Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #1
Uoppi
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper often inexplicably fails loading plugins from reaper-vstplugins64.ini

This started happening a few months ago following a Reaper (Win x64) update. Or maybe it could have something to do with Windows 10 Creator's Update, can't say (it was before the Creator's Fall Update, in any case). This never happened before for many years, as far as I recall. (Reaper checks for updates at program start and I always keep the software up-to-date.)

1. Very often when re-scanning the plugins to reaper-vstplugins64.ini, I run into errors about .dll's not being found or some required part missing etc. Usually it's some VST2 plugin, occasionally Waveshell VST3 won't get scanned successfully.

2. For example, I spent literally hours to get Reaper to recognize Izotope's DDLY VST(2) plugin (VST3 was always found properly). Uninstalling and re-installing the plugin did nothing, re-scanning in Reaper always failed.

Finally, looking at the error message, I concluded that the components iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll and iZDDLY.dll might be in the "wrong" order inside reaper-vstplugins64.ini. So, I manually edited the .dll's to appear the other way around in the .ini, and lo and behold, Reaper now could import them!

Reaper should obviously not be reporting a component is missing when it in fact is right there inside the reaper-vstplugins64.ini after the supposedly failed scan. Shouldn't Reaper wait until the whole plugins folder is scanned before concluding some required component is missing?

3. The most perplexing part: when, after a lot of frustration and manual editing, I managed to get the cache re-scanned without any errors, I (wisely) made a backup of reaper-vstplugins64.ini. Sometimes now when loading a project, some previously working plugin simply won't load. The plugin is shown in the track's FX bay but it's in an unsable state.

So,
a) I close Reaper,
b) replace reaper-vstplugins64.ini with my backup version,
c) after restarting Reaper, all plugins always load ok in the same project that had just failed.

How can that be when the contents of both reaper-vstplugins64.ini files (the replaced one and the backup) are completely identical, line for line?

Last edited by Uoppi; 12-06-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Uoppi

I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

For example, a line that should read:

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #3
mlprod

I can 100% confirm this exact behaviour as I wrote in another thread. Its not new for 5.70 though, at least not for me.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Arnar

Yep , having problems loading plugins here as well, never happened before the update although I might have been using a few versions back before I did the update.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
mlprod

For me reaper hangs when this happens. Force quit, restart reaper which then continues the scan, but with the plugin "causing" the hang not being complete in the ini-file and thus not being found inside reaper.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Dezb1

Deleted

Last edited by Dezb1; 12-16-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Dezb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #7
jaimun

Please address this issue.
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
ivansc

Uoppi - looks like you may have found at least a part of what is going wrong. Next thing to establish I guess is WHY Reaper is mis-reading the information.

What is still mystifying me is how come just a few of you appear to be having this problem whereas others (myself included) with the identical plugins never have a problem like this.

A while back I had a problem briefly with an Izotope plugin but the solution turned out to hinge on Izotope fixing a glitch in their code, which fixed everything nicely and so far permanently.
One thought: You ARE keeping all your used plugins up-to-date regularly? Especially Waves. Since Waves Central I have had no problems with them but prior to that I regularly had with their eccentric waveshell system. Mostly due to multiple old versions not being fully uninstalled by the waveshelll updater when it installed a newer version.
It would appear that this is STILL the case with waves Central, but IF you go through your machine religiously and remove every single waves file or folder from prior installations and start clean with Waves Central it does seem to fix things permanently.

Last edited by ivansc; 12-20-2017 at 10:33 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Uoppi - looks like you may have found at least a part of what is going wrong. Next thing to establish I guess is WHY Reaper is mis-reading the information.
I agree. I keep seeing these threads and expect to test on my side with a portable version, but 9 times out of 10 I don't own the plugins in question - ironically, I also really have literally zero issues with plugin scans etc. One might run procmon during a scan but reviewing the result is only a 1 in 3 chance of that log exposing the true reason.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
Uoppi

Something is definitely broken in Reaper's scanning.

1. As long as I add one and only one VST (sub)folder at a time and close and restart Reaper each time so that it automatically scans the freshly added plugins, all plugin names are correctly written into the .ini file.

2. If Reaper tries to scan several (sub)folders in one go, it fails writing the full names of dozens of plugins into the .ini file. This happens with any manufacturer and for dozens of plugins, which sometimes are scanned properly and sometimes not. Native Instruments, Softube, Izotope, FXPansion - doesn't matter. Reaper may not report any errors during the scan. It appears Reaper is struggling when it needs to scan a larger quantity of plugins from several folders.

And because someone asked: I like to keep everything in my system up-to-date.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Something is definitely broken in Reaper's scanning.

1. As long as I add one and only one VST (sub)folder at a time and close and restart Reaper each time so that it automatically scans the freshly added plugins, all plugin names are correctly written into the .ini file.

2. If Reaper tries to scan several (sub)folders in one go, it fails writing the full names of dozens of plugins into the .ini file. This happens with any manufacturer and for dozens of plugins, which sometimes are scanned properly and sometimes not. Native Instruments, Softube, Izotope, FXPansion - doesn't matter. Reaper may not report any errors during the scan. It appears Reaper is struggling when it needs to scan a larger quantity of plugins from several folders.

And because someone asked: I like to keep everything in my system up-to-date.
Hmm... I'm not seeing this behavior here and my VST path goes at least two to three levels deep in some cases. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, I think there could be but I'm must not experiencing the above.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
johnss

If it happend to me i would check the Event Viewer as the first thing :-)
johnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
Uoppi

Another example. Reaper fails to read and load plugins into a project even though the plugin names are scanned correct and in full length into reaper-vstplugins64.ini and the project file:

1. Verify that plugin names appear correct in the .ini file and project file.
2. Verify that BFD3 and Neutron 2 Transient Shaper can be loaded into a fresh project.
3. Now open a project where BFD3 and Neutron 2 Transient Shaper always fail to load (the project used to load up fine an hour before and for several days previously and no crashes or anything can explain potential corruption). These plugins appear to be the ones that are scanned last for the project, i.e. they reside on the last/rightmost track(s) in mixer. The track count is in the dozens.
4. Remove the last tracks with these unloadable plugins and re-save project.
5. Upon restarting, now Soundtoys PanMan fails to load. It appears this time it is the last plugin Reaper attempts to load, i.e. it's the last/rightmost track in mixer.
6. Make a fresh project and insert the whole problematic project (of step 3) as a template. The issue of step 3. happens again.
7. Repeat step 6. but before inserting the template, add a new track leftmost to the mixer with BFD3 and Neutron 2 Transient Shaper.
8. Now insert the template again. Save project and restart. Now BFD3 and Transient Shaped load up fine (apparently because they were among the first to be scanned by Reaper, being on the first/leftmost mixer track).

Somehow it appears Reaper gets progressively more messed up reading and writing plugin names the more plugin names there is to read/write (?).

Last edited by Uoppi; 12-30-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Somehow it appears Reaper gets progressively more messed up reading and writing plugin names the more plugin names there is to read/write (?).
How many? I'm scanning probably 400-500; granted I don't use them all but some napkin math says that's what it is and that's before counting x86 and not having this issue - I also have been clearing/rescanning a good bit due to new plugin purchases over the holiday and no issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #15
rforssell

Quote:
I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
This happens for me with a lot of plugins. As an example, I'm unable to load ToneDeluxe (LostIn70's).
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
How many? I'm scanning probably 400-500; granted I don't use them all but some napkin math says that's what it is and that's before counting x86 and not having this issue - I also have been clearing/rescanning a good bit due to new plugin purchases over the holiday and no issues.
My reaper-vstplugins64.ini has 370 lines/entries, excluding Reaper's own plugins. I have no 32-bit plugins.

Frankly, this has gotten to the point where I'm forced to consider switching away from Reaper. Just yesterday and today I've lost roughly 7 hours going through hoops with non-loading plugins, seemingly corrupted project files, cutting and pasting parts to new project files in an attempt to be able to actually put some work in. Up until now, I've always ultimately managed to salvage all problematic projects to a working state. But I've been shooting in the dark, trying this and that, as I don't know what the issue really is. Not feeling too confident at the moment.

I was using Reaper happily for 6-7 years with the program being super stable. Freezes were very uncommon, now they happen regularly. Never once had plugin scanning issues either, nor corrupted project files. Now it happens way too often. It started after some Reaper update in the past fall or maybe it started with Windows 10 Creator's Update, can't remember. The hardware is the same, everything kept up-to-date, no antivirus running in the background etc., i.e. optimized as it should be. Nothing else is misbehaving on my system.

Last edited by Uoppi; 12-30-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
My reaper-vstplugins64.ini has 370 lines/entries, excluding Reaper's own plugins. I have no 32-bit plugins.

Frankly, this has gotten to the point where I'm forced to consider switching away from Reaper.
My point is, there is some other unknown since so many of us do not have this issue and have large amounts of plugins etc. My reaper-vstplugins64.ini has 608 lines and am on Reaper 5.7. I've been making a number of one-off purchases of waves plugins and due to how they do their plugs, I'm forced to do a full clear/rescan for every new plugin, which means over the past few weeks I've done this quite a bit and so far zero issues - I'm also working on fairly large projects 50-100 tracks and >150 plugins and no problems I have found... so something is different somewhere. :/

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-30-2017 at 11:34 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Uoppi

Quote:
My point is, there is some other unknown since so many of us do not have this issue and have large amounts of plugins etc. My reaper-vstplugins64.ini has 608 lines and am on Reaper 5.7. I've been making a number of one-off purchases of waves plugins and due to how they do their plugs, I'm forced to do a full clear/rescan for every new plugin, which means over the past few weeks I've done this quite a bit and so far zero issues - so something is different. :/
I've made sure the reaper-vstplugins64.ini has everything properly scanned, i.e. with the full plugin names. I was able to do this by adding just one folder (or subfolder) at a time and letting Reaper scan each time during start-up. Now I just have to make sure I don't accidentally touch the clear cache button because things will get severely messed up: dozens and dozens of plugins will have truncated names, interspersed among properly scanned entries. From what I can gather, the scan success rate can vary from scan to scan.

The problem is though that despite reaper-vstplugins64.ini appearing to be OK, Reaper can't load (some) plugins into (some) projects. I haven't been able to discern any logic to when this may happen or with which projects or which plugins. I have had projects working fine for weeks and then suddenly becoming unable to load some plugins. If I remove track(s) with the unloadable plugin(s) and restart the project, some other plugins that just five minutes earlier DID load, may now not load instead.

The confusing part is that, like I wrote, Reaper worked beautifully for years on the very same hardware. Even the switch from Win 8 to Win 10 went without any hiccups. I can say things started going south right after an update, either of Reaper or Windows, about a few months ago.

Last edited by Uoppi; 12-30-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
The problem is though that despite reaper-vstplugins64.ini appearing to be OK, Reaper can't load (some) plugins into (some) projects. I haven't been able to discern any logic to when this may happen or with which projects or which plugins. I have had projects working fine for weeks and then suddenly becoming unable to load some plugins. If I remove track(s) with the unloadable plugin(s) and restart the project, some other plugins that just five minutes earlier DID load, may now not load instead.
To keep me from reading all the posts again, where are your plugins installed? Secondly, is this a standard Reaper install or a portable install and lastly, if you have a standard install where is the reaper-vstplugins64.ini located? There can be two locations, %appdata%\roaming\reaper and Program Files\Reaper where the latter is not the right one and the former is. Also, just to confirm you are not explicitly running reaper as admin are you? The only other thing I can think of is making sure that .ini is AV excluded just as a sanity check as I am sensing there is some type of failure that gets you into the behavior you are seeing and root cause may be less to do with the end result you are investigating.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
albatteur

Same problems here. Win10 64. Creator update. I'm tired with this bug. Clear cache and rescan forget some plugins. But if I open an old session with this plugs they are on their slots but not in fx browser when I search for them. Strange Behaviour. This problem started with V 5.70.
Happy new year.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #21
albatteur

Hi,
I found a solution for my setup.
In appdata/reaper I found a folder called "PreviousConfig files version" with some .ini files(Reapack,Reaper, Reaper fx folders, Reaper-vstplugins 64, Reaper fx tags, Reaper midihw, Reaper recent fx) .
I drag and drop this "Reaper-vstplugins 64.ini"into appdata/Reaper and replace the other one and everything works now.
I think, maybe I'm wrong, that this file was the good file and the new created a conflict with the old file.
Thx to Carbomusic... I had to reflect. .
And sorry for my bad english.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #22
ivansc

@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this and I am sure you didn`t do it, but when you say you have your plugin files listed in reaper-vstplugins64.ini I assume that you don`t have ALL your plugins in the Program Files/Reaper/Plugins location, do you?
That particular folder is reserved for REAPER plugins only - the native ones - and if you have put anything non-reaper native in there that could well be why you have problems.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this
Great idea...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=19

Just haven't heard back.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
Naquela

Same problem here , if i try load some vst64 in my project they dont load, the 32b load fine . in a blank project the load fine the 64 and 32.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #25
ivansc

Same initial advice we gave here. Check what order your 32bit and 64bit folders are listed in the Reaper plugin scan list under Options/Preferences/Plugins/VST

If you put all the (x86) - 32bit - references first, Reaper will scan the 64bit stuff last and it should appear in your VST listing when you go to add a plug.

If you already have that done correctly and also aren't putting your third party plugins in the Reaper/Plugins directory, we will have to think again.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
Naquela

thanks for the help.
so i delete all the paths of reaper vst , and restart reaper clear cache and rescan ,
than i install the v5.7 pre9 .than put the paths in the rigth order and restart reaper , i run reaper and it stars detecting the vst.
i open a blank project all ok , and voila they work all fine in my project .
Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #27
ivansc

No problem - glad it worked out for you.
Forgot to say "Welcome to the forums" as well.

If you didn't already, its worth downloading the free user guide and watching some of the excellent free Video Tutorials here: reaper.fm
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #28
Archimedes

I use 2 machines.

Machine 1 - Win 8.1 Pro 64 with Reaper 5.70/64 - this is my DAW
Machine 2 - Win 10 Pro 64 with Reaper 5.70/64 - Scopes and instrumentation

I use ReaStream to stream audio to the second machine which is only deployed for hosting scopes.

ON MACHINE 1,

there are no issues scanning, finding, and availing Waves plugins. I only use 64-bit plugins on this machine.

In C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER, there are 2 files relevant to this thread.

reaper-vstplugins64.ini
reaper-vstshells64.ini

With respect to the 64-bit WaveShell, the first file contains the lines:

WaveShell_VST_9.91_x64.dll=8082DF460FE9D201,0,<SHE LL>
WaveShell_VST3_9.91_x64.vst3=80AF10480FE9D201,0,<S HELL>

each followed by a list of all Waves plugins associated with those shells.

In the "reaper-vstshells64.ini" file, there is a tag for each of the shell .dll files, followed by the ID for each of the plugins. For example,

[WaveShell_VST_9.91_x64.dll]
pl0=1112755277
pl1=1112755283
pl2=1112757837
pl3=1112757843
count=214
[WaveShell_VST3_9.91_x64.vst3]
count=214
pl0=851785231
pl1=530019617
pl2=1813047961

ON MACHINE 2 (Win10 Pro 64, Reaper 5.70/64)

Reaper only creates,

reaper-vstplugins64.ini

and FAILS to create

reaper-vstshells64.ini

The entries for the WavesShell in "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" is TRUNCATED, as follows:

WaveShell_VST_9.91_x64.dll=8082DF460FE9D201
WaveShell_VST3_9.91_x64.vst3=80AF10480FE9D201

None of the plugins are listed as they are on Machine 1.

Machine 2 will NOT see any Waves 64-bit plugin installed and licensed on that machine.

YES, I
(1) Rescan
(2) Clear cache/rescan
(3) Change order
(4) Reduce the path to just the DEFAULT Waves 64-bit plugin folder
(5) Clean any cached pages by warm and cold rebooting
(6) Manually completing the lines that were truncated using Notepad
(7) Verifying "Do not scan VST..." is unchecked
(8) Verifying the WAVES installation and licensing is correct...
(9) ALL Waves 32-bit plugins are seen, and usable - even though their entries appear in the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" file (which a reasonable person would expect to contain only 64-bit plugins!)
(10) Get really pissed off that I'm F&&&&g with configuration instead of
focusing on my projects...

ALL have occurred!

Everything on Machine 2 is installed in their default locations.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #29
YvesK

Same kind of problems here, but it definitely started litterally right after WIN 10's 'Creators Update' several weeks ago. After countless fruitless attempts of getting things to work, I updated Reaper v 5.23 (in use at that time) to the most recent v 5.70, which didn't bring any change at all, so 'Creator' clearly was the culprit in this case, and not Reaper.

What happened was this: when running Reaper 64-bit (which I normally use), a whole bunch of plugins - all or most of which I suspect were 32-bits - had disappeared from the FX-browser when trying to add an FX to a track. Opening a project that contains 32-bit plugins, however, does load and playback correctly with the 32-bit plugins on their tracks. I can even copy a 32-bit plugin to a new track, and even to a track in a newly created project, although after that the plugin doesn't always work or Reaper may crash.
Launching Reaper 32-bit will show all 32-bit plugins in the FX-browser as before, but again, actually inserting them on a track will not guarantee correct functioning.

An idea for a workaround failed miserably: launch Reaper 32-bit, create a bunch of track templates, each filled with a category of 32-bit FX (Reverbs, Compressors, Vst-i's, ...) and use these as an alternative FX-browser to copy & paste from into new project tracks. Creating the track templates went just fine, although it took me ages to finish! But launching Reaper 64-bit, copy & paste a 32-bit plugin from the track templates ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEES to crash Reaper. I spent a complete night relaunching 20-second long Reaper sessions trying various tricks and scenario's, but all to no avail.

I will be tied up with other things for at least a week or so, but will certainly try the tips suggested in this thread afterwards. Speaking of which, Dear Uoppi:

Quote:

(...)

is truncated to simply

(...)

[/b]
could you explain how or where one can find out what exatcly the correct entry for a particular plugin in this file should be ?

Thx plenty, guys, for all suggestions above, and any more to follow,
Yves.
YvesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #30
Naquela

Glad to be here ivansc

i notice in my windows 10 (portuguese version) after some update the name of C:\Arquivos de programas\ , get a new name c:\program files , and the c:\arquivos de programas86 dont change . Maybe windows and reaper get crazy with this change .

YvesK try this just for testing, install a problematic vst in a new directory like c:\Testvst and try if it crashs
Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #31
ivansc

Ya got me - I can do french german & spanish but portugese? Sorry.... At a guess I should say this is either a weirdness in the localisation files for portuguese or a windows glitch.
You might try posting what is happening in the bug forum if nobody posts any suggestions, just in case this is a common occurrence.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #32
rforssell

The thing that solved my issues was to uninstall Reaper, then delete the AppData\Reaper folder and then reinstall Reaper. After adding the paths, the plugs turned up again.
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
Archimedes

FYI -

Yesterday, I installed Ableton and Reason on that same Windows 10 machine.

Neither was able to load the Waves WLM or PAZ plugins.

So I wrote to Waves. They insist it's a problem on my end. I insist it's a problem on their end.

Impasse.

So I uninstalled everything, restored that machine to a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 configuration, reinstalled Reaper and the WAVES stuff - and guess what - NO PROBLEM with the 64-bit plugins.

Not willing to waste any more time dickin around - time to get back to my project.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #34
YvesK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
(...)

YvesK try this just for testing, install a problematic vst in a new directory like c:\Testvst and try if it crashs
Hi there Naquela,

Following your advice I put 2 of my mostly missed 32-bit plugins ('Epicverb' and 'Azurite') in a test folder, launched Reaper 64, added the new folder to the list of VST-paths, started a "Clear cache & Rescan", and lo and behold: not only did both appear again in the FX-browser, but as good as all other missing plugins too (and heaven knows how many times I performed this clear&rescan already)! The ones I tried to load into a track did just do that; 'Phase Bug' which before invariably crashed Reaper 32-bit, now works flawlessly again in Reaper 64 (as mentioned before, won't have time to test the remaining ones until after quite some time).

As luck would have it, the handful of plugins that didn't resurface are all ones that I can live without. I mean, for someone my age it's immense fun to replay some Beatles and Moody Blues songs, but other than that the use of a Mellotron can be categorised as pretty restricted these days.

So it seems that all of you delving into IT courses to keep Win 10 running were totally wrong: it's Black Magic that is needed there! Thanks Naquela for pointing this out to us!

And above all Naquela, thanks so much for your practical tip. I'm sure you saved my sanity!
YvesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #35
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this and I am sure you didn`t do it, but when you say you have your plugin files listed in reaper-vstplugins64.ini I assume that you don`t have ALL your plugins in the Program Files/Reaper/Plugins location, do you?
That particular folder is reserved for REAPER plugins only - the native ones - and if you have put anything non-reaper native in there that could well be why you have problems.
No, I have only the default Reaper plugins in there.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #36
Uoppi

Along with the incomplete VST scanning issue (which, as said, can be circumvented by not trying to scan everything at once), the issue with VSTs failing to load has something to do with project files being corrupted or more accurately, how loading up (big) projects makes Reaper go berserk. Inside the project files, the VST names are displayed properly, for example.

1. When I start Reaper (new project) and try loading a plugin, it appears none will fail as long as the plugin is properly scanned (with their full name) into the .ini file.
2. Then, as I start a problematic project (which, it appears, can be any saved project at any time), the same plugin that just loaded in step 1, may now not load and can even crash Reaper. I've had Reaper runtime errors and Reaper reporting that some component of a plugin is missing, or just plain freezing.
3. Now, if I close the project and try loading the plugin that worked in step 1 but failed in step 2, the plugin may/will fail loading. In other words: even with the project closed, Reaper continues to operate in a non-working state.
4. Then if I restart Reaper (new project, as in step 1), the plugin loads fine again.

As a workaround I've tried creating new projects and importing the old project there as a template, which many times presents problems too but somehow I've managed to rearrange and restore projects into a working state eventually. But I can never be sure when they will fail again. Lots of cut and paste, headache and hours of lost production time.

I've clean reinstalled Reaper and all Izotope plugins (which seem to present problems the most, though not Izotope exclusively - it can pretty much be any vendor). I've checked the integrity of my Windows installation, checked hardware (Prime95, memtest, SSD tests) etc. Nothing causes problems besides Reaper. And like I said, Reaper used to work fine for I guess 7 years (which is why I'm willing to stick with Reaper and try to get it to work), nothing has changed hardware-wise that could explain this.

Quote:
To keep me from reading all the posts again, where are your plugins installed?
Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and Program Files\VSTPlugins. These are also the locations I've set Reaper to scan. No 32-bit plugins.

Quote:
Secondly, is this a standard Reaper install or a portable install
Standard.

Quote:
and lastly, if you have a standard install where is the reaper-vstplugins64.ini located? There can be two locations, %appdata%\roaming\reaper and Program Files\Reaper where the latter is not the right one and the former is.
It's in the Roaming folder.

Quote:
Also, just to confirm you are not explicitly running reaper as admin are you?
The behavior is the same, running as admin or not.

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is making sure that .ini is AV excluded just as a sanity check as I am sensing there is some type of failure that gets you into the behavior you are seeing and root cause may be less to do with the end result you are investigating.
Comodo Antivirus is killed as Reper launches, along with deletion of its Task Scheduler tasks to ensure no Comodo process can suddenly launch in the background.

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and Program Files\VSTPlugins.

As a test, if you haven't already, I think you should install a portable version say C:\Reaper for example, run that, click autodetect in VST prefs then clear/rescan and see if they show up properly and continue to show up.

This may be helpful as a troubleshooting step and if it works, you'll have a working version you can use while this gets sorted out.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #38
Uoppi

Quote:
As a test, if you haven't already, I think you should install a portable version say C:\Reaper for example, run that, click autodetect in VST prefs then clear/rescan and see if they show up properly and continue to show up.

This may be helpful as a troubleshooting step and if it works, you'll have a working version you can use while this gets sorted out.
They do show up properly once they're properly scanned into the .ini file and I load them in a fresh project.

I have no idea why the saved projects are getting corrupted (or why they mess up Reaper). And why even after closing an apparently corrupted project, the plugin that failed to load will not load anymore even in a new project - but as soon as Reaper is restarted, it will load. So it's not just the project files themselves being corrupt but Reaper on the whole "getting messed up" when projects have been loaded, and it continues even after the project is closed, until a Reaper restart. The frustrating part is that the problems seem so random and hard to pinpoint.

I will try the portable installation soon-ish when I have the time.

EDIT: Just now, Reaper crashed on a project launch, saying a file a plugin needs cannot be found etc. Restarted Reaper into a new project and... plugin loaded alright, as expected. Time to do some rescanning and other random voodoo stuff and hope for the best. :/

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-10-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #39
Naquela

nice it works YvesK

ivansc portuguese is like spanish , i think the problem is on windows update .

Uoppi , i think your windows is crazy with so many changes in paths and configs so reaper gets crazy too.
Do you try rename the files vstplugins64.ini to vstplugins64.iii and the other ini files , so reaper create again the files ?
the vsts with no instalation (just copy the dll) work fine vs the instalation vst (that create more info and install in others paths) .

the strange for me , it was a blank project all vst works fine , in my project they dont work. so i think reaper project file gets the name and info of the vst in the time of the creation of the project , if the windows change the info , reaper gets crazy.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #40
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
nice it works YvesK

ivansc portuguese is like spanish .
NOT if you are English and struggle with Spanish anyway ;D