Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Help. Reaper keeps selecting other tracks, can't make it stop

My Reaper keeps changing the active channel, to another channel than I want.

It constantly jumps three tracks below the one I'm currently got selected. It just will not stop, I can't even record because the track focus will jump three tracks down and continue record my keystrokes there. And I can't play my piano keyboard for the same reason. Have to change back to the formerly selected one, all the time.

I don't know what makes it do this and I could use some help in trouble solving it. It has just started happening, I don't remember it happening in Reaper before and I have not connected any new hardware to my workstation recently.

The track focus jumps three tracks down mostly when I'm playing my MIDI keyboard (and using the sustain pedal along with it). But it also jumps when I'm not playing my keyboard, when I'm not touching anything. I am not touching any other controls than my piano keyboard. I've spent a while making sure there are no stuck keys anywhere, or weights weighing down some key or whatever.

I got no macros or shortcuts designed to react off of piano keys, I've just checked all 127 of them including the sustain pedal.

It never jumps upwards, in the opposite direction like three tracks up, it's always three tracks down, no matter what plugin configuration I got loaded on it.

Further, I got this feeling that it may be connected to certain keys on the keyboard, because it mostly seems to flip tracks when I play a certain passage in the song on the keyboard. I'm not talking about 'a passage' as in 'a timeline position on the ruler'. Instead, I'm talking about having Reaper stopped and playing a chord progression passage on my piano keyboard. But it doesn't always flip when I play that passage. It's weird.

Also I don't think it's a Reaper bug, because if so then lots of people would've reacted to this already. But I am on Win10 pro r1903 x64, Reaper 5.984 x64

Could use some help in speculating how to stop this from happening.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Colox; 10-15-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
WolfJames

Desktop or laptop? First off, rule out any mouse problem. Change the USB slot it's plugged into. Wireless? Check the battery. Any other device interfering with the USB receiver? Try another mouse if you have one.

Try changing the mouse settings, like how many lines to scroll at a time. Is it a gaming mouse? Latest driver?

Do you happen to have a touch screen display?

Does the computer have Bluetooth? Turn it off and test.

Also, try a different keyboard, if you have one.

Last edited by WolfJames; 10-15-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added info
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfJames View Post
Desktop or laptop? First off, rule out any mouse problem. Change the USB slot it's plugged into. Wireless? Check the battery. Any other device interfering with the USB receiver? Try another mouse if you have one.

Try changing the mouse settings, like how many lines to scroll at a time. Is it a gaming mouse? Latest driver?

Do you happen to have a touch screen display?

Does the computer have Bluetooth? Turn it off and test.

Also, try a different keyboard, if you have one.
Thanks for helping.

The mouse huh? I've had this expensive wireless gaming mouse for some time. Never caused problems before, as far as I've noticed.

I'm on a desktop system, no touch screen, no bluetooth. I got the latest mouse driver and its own USB receiver located 5-7 inches right in front of it and the battery is at 80% good (according to own software). I changed how many lines it scrolls from 3 to 2, switched the USB port and rebooted the system.

Then tried Reaper again and it switched tracks just like before within 3 seconds. Damn. :/

I really don't want do use a different mouse, because I am literally mad picky about mice and this is by far the best I've ever used all categories.

By keyboard, do you mean piano type keyboard, or the regular keyboard with letters on it? If you meant the first, then I have none available - not today anyway.

Last edited by Colox; 10-15-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Colox

Hm hold on here. Reaper did switch tracks first thing when I started Reaper up again. But now I've played the keyboard for a few minutes, even recorded some, and ... it hasn't switched tracks again ... so far ...

EDIT: oh, but now it's picking up again. Christ. This is starting to feel like the reasons I left Cubase :P

Last edited by Colox; 10-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
cyrano

Sounds like a hardware problem. Try another keyboard and another mouse?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
serr

Think it's possible that all the thousands of other Reaper users just put up with this going on all the time for them? Probably not, right?

You either have a failing mouse. Bouncy clicks like that are the most common mouse failure. Or you have some prankster app installed on your machine that's sending mouse moves/clicks.

Unplug the stupid thing and plug in a different one and test it. Just do it!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
technogremlin

Also put your computer keyboard upside down, give it a few gentle pads and see what falls out.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
WolfJames

Yeah, you've got to switch the mouse out just test and rule it out. Then the keyboard if that doesn't work. The computer keyboard that you type on, not the piano keyboard. :-)

You said that you use a gaming mouse (I do too), is it possible Windows updated or changed the driver or settings during a Windows update?
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Colox

Well, well ... after a loooong hunt for this problem, I seem to have solved it. I thought I would fill in the answer here, so that anyone else experiencing something similar won't lose heart for too long.

As it turns out, this problem seems to have been a rather exotic combination of an old M-Audio Axiom keyboard, which were sending buggy MIDI messages (other than keystrokes) that wasn't called for, and could not be turned off. This in turn was due to the fact that there's no M-Audio made driver for Windows 10 for the 1st gen Axiom controllers. But Windows 10 still managed to install it as a general MIDI unit. So this problem went half under the radar for me. I was sure I had installed a driver, since the darn thing was working.

When I tried a different keyboard, I tried this with the mindset of determining whether my keyboard was broken or not. Trying this using a different and just slightly newer model of Axiom didn't reveal the underlying problem, since it was a very similar model of keyboard.

Installing the most recent M-Audio 64bit driver for Windows 7 SP1, and then disabling the "Enable input for control messages" in Reaper's preferences was my solution. But it wasn't until I made the connection between a buggy older version of Peavy's Revalver plugin (I like the sound of the older one better), and removed that plugin, that everything settled down and started working as it should. The Revalver had seldom been a problem in other cases, but my problem with Reaper automatically seleting different tracks did not happen unless the Revalver was loaded.

I have no idea how the connection was established between a non-existing driver, which caused the MIDI controller keyboard to manipulate Reaper into changing selections of tracks, but only when a third party guitar amp plugin was present in the project.

Hope this helps someone somewhere who may need it.
I could use a damn beer after this.

Last edited by Colox; 02-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.