Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #121
PVinKC
Human being with feelings

Did I miss the results?! How do you know who's tracks are who's?!
Old 02-28-2021, 04:43 AM   #122
PVinKC

Very sad indeed to hear that not one person GOT what I heard in the song. I heard this song and thought "this sounds like something I might hear on the show "Outlander". The song begged to be set free with a dark sound and lots of reverb. Listen to "The Sky Boat Song" (the theme song for Outlander) or to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". Although admittedly I feel that song could have used a bit more reverb.

But everyone seemed to agree as every review said I had too much compression and too much reverb and they didn't like the movement. I think a mix needs movement. Contrary to what folks said there was no strange movement added to the whistle.

In listening back to my mix I feel that some of the criticism was spot on. But with regard to the verb I totally disagree. Since it seems that I disagree with literally everyone...it's time for me to move on. So I won't be participating going forward.

I'm outspoken and opinionated, and probably won't be missed (much, if at all). Congrats to the winners whom I thought missed the mark of capturing the spirit of the song. My apologies as it's obvious nobody else here thinks so. Paulie out!
Old 02-28-2021, 04:50 AM   #123
jansen

I've just spent an hour reading all the comments while listening to the tracks, that was great! Thanks to everyone for these and congrats to Tiny Tortoise and Grundton, great job.

It's really interesting too to read the results of each voter separately, as it shows specific tastes (and obsessions, sometimes?). I wonder how much of that is based on the kind of listening equipment, or monitor brands, etc... Difficult to know obviously. For me, switching between the monitors, the headphones, and the PC speakers made such a difference that I often had to change the mark and comments.

Anyway, wishing a nice Sunday to everyone and looking forward to the next contest!

Last edited by jansen; 02-28-2021 at 04:59 AM.
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:42 AM   #124
Djmajik

Congrats to Tiny Tortoise! Your mix was at the top of my list. Looking forward to digging into the project files of my favorites and seeing how to improve my own skill set. I really enjoyed the process and the feedback, can’t wait for next months mix.
Djmajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #125
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Very sad indeed to hear that not one person GOT what I heard in the song. I heard this song and thought "this sounds like something I might hear on the show "Outlander". The song begged to be set free with a dark sound and lots of reverb. Listen to "The Sky Boat Song" (the theme song for Outlander) or to Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". Although admittedly I feel that song could have used a bit more reverb.
I absolutely agree – I even started a mix with lots of automated echos and reverbs, until I realised that the sonic quality of the tracks, especially the drums, wouldn't get me anywhere close to what I heard in my head. I loved the whistle and remember having it ducked by the vocals in some spots, guitars were okay, vocals as well. Bass, percussion and bagpipe not so much (:. Good tune though!
Old 02-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #126
darjama

Congrats to Tiny Tortoise, this month's winner!

(Sorry for the late posting, been a busy week.)

See https://reamixed.com/results to review the comments.

I've updated the chart to get rid of the min/max vote info. In its place is info for dynamic range and track count for each mix. I'm not trying to say either is indicative of track quality, I just thought they might be interesting.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #127
Trogdor

Quote:

But everyone seemed to agree as every review said I had too much compression and too much reverb and they didn't like the movement. I think a mix needs movement. Contrary to what folks said there was no strange movement added to the whistle.

In listening back to my mix I feel that some of the criticism was spot on. But with regard to the verb I totally disagree. Since it seems that I disagree with literally everyone...it's time for me to move on. So I won't be participating going forward.

I'm outspoken and opinionated, and probably won't be missed (much, if at all). Congrats to the winners whom I thought missed the mark of capturing the spirit of the song. My apologies as it's obvious nobody else here thinks so. Paulie out!
Hi, Sorry to see you go. I listened to your mix again and looked at your project. I still stand by my comments about waaaaaaaayyyyy to much compression on the drums. I'm really surprised that you cannot hear it. I have noticed this on many of your mixes in the past.

I was (as well as others) correct on my assessment regarding the panning of the whistle back and forth. It just doesn't work. You said there was no strange movement to the whistle yet when I watch and listen to your project I can hear and see the pan go back and forth on the whistle. I agree that a mix needs movement but the pan on the whistle is not the movement. In fact the movement was built into the song with the shaker. You didn't need to add it.

Also (and this is with many others mixes surprisingly) that the sibilance issue was not corrected. Every ssss on the singer was burning my ear drums out. I'm pretty sure that the JS De-esser doesn't work. I tried it and could not get it to work. The only (and best) way to rid of it is by automation imo but it is time consuming.

The amount of reverb on your mix didn't really bother me too much. At least not enough to mention it. It was mainly the over compression, distortion, and sibilance issues for the most part that detracted from the mix to me.

It's funny that you mention yourself as outspoken and opinionated, yet when others give opinion on your mix that you don't like, then you decide to quit based on other opinions of your mix. There is no arrogance in music. Nobody is an expert on this stuff.

These are the issues of a 'contest' like this. All of us are the judges of everyone else. This is not like 'Produce Like A Pro' where you have highly experienced people judging our mixes. You do have to take the criticism with a bit of grain of salt too. There maybe many on here that have little to no experience mixing music, so who are they to be able to judge it as well? As someone mentioned above that some people in this may have less than ideal monitoring situations. Myself, I'm in a treated room using Focal near field monitors. Others maybe only using headphones or monitors with little experience in non-treated rooms with all kinds of room frequency issues. Who knows?

Personally I think the best mix by far out of all of them (not including mine) was @javiramallo and he finished 3rd. I had Tiny Tortoise tied at 2nd. I think mine was better than finishing 6th, but hey it is what it is. I will strive to be better. Looking at the comments on my mix were all over the place. Voter 1 said I had too much reverb and voter 2 said there wasn't enough.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If many people are mentioning the same thing on your mixes, then maybe that is an issue that you need to address going forward. To sit there and not agree with over 90% of the people that listen to it with the same opinions and then decide to quit because you didn't like those opinions....well, maybe you need to look into a mirror at yourself and realize where you really are at with your mixes. Maybe they just are not as good as you think they are. That is completely up to you. Remember, these are the perspective of others on your mixes. When you release other mixes into the world (not Reamix contest), these maybe the types of things that others may think about your mixes as well that are not fed back to you. I dunno.

Again, sorry to see you go, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours!

Cheers!
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #128
PVinKC

Thanks for your words.

No way that the whole of the judges could be wrong. I'm not suggesting that at all. It's obvious that my monitoring situation sucks. That is fairly ironic in and of itself. I have a pair of Kali LP-6's sitting on a fairly cheap desk and next to a wall and in a corner (the right speaker anyway) to boot!

The speakers have a setting for that. But I believe that I need to bump the high end on them as I don't hear the high end that well in the room. That could help to hear the compression better as well. I'm using Sonarworks and it was set up correctly. But it's obvious that the room and room acoustics are a big issue.

I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall in this space. I have a partially broken pair of M50's where the right ear doesn't stay against my head, so I have to hold it with my hand to get a proper fit and sound from them.

I don't like to use them much for that reason. I do have a SW profile for them as well...

Sounds like I need to retool and take some time to figure out the issues. We are moving in a few months. So I can't justify treating the room because there's really no room to do it in the room. The room is also our bedroom and the desk is right next to the bed. Directly behind the listening position there is a closet with a washer and dryer with metal scissor doors!

I might be able to drape a few blankets and get some fairly minor improvements. But the corner and the lack of wall space and just lack of space in the room make panels and bass traps impossible unfortunately.

Our plan is to move in June/July and we'll be looking for a 3br house one room of which will be my mixing room and then I'll be able to treat the room and get the speakers and mix position in a space that makes more sense.

So I know it sounded like I was throwing a fit...that wasn't the intent. It's frustration! Thanks for reading anyway!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #129
garanimals

Quote:

I enjoyed reading your posts and listening to your mix. Hopefully you continue to participate!

I agreed with most criticisms of mine. I had my bass way too loud at it caused my master compression and didn't realize it. So I got too much bass and compressed the shit out of the drums...

I know why that happened, and will hopefully not make the same mistake next time!
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #130
garanimals

Nice mix Tiny Tortois!
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #131
eq1

This was my ranking of the mixes. I basically grouped the mixes into 5 classes, giving 5 stars to the top, 1 to the bottom...

5 stars - mix 18,1
4 - 14,4
3 - 19,3,9
2 - 13,2,11,5,21,20,10
1 - 6,15,16,12,7,8

Some of this is pretty consistent with overall results, but some of it is quite different. Mix 20 for instance got 3rd place, I have it as only a 2-star mix. I'll have to re-listen to that...

Mix 3 I have as a 3 star, or in the top 7, final was 10th place. I guess that's not too different. But, as I recall, it was pretty difficult to delineate overall quality differences for the bottom 2 classes, whereas the top 3 stood out pretty clearly. The bottom mixes, 1 star, generally had fairly glaring problems, mistakes and the like, as I recall. I wasn't totally consistent, not easy ranking all these mixes...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #132
Tiny Tortoise

Thanks everyone! I've picked something a fair bit heavier for next month, so that should be an interesting contrast. Not sure if it's the kind that Javi was after, but we'll find out

For the longest time I've been working mostly on a pair of HD650, more recently with a bit of correctional EQ applied. Occasionally I'll switch to monitors (HS7) for another perspective. My room is somewhat-well-treated, but I've still never felt able to trust what I hear in the room to the degree that I want from a monitoring system.

@PVinCK
A lot of reverb can for sure work great. But it depends on the material. The Skye Boat Song gives plenty of space by way of its arrangement, which I think wasn't afforded quite so much here in Sailor. I tried to bring in a a good amount, but decided keep it modest when the drums came in, to maintain clarity. I do hope you don't leave for good. You could take a break and come back later?
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #133
eq1

^ Curious - what correctional eq do you apply to the HD650s? I use those as well...
Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #134
Tiny Tortoise

subject to potential tweaking, but right now it's set at:
Code:
Lo-Shelf   +8dB,    64Hz, Q0.9
Bell	 -2.5dB,    49Hz, Q1.4
Bell	   +4dB,  7.6kHz, Q3.0
Bell	 -3.5dB, 13.7kHz, Q4.0
Tiny Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:25 PM   #135
eq1

^Cool, thank you, I'll try it out.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #136
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSessions View Post
Hey Dex, thanks again for picking the song. I've been part of a few have fun projects over the years that have been posted online. Here are the links if you're interested in checking out the other tunes. Cheers & thanks again.

The River Sessions (singer songwriter stuff)
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5jjZ...RSGUhVkkKXXtuQ

Mr. Crowes Garden (previous band)
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1yLG...S-6AX0bgYubZaw
Great, thanks for sharing!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:56 AM   #137
Dex

Quote:
So I know it sounded like I was throwing a fit...that wasn't the intent. It's frustration! Thanks for reading anyway!
Man, I know how you feel. I thought I did a lot better this month than I ended up placing. At the same time, though, every time a pro mixer has competed in this contest they have won in a landslide, so if people aren't ranking our mixes highly then we're doing something wrong. Just gotta keep working on developing our skills.

With that said, I know my mix wasn't perfect, but I would like to ask for a re-listen if you thought it was too bright or brittle or mid-rangey. Listen to some commercial mixes and then listen to mine.

I know mine stood out eq-wise from most of the mixes this month, in what could be *perceived* as a bad way if your ear had gotten used to the overall darkness of most of the other mixes. Despite the issues with the guitars (too loud and high passed an octave too high, probably) and esses in my mix, I think my overall mix balance is much more solid than I was given credit for. Just curious if anyone agrees!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:30 AM   #138
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tortoise View Post
Thanks everyone! I've picked something a fair bit heavier for next month, so that should be an interesting contrast. Not sure if it's the kind that Javi was after, but we'll find out
for Sure yes.

Thxs and congrat again friend!

Quote:
Very sad indeed......

Pauline, stay, open your mind every month and try to feel what the other felt when listening to your mix. After that, average the comments and that's the way to go.

I mean that if 75% the comments say that your are overcompresed, It will be for something. Finally, the average is that you are overcompressing so, don´t fight, open your session, compare with the Tiny Tor session, for example, and try to understand what are you missunderstanding.
The same with the panned whistles reverbs etc...

What is the mixing process but to create a mixture that can appeal to as many people as possible? each with their rooms, their headphones, their car stereos, etc ...
This is the middle ground where the path of a "mixer guy" should go.

So Stay, this is my good wish for you.

Cheers!

Last edited by javiramallo; 03-01-2021 at 03:26 AM.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #139
PVinKC

"Pauline"?! Okay, I deserve that.

Seriously guys, thanks for the encouragement. It is easy to quit. Much harder to stay and accept criticism. I'm not a quitter, so I'll be staying, maybe swallowing a bit of pride, and trying to make use of what can only be described as good advice!

I will definitely set the hi boost on the Kali's so that I don't wind up feeling the need to boost the high end or sibilant parts. This should make it easier to hear the high end, the reverb, and the sibilance. Hopefully that will help with that. I will also try to check all my mixes in headphones as well, which didn't happen on this or my past few mixes for this contest.

I don't mind not winning at all. But it does suck to feel like your going backwards. So hopefully doing some looking at the other projects will help to show a few things.

I also loaded up a new set of tracks yesterday and tried a whole new approach to setting up my mix with regard to mix levels and gain staging.

I have my defaults set to place all new tracks at -18db and I used to always bring them up to 0db and play the song thru and use some math to make all instrument tracks peak at -12db and all vocals to peak at -9db on the track meter peak readings.

This time however I wound up taking a que from CLA. He starts with faders down (all the way to infinity). I left mine at -18db. Set up my folders and busses and zeroed the effects busses. Cranked up the interface volume so it was at a good listening level and used the buss level meter to bring up the individual instruments to a good level peaking at around -6db.

All I can say is WOW! Night and day difference. I can hear everything nicely and nothing begs for immediate EQ attention. This is a testament to the quality of the tracks of course. But it also shows me a way forward that will keep my levels at a much lower and more manageable level. Also I don't feel the need to place the JS Event Horizon Clipper/Limiter on every channel that peaks above zero to "reign things in". That's bound to affect over saturation and perceived compression, which was also pointed out.

Anyway...I think I have a plan to go forward, which is a great place to start.

I wonder if anybody would want to see a video about overcoming adversity!? lol ��
Old 03-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #140
kavacs

Quote:
I wonder if anybody would want to see a video about overcoming adversity!? lol ��
I'd really like to see one about your new approach to gain staging
kavacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #141
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavacs View Post
I'd really like to see one about your new approach to gain staging
Right on...I'll work on putting something together. It should be said, the tracks I'm mixing were recorded by Chris Lorde Alge. While they are 48K they are fantastic to begin with. Kinda brings up something said many times by Jordan Valeriote "Record and capture the tracks the right way and you're rough mix will sound better than most people's finished mixes." It's SO true!

I have yet to open the zip for the new ReaMixed contest. I was working on these as an experiment...and because I recently got my Slate All Access Pass and wanted to try out CLA's mix tutorial. I'm glad I did!

I'll be thinking about the tutorial you requested though. I'm already half way thru my last day off for the week, and I have things to do today that will take precedence. But I can definitely work something up and shoot it next Sunday/Monday!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #142
kavacs

Quote:
I'll be thinking about the tutorial you requested though. I'm already half way thru my last day off for the week, and I have things to do today that will take precedence. But I can definitely work something up and shoot it next Sunday/Monday!
You don't really need to rush it. But yeah, it would be nice and maybe some of us will learn something new Also if you used mainly stock plugins, that would be great.
kavacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #143
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavacs View Post
...Also if you used mainly stock plugins, that would be great.
LOL...I recently got my Slate All Access, and picked up some Kush plugins as well as the Softube Weiss Mastering Bundle. So I guess those would be a no then!?

Sure I'll keep it simple
Who knows, I might even learn something.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #144
StrumminSteve

congrats to Ttortoise and the top mixes. Im gonna hang in there...once again...Im gonna try to take more time this next go and hope to move up a bit. Feedback always appreciated...I knew I had some details to work on and know I have to pick it up to try to get to you big league hitters...lol. Good luck all on next run and im coming for ya...might take a lil time...but its a goal .. )
StrumminSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #145
LCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
...every time a pro mixer has competed in this contest they have won in a landslide...
Can I ask you when did a pro compete here? I didn't know it. I think it would be very interesting to look for the file and take a look at it.
Thanks.
LCM! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #146
darjama

I don't want to divulge who is a pro and who isn't (or claim to know every case or want to judge what 'pro' means), But I will say that not every 'pro' has done well in the contest.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #147
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM! View Post
Can I ask you when did a pro compete here? I didn't know it. I think it would be very interesting to look for the file and take a look at it.
Thanks.
The two instances I had in mind when I said that were:

Feb 2018: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202732

and

July 2019: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222746

The votes were closer than I remember, but both mixes were great. cool's project file is posted in the Feb thread so it's still available if you want to check it out.