Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
KenC
Human being with feelings

Default Record monitoring and recording during count in?

Is there a way to tell Reaper to let me record and hear output from a VSTi during the count-in?

Often you have a note a bit before the bar you start recording on, but by default Reaper doesn't record that, and I can't hear anything before recording kicks in after the count-in.

I'd like recording to be active during the count-in and let me hear what I play during the count-in

Also, is there any way to add negative bars before bar 1 for things like sending sysex to setup hardware before everything starts or if the song start a bit before bar 1? I could start on bar 4 or something, but that messes up the nice familiar bar numbering.

Any way to set this up? Sorry of this is obvious, I've been at it all day, but I can't seem to find any way to do it.
KenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Billoon

Unfortunately there is no way to monitor during count in, its a long standing feature request of mine.

I'm using a custom action as a workaround, youll need the SWS extention which you can find on the resources page.

You can set the project to start at eg. bar -1 in project settings(in file menu or use toolbar button).

Last edited by Billoon; 12-15-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
KenC

To bad, that's one feature I've been missing in Sonar which was my old DAW, it also does the mute instrument thing, so you can't hear what you're playing before the count-in is done.

I'll install the SWS extension and play around with that.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
hopi

I am guessing you want to hear the vsti to just get in the mood right?

so thinking maybe a workaround but it may or may not work for you:

Instead of using the metronome for the project, make a whole click track which is really just a wav file, right?

Now if you want you can make two diff ones, one that is the realy metro sound and one with 'count in sounds'... say just the one beats...

OK so you put those on a track and let them play. And you adjust your existing tracks accordingly to start where you want them.

Reaper will let you set up the time ruler with negative numbers so you can still see a ruler that starts at zero for the song but has minus bars to the left.

And.. should you want that click track to get louder or softer or just shut up at any point, you can use either the volume envelope for it, or use Action Markers [see user guide about these] to control it.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
ASG25

I like the idea mentioned above. Render the click down to a WAV file and then use that opposed to the count in feature. Only issue is that you would have to insert some space before the song starts for it to work appropriately at the beginning of the song.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG25 View Post
I like the idea mentioned above. Render the click down to a WAV file and then use that opposed to the count in feature. Only issue is that you would have to insert some space before the song starts for it to work appropriately at the beginning of the song.
right but if you read again you'll see I coverd that.. in spades
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
danfuerth

haha Hopi LOL

I beat you first LOL I have been using this method since the windows 98 days LOL

I still use the same track actually

I just recorded myself talking down numbers and 5,4,3,2,1 _
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
hopi

ok dan... you win... holy krap
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
KenC

Yeah I could record a click as audio and then just set a button on one of my controllers to mute/unmute when I need the click, I'll give that a go and see how it works out.

But.. also many times you have say an 8 bar clip you want to lay down, but there's a pickup before bar 1 where recording starts, you can't record the pickup since there's no pre-record so you have to resort to setting the loop to be 9 bars starting 1 bar before, but then the loop is uneven.

Would be a nice feature to have record during count-in.

Thanks for the suggestions btw.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
ivansc

I LOVE threads on this! I always have this mental image of studio full of musicians and the producer saying something like "We are short of time, so I want you to all start playing before the conductor counts you in, just in case we run out of time"
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
hangnef

I know this is a super old thread, but I just discovered that there was no monitoring count-in is enabled. Is there a technical reason (or other) why Reaper mutes during the count in?

My MV-8800 has it by default (at least for MIDI, haven't tried audio) and it is pretty useful.
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnef View Post
I know this is a super old thread, but I just discovered that there was no monitoring count-in is enabled.
Member Lokasenna helped me with my script (tweaked for my needs). He has one on ReaPack named, 'Enable metronome until playback reaches edit cursor' that might help.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote