Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
JoePo
Human being with feelings

Default Keyboard synth voices problem

Hi, I am new to DAW's and reaper. I have learnt a lot in the short time that I have been watching tutorials on youtube. However, I cannot find the answer to my current problem.

I have connected an external keyboard synth (Yamaha PSR-E363) and have managed to get the voice from the keyboard (no use of VSTi) to play and paint into MIDI editor the same as is set-up on the keyboard. I have managed to change program on the keyboard and the voice changed over on the MIDI editor also (piano roll). Then (for whatever reason??!!) the voices do not appear to match the keyboard and are constantly playing piano sound. It must have been a fluke before!! But at least I know it can work - but I have tried again, but in vein.

Is there anybody out there who has had similar problems, or just knows better than me, that would be able to advise a possible solution.

Thanks in advance, Joepo.
JoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
slipstick

Are you talking about when you are playing back something you have recorded or when you are actually doing the recording?

How exactly do you have the keyboard connected to the PC?

The keyboard's MIDI output does not carry any sound, only data. So normally you need it set up in Reaper to send the MIDI back to the keyboard so that it can make the sounds. The keyboard may also need to be set up to accept MIDI input. I can't remember exactly how that's done because I haven't used a Yamaha PSR in ages.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #3
JoePo

Default Keyboard voices problem

Hi Steve,

The set-up seems OK - as described by Kenny in the reaper tutorials. Midi USB sent to PC, then routed back to keyboard channel 1. The Audio is taken from a jack to an audio interface (same one I use for Guitar), and fed back to PC.

The audio track was set to 'monitor input only' and audio (selected voice from keyboard) can be heard and recorded through the audio channel.

When double clicking on recorded MIDI the piano roll appears with the recorded notes. If I click on the piano roll at the side it will sound like a piano instead of the strings or violin that is selected on keyboard.

Like I said on origial post, I have had it working properly before (got lucky I think), but I'd like to know what I did, so that I can set it up like this by design - rather than luck.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #4
slipstick

That does seem to make some sense. If you just click in the piano roll when you have not played the MIDI then it will not have sent a PC (Program or Patch Change) MIDI message to the keyboard. So the keyboard will play the note in its default or selected voice and the default is nearly always Grand Piano.

Maybe you either need to play the MIDI through once or just select the voice you need at the keyboard before you start clicking notes.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
DarkStar

^^^
Yep, that sounds like what's happening.

You can also add a Program Change event to the start of your MIDI clip so that it is sent to the Yamaha and selects the program (voice) there.

You can also create a .ReaBank file defining all the voices in your keyboard. Using that will make it easier to edit the Program Change events into your MIDI clips.

Have a look at: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=111945 (post #3)

And here's an example, using a plug-in rather than external hardware: Automating Plugin Presets
Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
JoePo

Default Keyboard voices problem

Thanks for the help guys, that seems to have sorted the issues. Every day is a school day for me. Much appreciated.

Joe