Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #161
The-Zeronaut
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by araud View Post
Btw do you know any vsti/dxi/... that supports keyswitches? Especially free and small size are appreciated.
There you have a few (guitar and bass vsti) totally free

http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/download.html
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #162
araud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
There you have a few (guitar and bass vsti) totally free

http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/download.html
Wow! Treasure! But which of them does support keyswitches? I need something to test on.
araud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #163
araud

Default articulation maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFury View Post
Back in June I knew the keyswitch issue would come up one day. Ask gofer, I PMed him about it. That's when I knew the answer would be articulation maps, much like MIDI Drum Maps.
Thank you, TexasFury!

gofer, please speak up?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #164
gofer
-blänk-

I think all of the Pettinhouse guitar and bass instruments have some keyswitch articulations. The Direct Guitar one pretty sure does (going by the description on their page)

One thing to consider (I think): If you are using a channel per string, each triggering an individual instrument, the articulation switching keys must be sent on each of the used channels. Otherwise you'd switch articulation on one string only.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #165
araud

Default 0.2.2.291 Keyswitches!

Done! Please test it and provide feedback.
To create keyswitch go to instrument dialog.
To insert keyswitch "draw" selection with shift pressed. Popup menu will appear to select created keyswitches.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #166
gofer
-blänk-

Replying with a bit more time now :

Even if I don't have that much spare time these days and don't post that much, I am still following the TabEditor closely. I just don't have much constructive stuff to add, apart from repeating how awesome this thing evolves.

Another thought about keyswitches and channels: What I said above is restricting the user to use the same patch (with the same articulation switches) on all strings. It will be the easy route to get keyswitches going in the first place. But as soon as the user decides to put another sound, say on the bass strings - which might have a different set of keyswitches (or in the worst case just triggers audible notes on those keys) things get awful. So in the far run there would probably need to be a mode that allows individual keyswitch settings per string.

All that said, I personally still am quietly hoping to in the end be able to use your amazing editor for my MIDI guitar recordings. Editing those in a regular MIDI editor is a sheer nightmare, because of the "channel per string" thing.

The problem that for now forbids using TabEditor for that purpose is how it "simplifies" pitch messages, discarding small changes, when TabEditor is opened. That totally kills the original recording, as a MIDI guitar's output is actually 80% pitch bend messages (for legato/vibrato/whammy bar useage - all are transmitted using only pitch bend). Tab editor works ok-ish with legato and whammy bar dives, but destroys the subtle finger vibrato and very light shaking (think Jeff Beck) of the whammy.

That's of course just a reminder, no pressure. I am aware that I am seeking to use your work for a purpose it wasn't intended for. Thing is, I don't know of an editor which would be cool for that purpose and yours is so close .

Edit: Woaahh, did I already say you're fast? Downloading the new version. Can't test right now (am on the jump to work) but wanna see!
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #167
araud

Default pitch bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
The problem that for now forbids using TabEditor for that purpose is how it "simplifies" pitch messages, discarding small changes, when TabEditor is opened. That totally kills the original recording, as a MIDI guitar's output is actually 80% pitch bend messages (for legato/vibrato/whammy bar useage - all are transmitted using only pitch bend). Tab editor works ok-ish with legato and whammy bar dives, but destroys the subtle finger vibrato and very light shaking (think Jeff Beck) of the whammy.
Thanks for reminder, I will take care about it. I can't say when exactly, but your input is highly important for me. You know, for the first time I want to make coarse grain features and later to polish it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #168
araud

Default all2one channel fx

I've just added this Jesusonic plug into my TabEditor archive.
Just put is somewhere in "c:\Program Files\REAPER4\InstallData\Effects\MIDI"
This helps to avoid assigning instruments on each string (channel)
You just put this FX first in the chain and that's it.

Seems like I will need an installer soon
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #169
The-Zeronaut

Quote:
Done! Please test it and provide feedback.
To create keyswitch go to instrument dialog.
To insert keyswitch "draw" selection with shift pressed. Popup menu will appear to select created keyswitches.
AWESOME.

ill try it this weekend >.<
The-Zeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #170
john doe

Sorry, but if I try to open the Zip archive, it says the archive is not valid or destroyed. Anyone else?
Thanks
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #171
EvilDragon

Try downloading again.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #172
john doe

did that, but Windows wouldn´t open the zip.
Anyway...tried 7-Zip and it worked. Feel kinda stupid, could´ve thought about that earlier...
Thanks.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #173
araud

Default archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
did that, but Windows wouldn´t open the zip.
Anyway...tried 7-Zip and it worked. Feel kinda stupid, could´ve thought about that earlier...
Thanks.
Right, actually this is not zip but renamed rar. It was zip some time ago, but zip doesn't compress so good as rar. After adding MIDI to Tab AI my files got swollen...
And fat files can't be uploaded here.
So I tried to rename rar and was able to open it by Total Commander and 7zip... So I thought it won't be a problem for anyone. Sorry for inconvenience. Seems like it's time to split 32 and 64 bits apart...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #174
EvilDragon

Nah, you should just rename back to RAR and all will be good.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #175
araud

Default rar->zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Nah, you should just rename back to RAR and all will be good.
Not so simple. It will take creation of new upload. I wanted to avoid it. But anyway, seems it's the time to split 32 and 64 bit versions. So I'll change it on next drop.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #176
EvilDragon

You have to let the people know it's RAR and not ZIP. Renaming doesn't make sense anyways... It's RAR, why hide it.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #177
araud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You have to let the people know it's RAR and not ZIP. Renaming doesn't make sense anyways... It's RAR, why hide it.
It takes updating all links everywhere archive is pointed from. Will do that on next drop.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #178
araud

Default keyswitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
AWESOME.
ill try it this weekend >.<
Hey! How was that?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #179
Breeder

I find it kinda hard to select keyswitches since we have to click on the line and not the name.

btw, do you plan to make it so that keyswitches can be changed per item?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #180
araud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
I find it kinda hard to select keyswitches since we have to click on the line and not the name.

btw, do you plan to make it so that keyswitches can be changed per item?
Sorry, didn't get what you're talking about in both cases.
Could you please give more details?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #181
Breeder

I was wrong about keyswitches remembered per item. It is working as expected. Sorry about that. Btw, I hope you include a way to import and export keyswitches.

The other thing:
[IMG]http://img33.**************/img33/3874/unledrhh.png[/IMG]

To select that keyswitch you have to click on the black line or a few pixels below it! If you click on the name slide it won`t get selected. Doesn`t feel natural here

Btw, will you implement program changes and other CC as you did with keyswitches? Both keyswitches, program changes and other CC could be called Articulations. Here is a rough mock up:

[IMG]http://img854.**************/img854/12/unledmie.png[/IMG]
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #182
araud

Default articulations

Breeder, thanks for great explanations! I really appreciate it.

Quote:
I hope you include a way to import and export keyswitches.
Right, we need a way to copy and paste instrument settings. Will implement.

Quote:
The other thing:
[IMG]http://img33.**************/img33/3874/unledrhh.png[/IMG]

To select that keyswitch you have to click on the black line or a few pixels below it! If you click on the name slide it won`t get selected. Doesn`t feel natural here
Right, will fix that.

Quote:
Btw, will you implement program changes and other CC as you did with keyswitches? Both keyswitches, program changes and other CC could be called Articulations. Here is a rough mock up:

[IMG]http://img854.**************/img854/12/unledmie.png[/IMG]
Thanks. I will think about it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #183
Seventh

Kabump. I wonder if there'll be a mac version in the near future?
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #184
araud

Default Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Kabump. I wonder if there'll be a mac version in the near future?
Not in near future. I overviewed the work and it seems it takes a lot. And in the same time none supports the project, so I loose my interest.
I will try to change something about payment and will see if project is really demanded.
If it is, I will surely support Mac and score editor and bunch of other cool features.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #185
preachers

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! how could i miss this!

i'll keep a watchful eye on this wonderful stuff and will give my own opinion later.

thanks for your great work!
preachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #186
preachers

after short use of TabEditor, i have some basic view about it.

it seems like it's a extension of piano roll, it's more intuitive than reaper's built-in editor for guitar players. but for me, it's best to have a tablature view like GP dose, i myself always like to compose with it.

so how about to add a Tablature view as a function?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #187
araud

Default revival

Hi everyone! I think I start to revive this project. It was a long time without any changes. But just recently I got a bug request, so it seems there is (hopefully) a couple of people who needs it.
With respect, Alex.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #188
araud

Default score length notation vs visual length

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachers View Post
after short use of TabEditor, i have some basic view about it.

it seems like it's a extension of piano roll, it's more intuitive than reaper's built-in editor for guitar players. but for me, it's best to have a tablature view like GP dose, i myself always like to compose with it.
so how about to add a Tablature view as a function?
Well, please try this way of edition and may be after some time you'll hate the way GP does it
Philosophy is next: in GP you still need to operate with note length in score notation. Note height is not in score style but length is in score style: not normalized, right?
So for non-experts in scores it's very hard to select right note length, well if it's something beyond all eighths in 4/4.
In Reaper TabEditor case you don't care about both aspects of score notation: you use normal string/fret notation for height and visual length for length. That's it!
Nothing like notes with dots or triples et cetera.
While in the same time you can set your grid to produce initial length you need.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #189
preachers

Quote:
Well, please try this way of edition and may be after some time you'll hate the way GP does it
Philosophy is next: in GP you still need to operate with note length in score notation. Note height is not in score style but length is in score style: not normalized, right?
So for non-experts in scores it's very hard to select right note length, well if it's something beyond all eighths in 4/4.
In Reaper TabEditor case you don't care about both aspects of score notation: you use normal string/fret notation for height and visual length for length. That's it!
Nothing like notes with dots or triples et cetera.
While in the same time you can set your grid to produce initial length you need.
ok, I finally found the key that we have the different usage of this kind of stuff.

I'll tell you why. it because of different habit between two generations. you may notice that those old musicians usually like to work with score things, but nowadays, in so-called digital ages, people are more likely to use non-score environment(ie. piano roll style editor)to work with.

In my case, i was start to study music when i was 4 years old, that makes me the same habit with those old musicians, beside that, i was in a music college and score is the only standard in there. i don't have many friends who knows MIDI tech well.

This might be not very often that i'm the only composer of my band, i need to arrange all the instruments part of a song, and finally send them those scores of them own part print in paper to let them learn the song, and then we could have a rehearsal. usually, i print those guitars and basses tabs by using GP, and drums\piano or something else by using Sibelius or Finale. technical used in each instrument need to be obviously marked in score.

in the past long period, i was searching for a whole workflow solution from the very beginning of edit MIDI note to the final stage of mixing the whole song, but there is no such a thing that completely fit my need. i'm intent to use a notebook that installed a GP as a MIDI editor, and use a hardware MIDI interface to send the MIDI signal to my Reaper installed on my main PC.that's extremely complicated.

if it just in MIDI edit aspect, TabEditor is absolutely more convenience than GP.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #190
araud

Default new generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachers View Post
ok, I finally found the key that we have the different usage of this kind of stuff.
if it just in MIDI edit aspect, TabEditor is absolutely more convenience than GP.
Thank you! To tell the truth TabEditor is more intended for music production - when you record an instrument you can't record alive - violin, fretless bass, etc.

For printing scores GP is more compact, because length of note is expressed by tail, not by visual length.

I also almost single song writer in my band, but my guys are from "new generation" and they don't prefer printed versions, because in printed GP version you have to know how to read lengths by tails
They prefer to hear lengths while playing MIDI.

So from this point of view it doesn't really matter how compact it is: they in any case use computer for learning. On rehearsal they have everything in head and can concentrate on quality of performance.

So yes, TabEditor is not good in printing. And I even didn't think about this usage model
Thanks for showing it to me from this perspective!

BTW there is interesting feature that I didn't see anywhere else: ability to take notes of piano and automatically rearrange it to string instrument. This intended for those who like to amaze people by playing non guitar compositions on guitar.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #191
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I thought when getting older, people buy Fenders and Gibsons
Nope Jackson here, and I'm OLD!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #192
Jeffos
Mortal

Bump! This was a great extension plugin!

Just posting here to let motivated developers know that araud knidly shared the source code of the TabEditor extension with us (SWS and I).
Unfortunately, it is not yet integrated it in the SWS/S&M Extension because of a few libs depencies and OSX support todo (and, ok.. a lack of interest in scores may be).
Well, it's sleeping in a drawer...
=> It is for tabs, it requires some work^2, but araud also shows how to implement a score extension here, the same code could be used for inline edition or as an Editor window.
=> PM if you are interested!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #193
TonE

Just saw this project, looks interesting, I have to test this. Thanks a lot.

Maybe you like this also, as it is also guitar related, only as a polyphonic step sequencer.
http://www.cythar.sequenzer.org/en/
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #194
darrel_jw

Default TabEdit under build 4.402

When I right-click in a track and click "Open" it says I need a plug-in for the inline tab editor. I copied reaper_tab_editor.dll into the plugins folder. When attempting to edit a midi file I get the default midi editor and not TabEdit.

Help!
darrel_jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #195
Studiostriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrel_jw View Post
When I right-click in a track and click "Open" it says I need a plug-in for the inline tab editor. I copied reaper_tab_editor.dll into the plugins folder. When attempting to edit a midi file I get the default midi editor and not TabEdit.

Help!
Same happened to me.By the way are there any plans ina future to upgrade look like a real guitar frets and 7 string suport with articulations in style ala guitar pro?

I think more people will buy this extension (you do not have to do it for free)if you make it looks more pro and of course to work good.

I first will be in line for sure.

Last edited by Studiostriver; 07-18-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Studiostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #196
eviluess

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Please read details on WikiPage: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/TabEditor
Download: https://stash.reaper.fm/8457/reaper_tab_editor.zip
BugTracker: https://www.bughost.com Please sign-in under {login: TabEditor @ mail.com, password: TabEditor} and report bugs

With respect, Alexander Raud.
Cool!

Thanks to your work!

Could you develop a spectrum extension, to display the track in spectrum mode?
eviluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #197
X-Raym

Hi guys,
If you use TabEditor, I think you may be interested by my new script ReaTab Hero.

ReaTab Hero: Side-Scrolling Tab Viewer Script for MIDI Items in REAPER

See you on the thread if you are interested
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:41 AM   #198
G-Sun

Tried TabEditor on instrument track.
Got view, but didn't understand adjusting handposition, and didn't get any sound..

Didn't find the js. So, copyed it as new.
Got sound

Last edited by G-Sun; 06-03-2018 at 03:46 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #199
EnteralBusterBlade

Default Notes getting extended when converting

Install was fine but when I went to convert the first midi track to tab, the notes were extended by about 3 beats and threw off the whole guitar track.
EnteralBusterBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #200
Kaleb

Default a couple of problems

#1 when switching between the built-in midi editor and the tabs it very often wants to remap the midi to the tab and it's never the same. When I make the tab I don't want it to change.

#2 using "loop item source" and then switching back it deletes all the notes created in the looping. This alone means I won't be using it.
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote