Old 04-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
danbb
Human being with feelings

Default Power conditioners unnecessary?

Currently have 7 devices all requiring kettle lead power and the cables are starting to do my head in. I've been looking at those Furman boxes to tidy up the mess. I've read online that some people say they are just empty boxes and sales people are taught to flog them at jacked up prices, telling you that they protect your equipment when in reality they are no different from a multi way mains extension with power surge in terms of performance.

Would one of these do the same job at a fraction of the price? (https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/hp6...bution%20block)
danbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
nocturn

depends...how long do you plan on having those devices...any fluctuation of power outside of 110? it going to put stress on the electronics and burn them out quicker. touchier things depend on having a consistent, steady voltage to function optimally, especially pro audio. if youre working with digital, your main concern should be your computers power supply, dont skimp on that, makes a world of difference. so did my first furman...not only in protecting what was my entire life savings form ever needing repairs and worring me all day, i definitely felt a sonic difference in my imaging as everything suddenly stopped having to fight itself over who gets more power and my monitors and console kinda stood there... erect? flexing. they were flexing their arm...arms. you get the picture...i paid something like 400$ for this 2rack regulator and upc, all kinds of readings an well, not empty. i have one of thier power strips in the garage for power tools, thats about all those are good for. if youre after surge protection...sand!
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Philbo King

The cheaper Furmans use a component called an MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor). For the US, with 120 VAC power (double all these numbers for countries using 240 VAC), these activate at just above the 120Vrms peak value of about 170 volts and try to dissipate (burn off as heat) any transients above that threshold in the incoming AC power. Similar to a peak limiter in a way, but more 'brute force'. If they are repeatedly subjected to excessive voltage peaks the MOVs eventually fail, but can be replaced.

It is basically the same protection you get from a power strip with transient suppression, packaged into a much more convenient rack mount box.

More expensive power conditioners use isolation transformers and filtering components, but these will be in the range of $500 and up. I guess there are not the topic of the OP.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
cyrano

They certainly aren't empty boxes. The low end ones contain basic lightning protection. Some come with some sort of insurance if they fail to protect your gear.

If your mains system is in order, you don't need one.

If it isn't, fix your mains system, or be prepared to invest a lot more in real power conditioning.

If you have some sort of interference from the mains, and you can't fix it otherwise, look at Schaffner power conditioning. Cost a fraction of the Furman boxes and are real filters, but usually not including lightning protection. Schaffner also provides everything else for power conditioning, obviously at a cost.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
hopi

also depends where you live... I'm out in the boonies and we do get a lot of fluctuation... often at night... so it can be comforting to have the furmans inline... I can watch them level out the line