Old 01-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
MartinJG
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to show active tracks only?

I use some largish templates and it can become cumbersome when scrolling up and down etc. File minimisation is not really ideal as it still takes up available screen space. Ideally, I would like to be able to chose the instruments I want and then hide the template. A toggle on and off function between active tracks/items and available instruments would be brilliant as it would then allow me to access instruments freely and keep the screen relevant. Is this possible? Thanks.
MartinJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
heda

It is totally possible
Do you have SWS extensions installed? It has for example the action "SWS: Toggle zoom to selected tracks and time selection, hide others"

There are many ways of managing large templates, from simple to advanced using scripts. It depends on how do you organize your templates.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
MartinJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
It is totally possible
Do you have SWS extensions installed? It has for example the action "SWS: Toggle zoom to selected tracks and time selection, hide others"

There are many ways of managing large templates, from simple to advanced using scripts. It depends on how do you organize your templates.
That's really helpful. I have set everything up (hopefully) and created a tool bar icon. I can see it works on the time selection, but how do I select the active items/tracks that I want on screen? Is there a way of tagging them?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJG View Post
That's really helpful. I have set everything up (hopefully) and created a tool bar icon. I can see it works on the time selection, but how do I select the active items/tracks that I want on screen? Is there a way of tagging them?
You could try to rename the tracks with some suffixes, and then use that suffix to select the tracks creating custom actions. It could work but I had the same problem and I ended up coding a script(Track Inspector) which has a tagging system and allows to tag tracks as you need manually or automatically and then do several things with the tags, like controlling the visibility, set color, muting, soloing, bypassing fx, assigning VCA slaves...
this is a quick small example:
Old 01-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
MartinJG

I found this which I believe is the solution but it seems very complicated to set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyuGgGydhY&t=14s

Jump to 11:00 for the relevant section of the video.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
heda

ahhh Sorry I didn't understand the original question. Yes it can be a bit difficult to setup but once it is working it is worth it and it is there forever So, yes, it is possible to hide tracks that are not used in a particular time, the edit cursor or in a time selection for example in Track Inspector, look here how the tracks change when changing the time selection
Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
MartinJG

Yes. It is certainly helpful and a useful workaround until I can get my head round the full track show/hide script. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJG View Post
I found this which I believe is the solution but it seems very complicated to set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyuGgGydhY&t=14s

Jump to 11:00 for the relevant section of the video.
I'm doing similar setup in first couple minutes of this video. There are some scripts but they should all be in reapack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QfW72mBxM
Old 01-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
MartinJG

Thanks. It all helps.