Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-08-2019, 03:13 AM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default Using a Standalone VST within Reaper

It's all in the title there. Is it possible ? If so, could you give me a quick walkthrough, I've looked online already and couldn't find anything actually relevant.
Thanks.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Xenakios

What do you mean by a standalone VST? A standalone application? Those are not VSTs and can't be used inside Reaper.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:06 AM   #3
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
What do you mean by a standalone VST? A standalone application? Those are not VSTs and can't be used inside Reaper.
yeah yeah, not VST, standalone **application rather.
Not possible huh ? I thought maybe there was a workaround.
Well, I'll take your word for it. A shame !
Old 09-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #4
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
I thought maybe there was a workaround.
If you are on Windows and the stand alone application supports ASIO, you could maybe use ReaRoute to get the audio from the application into Reaper.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #5
domzy

It's totally possible, if you have the right tools
you need a virtual MIDI port (loopMIDI, copperLAN, rtpMIDI etc.)
and you need to route the audio, this will depend on your audio interface etc.
as mentioned ReaRoute could be an option, but you may be able to do it directly in your interface or through a third-party app.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
DarkStar

Which standalone program do you want to use?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Dork Lard

Oh sorry guys I'd totally given up on this thread, just checked back by chance...

Thanks for the answers ! I'm afraid I'd need a bit more guidance to get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Which standalone program do you want to use?
Kontakt Portable. Is it possible ?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
sisaso

Kontakt Portable? That is a crack, isn't it?
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
Kontakt Portable? That is a crack, isn't it?
Nope. Kontakt Stand Alone.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Yea, you can, but you probably shouldn't. It's a complicated setup that won't work down the road if you change small details of your system (such as the name of a virtual MIDI cable). Any good reason why you want to? I've done it in the past and regret it every time I try to work with an old project I did that way.

Kontakt works basically the same running as a plugin (you can even load standalone projects into it) but with the added convenience of not having to keep track of multiple project files an maintaining a complex setup.

You'd need to route the MIDI and audio from Kontakt through virtual cables. Quite a bit of setting up to do, so no quick explanation for it. I would use ReaRoute (re-run Reaper installer if you didn't choose it the first time) for audio and LoopMIDI for MIDI.

But again, I'd recommend avoiding it if possible.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea, you can, but you probably shouldn't. It's a complicated setup that won't work down the road if you change small details of your system (such as the name of a virtual MIDI cable). Any good reason why you want to? I've done it in the past and regret it every time I try to work with an old project I did that way.

Kontakt works basically the same running as a plugin (you can even load standalone projects into it) but with the added convenience of not having to keep track of multiple project files an maintaining a complex setup.

You'd need to route the MIDI and audio from Kontakt through virtual cables. Quite a bit of setting up to do, so no quick explanation for it. I would use ReaRoute (re-run Reaper installer if you didn't choose it the first time) for audio and LoopMIDI for MIDI.

But again, I'd recommend avoiding it if possible.
thanks for the reply.
To be honest my plugin-Kontakt is too old to run certain libraries, and I was looking to get the Portable which seemed more mobile CPU wise etc and could run any of the newer libraries.

Sounds like a pain in the anus I'm not willing to go through what you're describing, oh dear yes. I guess I'll just look for other solutions outside Ktkt.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
foxAsteria

Standalone Kontakt isn't going to save you much CPU over the plugin version. Reaper doesn't have much overhead with no other plugins running. Also, every version of Kontakt comes with both standalone and plugin, so if you upgrade to a new version, you're not stuck with one or the other.

Not saying you're pirating, but if you are, know that these NI cracks always break eventually and your old projects will break along with them (not worth it) and can be difficult to fix even with a legit version. If you need an upgrade, I advise waiting til the holidays, when most NI stuff tends to go 50% off.

If you don't already have Kontakt, maybe consider SampleTank, which is part of a sale rn. Not nearly as many cool freebies as there are for Kontakt, but still a worthy alternative. Or if you need something totally free, there are other Romplers like Independence and Sample Science Player, Spitfire Labs etc.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Standalone Kontakt isn't going to save you much CPU over the plugin version. Reaper doesn't have much overhead with no other plugins running. Also, every version of Kontakt comes with both standalone and plugin, so if you upgrade to a new version, you're not stuck with one or the other.

Not saying you're pirating, but if you are, know that these NI cracks always break eventually and your old projects will break along with them (not worth it) and can be difficult to fix even with a legit version. If you need an upgrade, I advise waiting til the holidays, when most NI stuff tends to go 50% off.

If you don't already have Kontakt, maybe consider SampleTank, which is part of a sale rn. Not nearly as many cool freebies as there are for Kontakt, but still a worthy alternative. Or if you need something totally free, there are other Romplers like Independence and Sample Science Player, Spitfire Labs etc.
Thanks man. I'll give SampleTank a shot, had never heard of it.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #14
ivansc

Dork Lard: The other alternative is to download the latest player version, assuming what you want to run is a full library and not just third party files.

I own the full Kontakt 5 but also have Kontakt 6 player installed for those rare things that show up that dont like 5.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
Neatlick

Default Have Miroslav Philharmonic 2 and have same problen

I have a HP Z240, Win 10, Reaper 5984_x64, M-Audion Axiom air 32 mini, PreSonusAudioBox USB 96. I don't get it workin, any tips??

Neatlick
Neatlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatlick View Post
any tips??
Idk if you read any of the thread, but I'll go ahead and give you the same advice: load the plugin version instead. You'll get all the same functionality with a lot less headaches.

Standalone versions essentially exist so you can run them without a DAW. If you want to run them inside a DAW, that's a job for a plugin.

If you have some really good reasons to route a standalone app into Reaper, the some info of what to look into is already here on the thread. Otherwise you should make your own thread and describe why you think that you need to do it that way.