Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #201
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Reaper provides a [param] button with each plugin, Here you can select any of it's DAW parameters and then do "parameter modulation / Midi Link".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #202
sound warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Reaper provides a [param] button with each plugin, Here you can select any of it's DAW parameters and then do "parameter modulation / Midi Link".

-Michael
hi man I know how to get there but how do I set the midi link up so it works with rearack modules? also is there a way to get glide sounds from rearack no matter what I do I only seam to get pings with very short attack thanks man
Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #203
mschnell

This of course depends as well on the sender of the CC, as on the receiver/owner of the DAW-Parameter.

So you seem to need support by Time Waster.

-Michael
Old 04-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #204
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
hi man I know how to get there but how do I set the midi link up so it works with rearack modules? also is there a way to get glide sounds from rearack no matter what I do I only seam to get pings with very short attack thanks man
To set up the MIDI link, first you will need a ReaRack control module e.g. an LFO or envelope generator to provide a CC signal. Set the 'CC Output' to the number you want to use. Then, in the 'Parameter Modulation/Link' dialog box, check 'Link from MIDI or FX Parameter'. Then in the drop down menue below that, choose MIDI>CC 14-bit>whatever CC number you have chosen. Use the 'Offset' and 'Scale' sliders below that to adjust the amount of modulation.

Regarding the short attacks etc, the attack, decay, sustain and release rates are all set by the envelope generator, which outputs a CC control signal to the amplifier. The time values for each stage can be varied. There are three controls which affect the duration of each stage. The first is the Timebase control This is a global control for all envelope stages. Choose from 'Seconds' or 'Beats'. For each envelope stage there is is a coarse time control which sets the maximum stage duration as a multiple or fraction of a beat or second. There is also a fine time control to adjust the duration to less than the maximum. The maximum duration for any stage using the set slider values is 32 seconds or beats, but you can actually type any value into the slider text box if you want a longer duration or something other than the default values.

The envelope generator is one of the more complex modules, so refer to the manual and ask here if anything is not clear. I'm assuming that you understand envelope generators, but if not, we can go into more detail.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #205
megadance

Oh, I totally forgot to subscribe to the thread ........

Just wanted to ask, if the high CPU usage on polyphonic patches is normal. For example the reaper performance meter shows 12 - 14 % CPU for track 6 in the PolyAdditiveSynth example project and the sound makes funny noises ... ;-). This generally happens when I create patches with 3 or 4 voices. Monophonic sounds play totally fine here.

I have a quite old macbook pro from end 2011 with a 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 16 gb ram and reaper 5.79. So it could be my computer ..
megadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #206
Time Waster

Additional CPU usage for multiple voices should be a straight multiplication of the CPU usage for a single voice.

The Poly Additive Synth project is an extreme example of what you can do with ReaRack. It has 64 oscillators in total (8 voices with 8 harmonics each). I would expect it to be heavy on the CPU, it pretty much maxed out my older 2.66 GHz laptop. On my main computer, a 3.5 GHz 6 core Xeon, the CPU usage for each voice track is around 2.5%, with a total CPU usage for the project of around 17%. Additive synthesis generally is not an efficient method for sound synthesis. If it was a hardware synth, you would need 64 sine wave oscillators to reproduce this example, which is probably why subtractive synthesis was invented. You would probably only use additive synthesis if you wanted precise control over the level of each harmonic.

A modular synth system such as this is never going to be as efficient as an all in one synth, but generally I have found the CPU usage to be reasonable.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #207
megadance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Additional CPU usage for multiple voices should be a straight multiplication of the CPU usage for a single voice.

The Poly Additive Synth project is an extreme example of what you can do with ReaRack. It has 64 oscillators in total (8 voices with 8 harmonics each). I would expect it to be heavy on the CPU, it pretty much maxed out my older 2.66 GHz laptop. On my main computer, a 3.5 GHz 6 core Xeon, the CPU usage for each voice track is around 2.5%, with a total CPU usage for the project of around 17%. Additive synthesis generally is not an efficient method for sound synthesis. If it was a hardware synth, you would need 64 sine wave oscillators to reproduce this example, which is probably why subtractive synthesis was invented. You would probably only use additive synthesis if you wanted precise control over the level of each harmonic.

A modular synth system such as this is never going to be as efficient as an all in one synth, but generally I have found the CPU usage to be reasonable.
Ah, thx! Now I understand, what is going on
megadance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #208
Time Waster

Default ReaRack version 2.3 release.

ReaRack has been updated to version 2.3. This version of the collection includes the Envelope Multi-Tool module and the MIDI Mixer module. The CC Mixer module has been deleted. The MIDI Nonlinearizer and Amplifier modules have been updated. The manual has also received a long overdue update and includes a section on the Envelope Multi-Tool.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #209
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you!
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #210
Time Waster

Default Release 2.3.1

Envelope Multi-Tool Updated. Replaced the Sustain Level control with a Stage End Point Level control. This allows modulation of the output level of any stage. Also, many bug fixes for this module.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #211
nappies

Time Waster! Thank you! You make really great stuff!

I have an idea how to save space and with use templates like DrumMachine.rpp and other multichannel templates.Maybe use "Score" track like a folder.And other child tracks like midi recivers. But Reaper have some limitation to add midi send from folder to child track.Please maybe you can create simple JS midi sender and reciver for this scheme?

nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #212
Time Waster

Thanks nappies, I'll put the 'MIDI send to child track' issue on my list of things to look into.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #213
nappies

It'll be cool! Great!Thank you!
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #214
brainwreck

I can't believe that I haven't tried Rearack until today. It looks very promising! I will have to start exploring it a bit. Thanks Time Waster!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #215
Time Waster

Hi Brainwreck, I can't believe it either! A lot of of the impetus for me getting into JSFX to create ReaRack came from discussions we were having a few years back in a thread about modular synth software.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #216
brainwreck

Well it's certainly nice to see someone do something useful from that discussion. My interest in synthesis comes and goes, so I might go some months without ever thinking about synthesis or using is at all, which is probably why I am only just getting around to checking Rearack out. My primary instruments are guitar and bass, and lately I'm spending more time playing drums than anything else.

Something that I'm noticing is, in the the list of available Rearack modules in the effects browser, there seems to be 2 copies of each module but with different names. So for example:

Rearack - Oscillator
Rearack - Oscillator [Synthesis/Rearack-ModularSynth/Rearack/Rearack_Oscillator]

Maybe this has something to do witih Reapack?

Also, I'm not seeing the same modules as what are mentioned in the Rearack manual. For example, I see: Rearack - Oscillator. But I don't see: Oscillator - Trapezoidal.

Last edited by brainwreck; 09-24-2018 at 10:31 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #217
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Something that I'm noticing is, in the the list of available Rearack modules in the effects browser, there seems to be 2 copies of each module but with different names. So for example:

Rearack - Oscillator
Rearack - Oscillator [Synthesis/Rearack-ModularSynth/Rearack/Rearack_Oscillator]

Maybe this has something to do witih Reapack?
It looks like you have installed the files from the stash as well as the files from ReaPack. You only need one or the other as they are identical, so delete one of the sets. ReaPack puts it's copies in a sub folder (/synthesis/Rearack-ModularSynth/Rearack), so there will be a copy there and probably a copy in the top level under /Effects if you installed them from the stash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Also, I'm not seeing the same modules as what are mentioned in the Rearack manual. For example, I see: Rearack - Oscillator. But I don't see: Oscillator - Trapezoidal.
There should definitely be more than one oscillator. I don't know what's going on there. Have a look in the stash zip file. They should all be in there.

Note that there are two versions of ReaRack in the stash. ReaRack2 is the current working version, which uses only MIDI for control signal communication. This version is identical to the copy in ReaPack. ReaRack3 is only in the stash, not in ReaPack. It is a development version which uses audio channels as well as MIDI for control signals. ReaRack3 only includes the trapezoidal oscillator at present. I've called it a beta version, but it's probably in more of an alpha state TBH.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #218
brainwreck

That makes sense on the duplicates. I'm not sure what happened on the missing modules. I'm guessing those were older modules (maybe v1). I probably did install Rearack back then but didn't find time to start checking it out and forgot about installing it. Or it was installed through ReaPack. And if so, maybe ReaPack was only updating what was already there when I used the sync repositories function.

Any way, I deleted what was there and replaced it with the stuff from the stash, so everything looks good.

Last edited by brainwreck; 09-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #219
SmajjL

For some reason NI Replika does not like RR2 Env Gen, no problemo with ReaVerbate.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #220
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
For some reason NI Replika does not like RR2 Env Gen, no problemo with ReaVerbate.
Can you you be more specific about what you you are doing, how you are doing it and what's not working with Replika?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:23 AM   #221
SmajjL

Turns out I can't today/now atm.. for some reason.. all I did was have a RS5K, Env Gen, RR2 Filter Moog, Replika, and as soon as I activated Env Gen, it would "lag" and sound un-useable and I could just SHIFT click Env Gen ON/OFF (bypass) and it would go to normal to not, normal.

I will report back when/if I find something out that is reproduceable on Fridays.

A moment in time later: Found it! bad SmajjL!
If RR2 Env Gen is set to MIDI Out (ALL) then this will happen, so, I won't.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-28-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 AM   #222
Time Waster

If you select "all" channels, you are sending out 16 channels worth of hi-res MIDI. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, but depending on your CPU and whatever else is going on, that might be enough to max it out. I suspect that Replika might chew up a bit of processing power.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #223
SmajjL

It is not even the default and I must just have touched it the oopsy-way.
I am on a i7-7700K and was only having that One track with this though and only REAPER was running.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #224
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I am on a i7-7700K...
I would have thought that would handle it ok. If you get a chance, pull up the performance monitor to see what's happening.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #225
SmajjL

Sure, I have a chance.

So, it might look I have CPU to spare, but it is choppy I tell ya with All Channels Out.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #226
Time Waster

Sorry, I meant Reaper's performance monitor. Anyway, if you are over 25% CPU use with four cores, you could be maxed out on the audio thread. In task manager, if you go to the "view" tab, you can set it to show the activity for all of the logical cores (usually eight on a four core processor with hyperthreading).
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #227
SmajjL

ahh, it's like 2.0 % OFF and 40-50% ON there, I don't need to use that mode anyway thank gawd.

Edit: Ohh-lala.. RT CPU is like 165-200%
And everything ON and set MIDI Out to channel 1 is 2.7% CPU and 10% RT CPU.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-29-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #228
Time Waster

Makes me wonder if, with hi-res CCs, the option to send to all channels is fairly useless. Is anybody using that option?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #229
SmajjL

Hmm, tough crowd..

Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #230
SmajjL

As you wish..

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-03-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Bas Synth.. :p
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #231
mschnell

As this thread is about synths and not about sequencers, this is perfectly off-topic here.

-Michael
Old 11-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #232
prom

Hi
I just discovered these components of yours were available.I only had a listen to oscillator.
I like it.Hope you find the time to keep going with this interesting development.
You know about the output at load I imagine(I haven't read the thread...sorry)?
I just saved a default preset for it to open lower.
Thanks

Last edited by prom; 12-01-2018 at 11:54 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #233
Time Waster

Hi Prom, I am continuing development with ReaRack version 3. This is currently in 'beta' phase as I'm making a lot of frequent changes, and it is only available from the stash. The more stable and relatively bug free version 2 is in the stash and also in ReaPack.

The design of ReaRack was initially based on the analog modular synth paradigm, so the oscillators continually output a signal. There is a volume control on each oscillator, but it is purely for mixing purposes. In ReaRack2 and earlier you have to add an amplifier module after the oscillator(s) to dynamically attenuate the signal. The amplifier output is modulated, usually by an envelope generator.

As well as adding the ability to use audio channels as control signal, ReaRack3 is moving away from the pure analog synth paradigm. In ReaRack3 there is no dedicated amplifier module. Instead the audio oscillators can have their volume modulated directly (If an amplifier function is still desired, the ReaRack3 Signal Processor module can be used to attenuate the volume of an audio signal using a modulation input). However the default behaviour of ReaRack3 oscillators when added is still the same as for ReaRack2.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #234
prom

Hi
It is good to know you have further development in mind.
The scopes on the components are very informative.
Quick play earlier - envelope (great envelope btw)& lfo were feeding oscillator shape and pitch ,triggers came from two midi items looped in series (1st item was sending values from a midi sequencer), got the sigmal processor in there doing some amplitude limiting ,stuck a flavour of reaDelay & a touch reverb on the end.
Trap osc sounds lovely, a harmonic generator,I like the raw waveforms but tried pitching it low through filter around 80hz set with a small spike of resonance and some drive, compensated by some output reduction...I could not describe that.

Really like your JS system.

Thanks

Last edited by prom; 12-02-2018 at 05:19 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #235
Time Waster

Thanks for the feedback prom. I hope you can have some fun with it.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:00 AM   #236
GonZ

I'm testing now for the first time and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what but I cannot achieve the FM works on "Oscillator-Additive". Because I can do it with "Oscillator-Twin-Saw" with no problems.

Anyway, thanks again for this synth.
Gonzalo

PS: this is stupid but if you update it some day, could change on the "Oscillator-Additive" module the pitch text "Any (MIDI note" to just "MIDI note" (as the others modules). Yes, as I said, nothing important
GonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #237
Time Waster

Hi GonZ, thanks for reporting the FM bug, it was in both the additive and trapezoidal oscillators. I have fixed it and put new versions in the stash copy of ReaRack2. I also fixed the typo you mentioned. I will update the ReaPack copy within the next few days, if I can get around to it.

The bug was also in the ReaRack3 version of the trapezoidal oscillator, which has now been updated in the stash.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #238
GonZ

Hi friend, I'm sorry for my late answer, I've been out. Thanks to solving all problems (even terminology "fool" issues ) Let me know if you achieve to upload to Reapack.

By the way, thanks to mentioning ReaRack3 because I'd not noticed it. Where can it be gotten? Stash?

Thanks for all!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #239
Time Waster

Hi GonZ, The ReaPack copy of ReaRack2 has been updated. ReaRack3 is only available in the stash, here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34071/ReaR...dularSynth.zip
Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #240
GonZ

Nice! I really appreciate all your help. I see it's on beta, so I'll test it when I have time and any help you need, let me know!

PS: I'm now using the latest version on Reapack of Rearack2 (2.3.5) and I still cannot use the FM (at least on trapezoidal osc). It's that the latest version?

Last edited by GonZ; 03-25-2019 at 04:12 AM.