Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Jake Holland
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper bundled EQ plug-ins - which ones imitate API and Neve EQ's?

My favorite EQ's to use in the analog realm are the Neve 1073/1084 and the awesome API 550a, 550b, 560 graphic.

Which EQ's built into Reaper are the best ones with Neve and API functionality and API/Neve like sound?

Thanks
Jake Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
daverich

there are some JS plugs from stillwell which are somewhat emulations (rbj1073), but...

to get closer you need to spend some money

try

www.stillwellaudio.com

for some great eqs which should fit the bill.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
shogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Holland View Post
My favorite EQ's to use in the analog realm are the Neve 1073/1084 and the awesome API 550a, 550b, 560 graphic.

Which EQ's built into Reaper are the best ones with Neve and API functionality and API/Neve like sound?

Thanks
Hi Jake,

if you use them in hardware I would like to hear from you after some listening test which ones are close to the real ones? That would be cool.

Shogger
shogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Sheppola

The more you use the installed plug-ins the more you will find they are superb.Don't try an emulate IMHO just mess around with them.
Even in the humble looking ReEQ you can add a many bands and different types of EQ to get some great results.

also checkout ReXcomp.As a multiband compressor you can also use it to EQ and compress any frequency band.

Checkout the stickies as there's soooo..... much to Reaper you may find you don't need many 3rd party VSTs.
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Jake Holland

Thanks guys!

Which bundled into Reaper eq plug-ins are people finding sound the best and most like the analog eq's we all love from Neve and API?

Also, are there any plug-in EQ's bundled with Reaper that sound as good as the best 3rd party stuff like the UAD card EQ's, URS Neve and API eq's and the Waves classic bundle eq's that emulate the SSL and API stuff?
Jake Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
griz lee

Jake,

I'm not sure which Neve EQs we all like, cos i really dislike what they did with the 88 series but loads of people absolutely love the uad emulation of that channel. The 107x series is much more my thing, with the 108x close behind. Yet, I totally don't get on with URS' emulation of that either.

The closest thing to a 1080x style EQ in Reaper is probably an unsupported plugin which you may still find on landoleet.org (which we're asked not to link to, as it's the unsupported site): try ReaNeq. It's not a Neve emulation (ie, it's probably from a similiar but different desk, clone perhaps), but has many of the things I like about the sound of the 108x therefore is quite useful.

ReaFir with 'reduce artefacts on' can sound wonderful on the top end if you draw your curve right. Draw out nice gentle curves, only with the Hi-Q option on did those old EQs get narrow.

I'm not a big fan of ReaEQ, it's nice lower down, bit i can never get the high end i'm looking for. I love the sound of the EQ plugin from flux (epure) but it's so damn expensive you could buy Reaper several times over.

For the API style sound, you'll need to do some cooking:

Go for fairly narrow Q's in ReaEQ (i'm thinking of that real punchy mid band on the 550) and after that add a little bit of harmonic distortion using something like Losers' saturate on no more than about 10%. That should be close enough for rock 'n roll, but obviously a huge gap between that and the real thing. Does that matter? I think it probably doesn't.
The only digital EQ i actually like is the one that comes with Duende. But, damn, the opertaion of that thing leaves a lot to be desired in my view.

Hope that's of use in some way. Despite recording for years in some quite ok places I've still to encounter some of those EQs (such as the API graphic - never ever used one). If i were you i'd stick to your hardware - you can patch in with 'ReaInsert'.

Good luck.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
The closest thing to a 1080x style EQ in Reaper is probably an unsupported plugin which you may still find on landoleet.org (which we're asked not to link to, as it's the unsupported site): try ReaNeq. It's not a Neve emulation (ie, it's probably from a similiar but different desk, clone perhaps), but has many of the things I like about the sound of the 108x therefore is quite useful.
This one is from CALREC's allegedly identical build to the 1083. From what I remember, BBC and Radio Quebec were required to have two sources for any gear they bought on contract, so the calrec's had to spec the same as their neves, I dont know. Sounds good to me

Anyhow if you do grab that plug, you will find the impulses with it, they need some work, some are out of phase, some are louder than they should be. If these ever end up 100% correct, I bet we can have a real plug made of it, maybe even with a white tie gui, so be my guest in modding the impulses
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
smueske

Simple answer is that none of them emulate existing EQs (though they are very good). Personally, I use Reafir more than any other Cockos plug.

You might take a look at the Sonnox EQ for a good analog modeled EQ.

The best EQ I'm using right now is the Frequalizer by Roger Nichols Digital. It's not a modeling EQ, but can really get into specific, granular-level changes to sound.

Last edited by smueske; 11-18-2008 at 01:49 PM.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post

How do you install this? I put it in REAPER/plugins/fx and it shows up as a vst, BUT I can't get it to alter the sound one iota. I stuck it on the master buss and did some extreme cuts and boosts to test, nada.

Does the folder containing the wavs go in the fx folder also? Does the dll need to be outside the folder? I'm confused...some help please.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 AM   #10
BartR

I own FabFilter as well.
This your Plugin is excellent!!!

I do hope in the future you can develop it into VST in order to make it much lighter.

Great job!
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:43 AM   #11
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
How do you install this? I put it in REAPER/plugins/fx and it shows up as a vst, BUT I can't get it to alter the sound one iota. I stuck it on the master buss and did some extreme cuts and boosts to test, nada.

Does the folder containing the wavs go in the fx folder also? Does the dll need to be outside the folder? I'm confused...some help please.
Options (CTRL+P)
Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...
then go itnot the folder effects

delete ReJJ folder with all its content and put in the new one.

restart reaper ... you got it
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote