Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Schlyder
Human being with feelings

Default .Zoom R24 => Reaper.. Issue with input/outputs in ASIO setup

OK first off, I am a noob with Reaper. Also fairly new with the R24.

Here is my issue(s)... I have a MIDI Error window that pops up saying.

The following MIDI inputs could not be opened.
Zoom R16 audio interface
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened.
Zoom R16 audio interface

I am running a PC, Windows 7 - 64 bit ... and Reaper - 64 bit

This occurs when I Start up Reaper. It also occurs when I use Record, or Play.... The window pops up. click OK... window closes... recording or playback then begins.

I have all the current drivers installed for the Zoom R24. I have all the current ASIO drivers.

I can't get the inputs and outputs routed with ASIO selected as Audio System and have the ASIO4all driver selected. It says "Not connected" in the output range. And in the ASIO config, it shows a red X beside the outputs for the ZOOM R24.

I seem to be able to record a signal, but cannot get any playback. And I also get the MIDI error window popping up.

I do get a signal from my bass and keyboard, and I can record and playback, BUT... ONLY when I am using WASAPI selected as the Audio System. The pop up occurs when I am using transport controls. (Record and Play)

Please, can someone help me get this routing issue fixed and the Error window to stop popping up, so I can get to learning how to use Reaper.

Thanks.
Schlyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Pickasso

How about if you use the zoom drivers?
Same problem?
Pickasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Schlyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickasso View Post
How about if you use the zoom drivers?
Same problem?
Yup, same issue. Only have working outputs with WASAPI. And I get that stupid MIDI error window popping up no matter what I use.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
danfuerth

I read up on that interface it does not have ASIO drivers.
It has only 2 outputs over USB so in Reaper only 2 inputs are available
It records to SDHC cards ( slot on it) and you use the usb cable to also transfer it over

These smaller Mixer interfaces do not have multitracking over USB, you have to get the more expensive ones in order to get all your inputs to headout via USB into your Daw

Sorry no ASIO drivers with that Interface it's windows plug an play only

If you are using that interface in Reaper as control interface then the midi ports in preferences/midi must be checked and make sure "input control" is not on.

Last edited by danfuerth; 02-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Schlyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
It records to SDHC cards ( slot on it) and you use the usb cable to also transfer it over

These smaller Mixer interfaces do not have multitracking over USB, you have to get the more expensive ones in order to get all your inputs to headout via USB into your Daw

If you are using that interface in Reaper as control interface then the midi ports in preferences/midi must be checked and make sure "input control" is not on.
OK.. I disabled both the MIDI inputs, and MIDI outputs, and that stopped the error window coming up.
I have signal inputs working, and outputs working too. And I am still able to run transport controls on the ZoomR24.
That seems to have solved the issue at hand. I thank you profusely
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Schlyder

No, it's 8 inputs, 2 outputs.

I am testing with 3 tracks right now.... I have track 1 set up as a mono signal, input from track/channel 1 (Bass) from the Zoom R24.
...and I have tracks 2 and 3 set up for stereo, with inputs from tracks/channels 3 and 4 (keyboard w/stereo outs) from the Zoom R24.

Everything is working... input on 3 tracks is there.... And I just recorded three tracks simultaniously... and all 3 tracks are playing back.
So everything seems good now.

Thanks again, DanFuerth

Last edited by Schlyder; 02-19-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
tls11823

In case anybody checks out this thread in the future, I wanted to set the record straight on a few things.
Quote:
Not true. The device does indeed provide an ASIO driver. I'm looking at it in Reaper right now and see it displayed as ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO Driver.
Quote:
I've used mine many times to record eight simultaneous tracks over USB.
Quote:
You can use it in standalone mode and record to the SD card, but you can also use it in audio interface mode as an 8-in/2-out interface.
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "smaller". Physically, it's about 18x10". If you mean that it functions poorly, I've made some very nice recordings with it, and have gotten low latency across eight simultaneous channels through USB. If you mean that it's inexpensive and delivers plenty of bang for the buck, then yes - I guess it's "small".
Quote:
As stated above, it does indeed come with its own ASIO driver, and of course you can use use ASIO4ALL if you want. It doesn't work as plug-and-play - you do need to have the ASIO driver installed for it to work.
Quote:
OK, this one you got right! And that give the poster the information he/she needed, so I guess that's all that matters.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
danfuerth

Strange I was looking at the product page and it mentions nothing about recording the full 8 channels over usb ( 8 individual tracks inside reaper)

Looking around at some mixer interfaces most of the cheaper ones just output the stereo mix over usb an not individual channelst. This is quite common with cheaper mixers that have usb.

Also nothing on ASIO either on the product page

LOL Oh well, at least the OP got the error out hehehe

So if that Mixer has 8 channels output over USB (each channel can be recorded separate) then for me that is a very decent mixer as I have not seen anything in that price range that outputs all it's channels over usb.

Been looking around for a 16 or 24 channel mixer, but they always output stereo over USB and not each individual channels.

I need 24 in, 24 out and USB or Firewire recording

I am saving up for a Behringer X32. That should cover my mixer needs and recording for the next couple of years.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Robomusic

From the zoom website:

The R24 can function as an audio interface, enabling direct input of sounds to a computer. Support for 24-bit/96-kHz encoding ensures high-quality sound. Eight input channels and two output channels can be used simultaneously. The internal DSP effects of the R24 can also be used when the sampling rate is 44.1 kHz. A dedicated knob lets you adjust the balance between the DAW playback sound and the direct input sound when monitoring.
Robomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
tls11823

Quote:
So if that Mixer has 8 channels output over USB (each channel can be recorded separate) then for me that is a very decent mixer as I have not seen anything in that price range that outputs all it's channels over usb.
Yes, it's a very good value, IMHO. I'm quite happy with it. When I bought it, eight tracks was four more than I needed, since I was recording one musician at a time, and I was only doing four tracks for drums. Since that time, I've joined a band (for the first time in about 30 years) and find myself wanting at least twelve tracks, maybe sixteen. Isn't that the way?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Schlyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Yes, it's a very good value, IMHO. I'm quite happy with it. When I bought it, eight tracks was four more than I needed, since I was recording one musician at a time, and I was only doing four tracks for drums. Since that time, I've joined a band (for the first time in about 30 years) and find myself wanting at least twelve tracks, maybe sixteen. Isn't that the way?
You can chain two R24 units together and get 16 channels simultaniously.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyder View Post
You can chain two R24 units together and get 16 channels simultaniously.
True, thanks for reminding me of that. I'm not sure if that works in audio interface mode, though. For some reason I have the impression that it's for standalone only, but don't quote me on that. For now I'm getting by with eight. If I get to the point that I really want more, I'll revisit that possibility as opposed to looking for an interface with more than eight.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Schlyder

Yeah, you are right. Only in standalone mode you can link two together.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #14
Alsklaftsk123

When i remove the usb cable with reaper open (not set the zoom as driver), my pc freezes. Does this happen to you? Also, i cant run the zoom as interface in reaper if i has it set as sound card in windows. It seems like its crap to use with reaper.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
DarkStar

^^^^
I'm pretty sure that you would get the same results with another host. Can you try it with another one? It sounds like driver-related issues to me.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Alsklaftsk123

No, happens only with zoom.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
DarkStar

Sorry, I meant with a DAW host, other than Reaper.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Sorry, I meant with a DAW host, other than Reaper.
Havent got any else, but im pretty sure its the zoom+reaper combo that is messed for almost everyone.