Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRack Modular Synth

Edit 12/12/2017

Version 2.0 release. See message here for details - https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=140

Edit 9/8/2017

Update 1.4, see message here for details - https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=96

Original post:

It's taken me a while, but my JSFX learning project is now complete, I think. I have been attempting to create a modular synth system. It is fairly basic in that there are no provisions to prevent aliasing apart from the ocsillator being hard limited at just below the Nyquist frequency. IMHO the system seems to work surprisingly well and could be useful for learning about sound synthesis. It is capable of subtractive, additive and rudimentary FM synthesis. It's here in the stash for anyone interesting in trying it out (there may still be bugs in it):

https://stash.reaper.fm/28403/ReaRack-ModularSynth.zip

The description reads as follows:
--------
A bunch of JSFX modules that can be used for modular synthesis. ReaRack is a MIDI controlled digital synth system modeled on voltage controlled analog hardware synths. It is a monophonic system but polyphony is possible using the included poly splitter module.

Three example projects are included in the zip file.

Currently there are 9 modules: Oscillator, LFO, Envelope generator,Filter, Amplifier, CC mixer, Trigger, Poly splitter and Key follower. Some modules (used for multiple voices) have a master/slave function so that certain parameters can be linked for ease of setup. Key module parameters can be modulated directly using the MIDI CC inputs, for those that can't, if need be, use REAPERS's parameter modulation. Modules receive MIDI on all channels. MIDI output can be directed to individual channels. For input channel filtering, use the REAPER track routing.
-------

Further to the description, I should add that to help with additive synthesis, there is a provision in the oscillator to select a harmonic of the fundamental as the oscillator pitch.

I have also included an 'Audio Modulation' section on the oscillator, whereby any preceding audio can be used for modulation in one of three ways:
1. The input audio and the oscillator output can be multiplied together to create a ring modulation effect.
2. The input audio can be used to modulate the frequency of the oscillator (FM synthesis).
3. The oscillator can be used to modulate the amplitude of any incoming audio.

Last edited by Time Waster; 12-12-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Notice of Update
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
semiquaver

excited to try this!

once you are happy please consider making available via ReaPack...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post

once you are happy please consider making available via ReaPack...
How do I do that? Are there instructions somewhere?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
xbitz_

https://github.com/cfillion/reapack-index/wiki
xbitz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbitz_ View Post
I'm not currently using Github, but I will look into it.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Time Waster

To anyone who has tried out ReaRack, is it self explanatory, or do I need to write a manual?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
sound warrior

hi everyone I'm wondering if you can help me. I'm trying to ajust the amps volume with the envelope like you can with subtractive synths but I'm having a problem, when I add the amp to my chain I experience a large drop in volume does any one know why this is and how to fix it?

please type out your explanations in text as I'm blind and I can not see pictures thanks guys
Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
sound warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
hi everyone I'm wondering if you can help me. I'm trying to ajust the amps volume with the envelope like you can with subtractive synths but I'm having a problem, when I add the amp to my chain I experience a large drop in volume does any one know why this is and how to fix it?

please type out your explanations in text as I'm blind and I can not see pictures thanks guys
hi everyone I've just ran a test and I can tell you that sample projects do not behave like this but the patches I make do, and when I coppied a synth chain from a sample project to a blank project the behav was the same as I described in my last post see above I hope you can help with this guys
Old 04-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Time Waster

Hi Trey, The output CC of the envelope generator has to match the input CC of the amplifier module. Make sure that the amplifier input is not set to 'manual'. The note velocity of the envelope generator trigger inputs will affect the peak volume of the amplifier. You can test this by reducing the velocity sensitivity of the envelope generator.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Time Waster

Maybe post a screenshot of your setup if possible?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
sound warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Maybe post a screenshot of your setup if possible?
hey man thanks for all your help I think I fixed the problem I'm using a social entropy engine to sequence rearack it must transmit at very low default velocity because with the env velocity set to 1 it was quiet the lower I moved the velocity slider the louder it was so I shall set the velocity slider very low when making patches

please could you explain to me how to build a sequencer with rearack? if I build a sequencer will I be able to use it to control rearack and midi hardware? thanks just to let you know your synth is fully accessible with voice over on Mac os10 from my tests so far

your synth is a dream come true for me!!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
Time Waster

One of the example projects includes a sequencer built using multiple trigger modules. The idea to use an LFO (set to a sawtooth waveform) to trigger the trigger modules. Trigger modules recieve CC messages and send a note message when the CC message reaches a set value. It's a long winded way of creating a sequencer and not the easiest to use, but it works.

I'm currently working on a new module which will be able to be used as a sequencer, among other things, and should be a lot easier to use. However, it's fairly complicated (for me) and it's taking me a while to code it, so don't hold your breath!

Have you read through the ReaRack manual?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
megadance

Oh, I totally forgot to subscribe to the thread ........

Just wanted to ask, if the high CPU usage on polyphonic patches is normal. For example the reaper performance meter shows 12 - 14 % CPU for track 6 in the PolyAdditiveSynth example project and the sound makes funny noises ... ;-). This generally happens when I create patches with 3 or 4 voices. Monophonic sounds play totally fine here.

I have a quite old macbook pro from end 2011 with a 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 16 gb ram and reaper 5.79. So it could be my computer ..
megadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
Time Waster

Additional CPU usage for multiple voices should be a straight multiplication of the CPU usage for a single voice.

The Poly Additive Synth project is an extreme example of what you can do with ReaRack. It has 64 oscillators in total (8 voices with 8 harmonics each). I would expect it to be heavy on the CPU, it pretty much maxed out my older 2.66 GHz laptop. On my main computer, a 3.5 GHz 6 core Xeon, the CPU usage for each voice track is around 2.5%, with a total CPU usage for the project of around 17%. Additive synthesis generally is not an efficient method for sound synthesis. If it was a hardware synth, you would need 64 sine wave oscillators to reproduce this example, which is probably why subtractive synthesis was invented. You would probably only use additive synthesis if you wanted precise control over the level of each harmonic.

A modular synth system such as this is never going to be as efficient as an all in one synth, but generally I have found the CPU usage to be reasonable.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #15
megadance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Additional CPU usage for multiple voices should be a straight multiplication of the CPU usage for a single voice.

The Poly Additive Synth project is an extreme example of what you can do with ReaRack. It has 64 oscillators in total (8 voices with 8 harmonics each). I would expect it to be heavy on the CPU, it pretty much maxed out my older 2.66 GHz laptop. On my main computer, a 3.5 GHz 6 core Xeon, the CPU usage for each voice track is around 2.5%, with a total CPU usage for the project of around 17%. Additive synthesis generally is not an efficient method for sound synthesis. If it was a hardware synth, you would need 64 sine wave oscillators to reproduce this example, which is probably why subtractive synthesis was invented. You would probably only use additive synthesis if you wanted precise control over the level of each harmonic.

A modular synth system such as this is never going to be as efficient as an all in one synth, but generally I have found the CPU usage to be reasonable.
Ah, thx! Now I understand, what is going on
megadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
Time Waster

Default ReaRack version 2.3 release.

ReaRack has been updated to version 2.3. This version of the collection includes the Envelope Multi-Tool module and the MIDI Mixer module. The CC Mixer module has been deleted. The MIDI Nonlinearizer and Amplifier modules have been updated. The manual has also received a long overdue update and includes a section on the Envelope Multi-Tool.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you!
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote