Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
DaleD
Human being with feelings

Default how to create an action for this?....

Hello everyone, I'm still fairly new to reaper and so far im loving it, but I have a certain action that I'd like to create. How can I go about doing this.....Is it possible to create an action to skip to the next area of intentional clipping? I clip the sound intentionally to mark an error and it'd like to create an action to press a key that will automatically go to the next area of clipping so I can go through and edit out my mistakes much more efficiently.

If anyone can point me to the right direction to create this, that would be incredibly appreciated.

Dale
DaleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
hopi

one way would be to put a marker at each of those locations [just hit the M key to drop in a marker] then use the actions to move to next or previous marker
Old 10-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
DaleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
one way would be to put a marker at each of those locations [just hit the M key to drop in a marker] then use the actions to move to next or previous marker
While this is an amazing tip, unfortunately it won't work in my case. My laptop is closed while I record to prevent the fan from coming on. I use a clicker to create the spike in audio to peak to be able to clearly see where I made an error when I go back to edit. but this tip is great for someone who has the luxury of having a separate keyboard!
Old 10-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Normally the laptop lid has absolutely nothing to do with when the fan comes on, so that's already strange...in fact it should cause the fan to come on sooner since it's trapping more heat.

You can use a MIDI controller to create markers and move between them and do that without a screen. That would be far superior to the hack you've got going now.

There are no actions in Reaper that detect clipping peaks. Possible someone could write a script for you that adds markers wherever peaks are detected. But just get a MIDI controller; you'll find even more uses for it eventually.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM   #5
DaleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Normally the laptop lid has absolutely nothing to do with when the fan comes on, so that's already strange...in fact it should cause the fan to come on sooner since it's trapping more heat.

You can use a MIDI controller to create markers and move between them and do that without a screen. That would be far superior to the hack you've got going now.

There are no actions in Reaper that detect clipping peaks. Possible someone could write a script for you that adds markers wherever peaks are detected. But just get a MIDI controller; you'll find even more uses for it eventually.
based on my testing, the screen being on created more heat, so in order for me to get through my longer jobs without the fan coming on, the solution was to get an external monitor which I had lying around and close the laptop screen. That immediately solved my problem of the fan coming on. But......you have made me realize something just now, I had to do this when I was running pro tools! Maybe, I won't have that problem with reaper as its not as power hungry. I'll try that first and then if not, I'll move on to the midi controller just like you said! Thanks for sparking that idea!