper session. ie. Select your interface again from the dropdown device menu (even if it is already selected) and then click 'apply' (which will un-gray when selecting the interface again). This forces a new sample rate and block size request.

If you have the Reaper control panel disabled (unticked the boxes next to sample rate and/or block size) and use a different control panel, do the same with that.
I have selected outputs (and reselected) several times. Nothing I do makes any difference to Reaper. If the built-in audio interfaces can be klunky, why is no other app affected? I am a real nubie at this and most of the audio jargon is not in my vocabulary. But I keep trying to learn.

Update: Today I installed Reaper on my Macbook Pro (as opposed to my Mac Pro), copied the Reaper projects to it, and that is (so far) working. But this is early times... I'll keep you posted if the Macbook also gives trouble. At least I have an alternative production machine to get advent music prepared.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #49
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldave View Post
I have selected outputs (and reselected) several times.
Can you expand on that with the details? (As though you're trying to teach it.)
Maybe post a pic of the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page?
(That's what I'm asking to confirm details from. Or if you use a different control panel and disable Reaper control panel, talk about that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldave View Post
If the built-in audio interfaces can be klunky, why is no other app affected?
The usual scenario is because said other audio using apps typically send a request to the audio system with their settings. Reaper has a complex interface connection system that does NOT just run on autopilot like Gaeageband or Logic. There are too many options and Reaper expects intentional manual control of the settings. (There are some exceptions and conveniences but you should approach Reaper this way.)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #50
dldave

Quote:
(That's what I'm asking to confirm details from. Or if you use a different control panel and disable Reaper control panel, talk about that.)

The usual scenario is because said other audio using apps typically send a request to the audio system with their settings. Reaper has a complex interface connection system that does NOT just run on autopilot like Gaeageband or Logic. There are too many options and Reaper expects intentional manual control of the settings. (There are some exceptions and conveniences but you should approach Reaper this way.)

Many thanks for your effort to help solve this. How does one post screenshots in this forum?
Meanwhile, since I have my Macbook Pro as an alternative work machine, I'll be concentrating my time doing work on it, and not necessarily trouble shooting the Mac Pro problem, although I would rather use it if I can. So please bear with me while I get this sorted.

Can I get access to earlier versions of Reaper that might more easily conform the the idiosyncrasies of my elderly Mac Pro (mid 2010) and Mac OS El Capitan? Is that even a way to proceed??

Last edited by dldave; 11-29-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 AM   #51
Henk S

Default No audio sound in combination with Kontakt

I am new to this forum, so welcome any advice you may have. I've been working with Reaper for 2 weeks now. Setup Novation Impulse 49, Behringer interface UMC404HD, Windows laptop and NI Komplete. When I create a track in reaper (and more) then I hear no audio sound. So I think I mainly have problems with audio routing. Does one of you have a good explanation of how I control my output settings, so that I hear sound per track. Are there any good videos, how do I arrange that exactly? Now I keep getting stuck and can't get any further.
What I especially want is to record some tracks with NI and a vocal part (s), which are then mixed again by a band member.

I just saw a youtibe movie of Josh Bour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBd_60lcnE&t=954s), with which he makes Kontakt with a miditrack. Then from this same Kontakt assigns all new sounds to the other midi channels / tracks. I was already happy with this explanation, but I think it is very cumbersome. It did help me on my way.
Please help, because I'm stuck.
Henk
The Netherlands
Henk S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #52
dldave

Quote:

Today I am getting only headphone output. Attached screenshots show my settings. What else should I show to solve this output problem?
Most of the time since my last post, I have used Reaper with output from both line output and headphones even though my settings were exactly as they are now. I could live with that, but not getting speaker output is wearing.
Attached Images
File Type: png ReaperPrefs.png (18.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: png MacProOuputSelector.png (14.5 KB, 94 views)