- Audio interface: Axe-Fx 3 via USB
- setting see attached screenshots

There was an error opening the audio hardware:
ALSA: error finalizing input device parameters

Any ideas?

Thx
Jörg
Attached Images
File Type: png ksnip_20211014-164501.png (15.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png ksnip_20211014-164411.png (33.4 KB, 70 views)
softmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmonaut View Post
Hi folks,

- native Reaper on linux mint 20.2 Cinnamon
- Audio interface: Axe-Fx 3 via USB
- setting see attached screenshots

There was an error opening the audio hardware:
ALSA: error finalizing input device parameters

Any ideas?

Thx
Jörg
Nice piece of kit! I looked up the specs on the Axe-Fx III website and found the following:

A 16-core, 500 MHz microcontroller provides 16 channels of flawless USB audio (8 in, 8 out) allowing the Axe-Fx III to be the center of your music workstation. The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces. With 8×8 channels you can record multiple tracks of processed audio, DI signals, etc., while monitoring backing tracks, auditioning stereo reamps in real-time, and more. A USB audio sound source can even be placed on the grid with its own dedicated block. Windows 7/8/10 drivers are included, and the Axe-Fx III requires no driver on a Mac running 10.7.4 or newer.

This information seems to imply that it may very well be class compliant. However, I can't be sure.

Further searching yields the following:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/i...itle=USB#Linux

Stating:

The Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III can work as an audio and MIDI interface just as they do on Windows or OS X, although Linux is not supported officially.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa.../#post-1303324

And:

Axe-Fx III
The Axe-Fx III, unlike the Axe-Fx II, has the firmware built in - so there are no firmware binary blobs that have to be uploaded.

Kernel patches
The required kernel patches have been merged in Linux v4.18. Ubuntu 18.04.2 (or derivative) has upgraded to kernel version v4.18 so the Axe-Fx III should work out of the box.

What follows are descriptions of the required patches previous to v.18:

Due to the USB audio configuration used - asynchronous output with implicit feedback endpoints, a quirk needs to be introduced.
The Axe-Fx III USB port enumerates immediately after being turned on - but does not respond to commands until it fully boots up, which needs a workaround in the USB audio module

Threads about using Axe-Fx III with Linux:

USB issue when powering on unit
Linux: USB Overflows

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...n-unit.137649/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...3#post-1632462
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Nice piece of kit! I looked up the specs on the Axe-Fx III website and found the following:

A 16-core, 500 MHz microcontroller provides 16 channels of flawless USB audio (8 in, 8 out) allowing the Axe-Fx III to be the center of your music workstation. The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces. With 8×8 channels you can record multiple tracks of processed audio, DI signals, etc., while monitoring backing tracks, auditioning stereo reamps in real-time, and more. A USB audio sound source can even be placed on the grid with its own dedicated block. Windows 7/8/10 drivers are included, and the Axe-Fx III requires no driver on a Mac running 10.7.4 or newer.

This information seems to imply that it may very well be class compliant. However, I can't be sure.

Further searching yields the following:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/i...itle=USB#Linux

Stating:

The Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III can work as an audio and MIDI interface just as they do on Windows or OS X, although Linux is not supported officially.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa.../#post-1303324

And:

Axe-Fx III
The Axe-Fx III, unlike the Axe-Fx II, has the firmware built in - so there are no firmware binary blobs that have to be uploaded.

Kernel patches
The required kernel patches have been merged in Linux v4.18. Ubuntu 18.04.2 (or derivative) has upgraded to kernel version v4.18 so the Axe-Fx III should work out of the box.

What follows are descriptions of the required patches previous to v.18:

Due to the USB audio configuration used - asynchronous output with implicit feedback endpoints, a quirk needs to be introduced.
The Axe-Fx III USB port enumerates immediately after being turned on - but does not respond to commands until it fully boots up, which needs a workaround in the USB audio module

Threads about using Axe-Fx III with Linux:

USB issue when powering on unit
Linux: USB Overflows

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...n-unit.137649/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...3#post-1632462
Based on the above information, I would suggest trying what was mentioned in their forum:

It seems the Axe-Fx 3 errors out when trying to respond to USB control messages while its booting up, for example to query the current clock selector value (UAC2_CS_CUR)

In Linux, I'm seeing a protocol error messages returned by the driver, during the time the Axe-FX 3 boots up.

If I instead disconnect the USB cable, boot up the Axe-Fx 3 then connect the USB cable, it responds to USB messages just fine.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
audiojunkie

In other words, try to:

Disconnect the USB cable, boot up the Axe-Fx 3 then connect the USB cable, it then should respond to USB messages just fine.

I hope this helps!!

P.S. You also need a kernel newer than 4.18.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
softmonaut

Default Native Reaper, Audio Device Axe-Fx 3 via USB, ASLA Error

Dear audiojunkie,

Thanks for the detailed answer. Connecting a booted AXE unfortunately does not work for me or I missed something.

I tried the following order:
- Booting up the AXE
- Connect to USB
- Open Reaper -> Same error messages

Connecting before opening Reaper understandably leads to the error message: ALSA error opening input device.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
Glennbo

It might be that some other process is latching onto it so it looks unavailable to REAPER. Somebody here had an audio device they couldn't get REAPER to connect with, and it turned out some part of Pulse was grabbing it IIRC. You might go into the Pulse mixer and on the configuration tab, make sure the Axe-FX is set to OFF.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
softmonaut

Default [SOLVED] Native Reaper, Audio Device Axe-Fx 3 via USB, ASLA Error

Glennbo, you solved it. Simply followed your advice and it works. Many thanks!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmonaut View Post
Glennbo, you solved it. Simply followed your advice and it works. Many thanks!
Veddy cool! I looked up that unit you are using and it looks like it would be pretty cool to plug a couple guitars and bass in at the same time for recording.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:54 AM   #9
softmonaut

Yes, the AXE-FX 3 is pretty cool once it's connected :-)
Thanks again to all for your help.