Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
fuzzball
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Drums more subtle than MT-PowerDrumKit

I have used MT-PowerDrumKit for a while, and I love that it has many "Grooves" that you can just drag and drop into your song. But often I find myself looking for more subtle drum sounds, such as with brushes instead of drumsticks. Something for jazz or folk instead of rock.

Does anyone recommend a reasonably priced VST drum kit that also has drag-n-drop grooves, which would work better for jazz, etc?
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
I have used MT-PowerDrumKit for a while, and I love that it has many "Grooves" that you can just drag and drop into your song. But often I find myself looking for more subtle drum sounds, such as with brushes instead of drumsticks. Something for jazz or folk instead of rock.

Does anyone recommend a reasonably priced VST drum kit that also has drag-n-drop grooves, which would work better for jazz, etc?
You could try the Organic Calfskin Vst, has several kits which include brushes and mallets.
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #3
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
You could try the Organic Calfskin Vst, has several kits which include brushes and mallets.
It was the first that came to mind for me as well.

I don't remember if Spitfire Audio LABS Drums had any brushes, but it definitely sounds great for more mellow stuff.

You can also try some of the drumkits from the Reaper forums user Vincent Sermonne at http://tchackpoum.fr/

There are two kits, Bastard and Signia, that are made for Samplomatic5000, so you don't need any software other than Reaper to use them. The other ones are mainly for Kontakt 6. I don't know if you need the full version of Kontakt or if you can use the free version though. Great sounding drumkits!
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:13 AM   #4
Geoff-h3o

How about
https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/sa-brushes-mallets
https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/sa-jazz-drums
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
maxdembo

BFD3! Great brush stuff.

If you can find it on sale, its often on a half price sale, and the expansions are often on half price sales too. Not sure about current sales tho.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
fuzzball

Thanks all, I'll give those a look.

My biggest issue is that my drumming skills are lacking, and so the fact that MT-PowerDrumKit has a selection of intros, grooves and fills that I can drag and drop, and THEN massage as needed, is a huge help.

I basically want that feature, but with a much more subdued style.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:44 AM   #7
Stoker

Quote:
Thanks all, I'll give those a look.

My biggest issue is that my drumming skills are lacking, and so the fact that MT-PowerDrumKit has a selection of intros, grooves and fills that I can drag and drop, and THEN massage as needed, is a huge help.

I basically want that feature, but with a much more subdued style.
There's nothing to stop you using the MT Power Kit grooves (they are just MIDI) and then using a different VST or sample set to play the grooves.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:12 AM   #8
martifingers

Quote:
There's nothing to stop you using the MT Power Kit grooves (they are just MIDI) and then using a different VST or sample set to play the grooves.
Absolutely. I have got some er.. interesting results replacing the kit with bodhran and other sounds. A bit of MIDI editing and you could well be on your way to some very interesting musical fusions!
I know exactly what you mean about lack of skill though but I think the only remedy for that is basic study. Anyone got any good tips on resources for that?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
fuzzball

Quote:
You know.... that's a great idea! Thanks! I will give that a shot.

I have the rhythm of a snail.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
mixer9

Quote:
You know.... that's a great idea! Thanks! I will give that a shot.

I have the rhythm of a snail.
So... maybe try some ambient stuff!

Another idea, set up Sitala with samples you like, and route your midi into it.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:20 AM   #11
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I know exactly what you mean about lack of skill though but I think the only remedy for that is basic study. Anyone got any good tips on resources for that?
I found the 'Think Like a Drummer' series on spacecabinaudio useful when I was trying to improve my drum programming.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:32 AM   #12
JonLinnarson

Quote:
The only problem is that not all drum software use the same drum MIDI maping. Many of them do have kick and snare in the same place though, but you might need to do some editing to get the grooves to play correctly with software other than what they were made for.

@Fuzzball If you are planning to spend money on drum software, Toontrack EZdrummer 2 is a great starting point. They have tons of MIDI groove libraries for all sorts of genres and drum library expansion packs for everything from jazz and indie to rock and metal. When you've gained a bit of experience and knowledge in drum programming and mixing you can upgrade to Superior Drummer 3 for more advanced and higher quality drums
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #13
ivansc

I have tried to sign up for the organic calfskin kit & it goes to an error404 page. Anyone got a working link to the download site?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #14
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have tried to sign up for the organic calfskin kit & it goes to an error404 page. Anyone got a working link to the download site?
It's the same for me

I've still got the zip file I downloaded from them earlier this year. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can send it to you somehow.

--Ian
Old 05-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #15
fuzzball

Quote:
Way back when I started this thread I was not able to download Organic Calfskin. I finally downloaded it and took your advice by using MT-Power Kit to build the grooves and then played the grooves via Organic Calfskin. It sounded pretty good after some tweaks.

Basically I built the track using MT Power Drumkit and then duplicated the track and muted the original. Then on the duplicate I removed MT Power Drumkit and added Organic Calfskin.

I'm still looking for some more subtle drum sounds, but this was a big help.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #16
martifingers

Hi fuzzball. Sounds like progress. If you haven't come across it before it's maybe worth looking into Decent Sampler. There are a few interesting looking percussion libraries eg https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/andean-bombo/
and https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/hu...cussion-world/ that have a rootsy vibe. Most are free of course as is the Decent sampler player itself.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote