Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
RustyP
Human being with feelings

Default Overlay image preset help, please

Hi folks,
I'm attempting to use the image overlay preset to place a small image in the corner of a larger video.

trk1 is the image with the preset set up to place the image correctly at the right time.
trk2 is the video

the video looks fine, but when it comes time for the image to appear in the corner, the entire screen goes black for a split second. then the image comes up overlaid correctly on the video.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
RustyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
uncleswede

It sounds like there is a tiny section of the timeline where there is no video item present on either track.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
RustyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
It sounds like there is a tiny section of the timeline where there is no video item present on either track.

I was able to fix the problem by bringing down the alpha channel value to 0.

I don't really know what that's for, but it worked.

Thanks!
RustyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
jon_harris7

I'm having the same problem. I was hoping the suggested alpha channel setting would fix it, but that created other problems for me. I'm using some PNG files with transparency, and it messed that all up.

I have also noticed that the playback cursor and transport time readout momentarily freeze when it hits the image overlay, at the same time the video goes black, then skips ahead and moves smoothly when the video returns. It's like the whole GUI is freezing up temporarily.
The render is fine, but it definitely makes editing videos with lots of images annoying!
jon_harris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
jon_harris7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_harris7 View Post
I have also noticed that the playback cursor and transport time readout momentarily freeze when it hits the image overlay, at the same time the video goes black, then skips ahead and moves smoothly when the video returns. It's like the whole GUI is freezing up temporarily.
I just discovered that the choice of Preferences->Video/Import/Misc->Output makes a difference. With the recommeded setting of DirectShow EVR, it freezes for about a second. With DirectShow - Automatic, the freeze is shorter. With any of the DirectShow force options, the flicker is gone! I don't really know what those settings do, so I'm a bit hesitant to change them without knowing how it would affect my final render.
jon_harris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
mcapps

Default that worked for me

Yes having the same problem. The first DirectShow force options fix it for me. Thank you for the info. For me this just started when I downloaded to v6.32
mcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
fuzzball

I have always had the issue when the screen blanks for a second when Reaper is displaying multiple videos, specifically when it gets to the point of having to open an additional video. It makes editing difficult.

When I render however it has never had the issue carry over to the output video, so I just learned to live with it.

Considering that when my slow system renders a MOV file it rarely does it faster than .8x, that would indicate that it just can't keep up processing all of that data in real time.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
papagirafe

What you are reporting in the preview about the black screen is annoying but normal. One way to test a transition is to extend the start of item to the left with an opacity of zero.
papagirafe is online now   Reply With Quote