Old 05-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #41
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Is it possible to add time selection to the reduce envelope points action please?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Having automation item grouping would in fact be extremely cool and useful.
I agreee, that would be very useful. This is definitely something we will add, though I'm not sure when exactly.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #43
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
insert menu - shouldn't there be an action here?
You mean add the existing "insert automation item" action to the main Insert menu? Yes. Er, maybe. Will think about.

Quote:
is it possible to cmd-drag in the automation item lane to create a new one?
alt(opt)-drag, as you've probably already found out. The next build will have more options for exactly what happens here (make pooled/unpooled copy of selected automation item, create new automation item).

Quote:
probably reported already, this needs some consistency

mouse modifiers> Envelope segment, left drag.
default action = insert envelope point, drag to move
I can't reproduce this! Could you attach your reaper.ini and reaper-mouse.ini files please?

Quote:
Only way I've figured to extend/shorten without stretch/loop is to use glue.
What is it you want to do exactly? If you want to extend the automation item by collecting the underlying envelope points into it, that's ctrl(cmd)-drag by default. If you want to extend the existing contents without looping, like extending an unlooped media item, set the automation item to be unlooped (automation item properties, you can also set them unlooped by default in preferences) and just drag the edge.

... actually, I think you are talking about how, if you extend an unlooped automation item, the extended section can't be edited unless you glue it. The reason for this is to support pooling; imagine that you had two pooled automation items, one looped and one unlooped; if you were able to extend the unlooped item and edit the extended portion, that would affect the looped item in unpredictable ways. You could think of how two pooled (ghost-copied) MIDI items behave, as an analogy. Having said that, we can add a mouse modifier or option for this behavior.

Last edited by schwa; 05-06-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #44
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
How do we turn off this yellow flashing transport thing in OSX, it just flashes constantly, even with just a single audio file playing back.
I don't know that you can (at least yet), but it's indicative of something wrong with your system/project/fx. Maybe some problem with a fx (maybe on the master) being slow at starting and not completing the fx processing in the time allowed it. Take a look at rt longest block in the performance window, probably spikes when you start playback.

I think it's an awesome addition, but might need an option.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #45
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
How do we turn off this yellow flashing transport thing in OSX, it just flashes constantly, even with just a single audio file playing back.

Yeah that indicates a performance issue that should probably be addressed in the SWS preview implementation...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #46
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I agreee, that would be very useful. This is definitely something we will add, though I'm not sure when exactly.
As an interim addition, would it be possible to have some action(s)/modifier(s) to position/move edge/stretch all pooled AIs the same?

That itself would cover a lot of use-cases.

It'd also be a much faster workflow than having to group items a lot of the time. Most of the scenarios that I can think of personally using would only be on pooled copies.

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 05-06-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #47
vitalker

Quote:
As an interim addition, would it be possible to have some action(s)/modifier(s) to position/move edge/stretch all pooled AIs the same?
It would be useful to make a list of all the things that should be possible or just to show the concept.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #48
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
It would be useful to make a list of all the things that should be possible or just to show the concept.
If you understand why grouped AIs would be useful, then I think it's pretty obvious why actions affecting all pooled items would be equally as useful, but faster, in many cases.

I'm not sure how I would expand on this further.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #49
vitalker

Quote:

I'm not sure how I would expand on this further.
Come on. I didn't mean that. Do you speak Russian? I meant we should make a list of all the features and conception of AI's to help the devs.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #50
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Come on. I didn't mean that. Do you speak Russian? I meant we should make a list of all the features and conception of AI's to help the devs.
You quoted me and took the time to trim it to part of my post, so I naturally assumed that you were referring specifically to the thing that you quoted. Plus what you're saying here already exists: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186608 so it never crossed my mind that you were talking about that.

It seems like this discussion would be best done there as well, since it's not related to this specific release.

Anyway, just a simple misunderstanding.

Edit:

Maybe you mean a very specific single-user-maintained list of suggestions?

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 05-06-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #51
vitalker

Quote:
Maybe you mean a very specific single-user-maintained list of suggestions?
Maybe. Every single user can have an idea that nobody had before.
I know that there is a special thread for it. Nevertheless, not all of the suggestions were/are in any of prerelease.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #52
EpicSounds

Quote:
I can't reproduce this! Could you attach your reaper.ini and reaper-mouse.ini files please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv2g0owtwf...eaper.ini?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0939vr48yp...mouse.ini?dl=0
Quote:
re: extending automation items/changing length
What is it you want to do exactly?

... actually, I think you are talking about how, if you extend an unlooped automation item, the extended section can't be edited unless you glue it.
I expect it to work like a MIDI item drawn into the arrange view. cmd-drag to make an empty item. if you made it a length of 3.3 you can simply drag the right edge out another quarter note to make it 4 bars long.
It works more like an unlooped audio item and I think it would be more flexible without the limitation of the original length.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #53
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah that indicates a performance issue that should probably be addressed in the SWS preview implementation...
So in other words, don't use it, SWS has way too many bugs to be piling on more on Tim.

Can we just get a native preview item or preview item under mouse that works instead ?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #54
musicbynumbers

Quote:
That's great to hear, thanks Schwa!

Hopefully mutes too but neither of these will stop AIs becoming official so no rush. They have been super useful so far so thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #55
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I expect it to work like a MIDI item drawn into the arrange view. cmd-drag to make an empty item. if you made it a length of 3.3 you can simply drag the right edge out another quarter note to make it 4 bars long.
It works more like an unlooped audio item and I think it would be more flexible without the limitation of the original length.
With a default Reaper install, edge-left-dragging a midi item loops it when it reaches the edge. Otherwise you need to adjust the edge by stretching it. If there's no points then it works just like adjusting the edge of another midi/media item.

I think Schwa's point with pooled midi items is salient here. If you have a pooled midi item, how do you change the size of it? I know of no way to drag an edge to do so unless you change a setting. You can only stretch items or glue them (which breaks the pool for midi items).

As far as I can see, AI's work exactly like midi items in this regard. (until you change the "project->media item defaults->Loop source for new MIDI items" setting)

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 05-06-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #56
EpicSounds

Quote:
With a default Reaper install, edge-left-dragging a midi item loops it when it reaches the edge. Otherwise you need to adjust the edge by stretching it. If there's no points then it works just like adjusting the edge of another midi/media item.

I think Schwa's point with pooled midi items is salient here. If you have a pooled midi item, how do you change the size of it? I know of no way to drag an edge to do so. You can only stretch items or glue them (which breaks the pool for midi items).

As far as I can see, AI's work exactly like midi items in this regard.
I've never used a pooled midi item.
I set all loop source options off in preferences. I loop only when I need to loop, not by default.

Edit - with default loop AI off in preferences, I expect same behavior as with MIDI items with loop source off in preferences.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #57
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I've never used a pooled midi item.
I set all loop source options off in preferences. I loop only when I need to loop, not by default.
So maybe an issue here is that "Loop new automation items by default" and "Loop source for new MIDI items" work differently.

In fact, I'm kinda confused what the heck is happening when you turn off "Loop new automation items by default" and then edge drag an AI.

Is this a bug?

When you have an 'unlooped' AI, you can't do anything to the extension.

In the gif, I'm trying various envelope/point mouse modifiers and nothing works.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #58
Robert Randolph

Edit: I continued this discussion here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...66#post1841266

Sorry for cluttering the thread.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #59
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
So maybe an issue here is that "Loop new automation items by default" and "Loop source for new MIDI items" work differently.
They work the same if the MIDI item is pooled. I agree we should change this so they are more equivalent: If the item is unlooped and not pooled with other items in the project, extending the item should extend the underlying editable automation data, the same way unlooped and unpooled MIDI items work now.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #60
EpicSounds

exactly. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #61
vitalker

Quote:

When you have an 'unlooped' AI, you can't do anything to the extension.
If you want to add points after the right edge, you should use Ctrl+left drag to collect points, so you'll extend the item.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #62
ovnis

Is it a expected behaviour ?
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #63
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
No. Points should not vanish.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 AM   #64
dr_After

Found a bug - haven't notice this behaviour before - selecting with right drag gives unpredicted results - each time selection is different, it "jumps" + randomly right click menu appears:

EDIT: does not matter, hardware failure

Last edited by dr_After; 05-07-2017 at 06:36 AM.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #65
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
Found a bug - haven't notice this behaviour before - selecting with right drag gives unpredicted results - each time selection is different, it "jumps" + randomly right click menu appears:

I can not reproduce that in the latest pre-release, or in the current stable release.

There must be something else going on. My guess would be that some sort of mouse-button issue is occurring since it looks like there's a double-right click happening at times. Only the lower-right items are being selected improperly... which is what'd happen if your right-click flickered on/off quickly in that area.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #66
dr_After

Quote:
I can not reproduce that in the latest pre-release, or in the current stable release.

There must be something else going on. My guess would be that some sort of mouse-button issue is occurring since it looks like there's a double-right click happening at times. Only the lower-right items are being selected improperly... which is what'd happen if your right-click flickered on/off quickly in that area.
checked again and looks like you are right. Something's wrong on hardware side.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #67
semiquaver

Quote:
would definitely be an extremely fast workflow being able to drag n drop automation items from the media browser.
yep .
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #68
dupont

Hi,

I faced 2 crashes to desktop with reveal sound spire plugin when assigning an AI enveloppe to the pitch bend.
Also notices noises while moving some parameters like envelopes.

I tried within an other DAW and no issues.

I don't know if this Reaper issue is related to this pre-release or also happens in the stable release.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #69
Robert Randolph

Quote:
That's how it works currently with envelopes, not just AIs.

What else would you expect to happen?
Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #70
EvilDragon

Quote:
would definitely be an extremely fast workflow being able to drag n drop automation items from the media browser.
With the shape of the AI being previewed in the waveform area, as well! Wouldn't that be cool!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #71
ovnis

Quote:
What else would you expect to happen?
A better behaviour...
In place of reduce some points, the segment should not be able to be moved in the wrong way.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #72
EvilDragon

Well, it can't happen, since you're not selecting the points that are straight above the points that are making the square shape. When you move the points you've selected, you're basically removing those points above, and connecting to points before them.

It works as it should. You need to select more points to retain the square shape. You already have the modifiers to move selected points/segment in one direction only, use it - if all you want is raising those two points up!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #73
ovnis

Yes and I don't like this behaviour.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #74
EvilDragon

Use the "move on one axis only" modifier then. This is how it should behave, like it or not.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #75
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Use the "move on one axis only" modifier then. This is how it should behave, like it or not.
Same "bad behaviour" with this modifier, too. Points continue to be removed.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #76
EvilDragon

Works as expected, live with it.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #77
ovnis

Do you like this behaviour and if yes, why ?
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #78
EvilDragon

Yes, I like this behaviour because it's logical. What is selected, gets moved where you want it to be. What is not selected, is up for grabs. Just as it should be.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #79
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Same "bad behaviour" with this modifier, too. Points continue to be removed.
Move one axis works for me. No disappearing points.

If there is an actual bug here, I think more information needs to be communicated.

I also think the current behaviour is logical. If there is another way for it to work, that would be great information to share.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #80
ovnis

Quote:
Move one axis works for me. No disappearing points.
Try the same thing with the other axis !