Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
tspring
Human being with feelings

Default Hesitation/ stuttering after upgrade to Windows 10

I recently upgraded my old trusty Dell M6400 laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Everything except sound seems to be working well. Listening to anything using the Windows high definition audio device leads to hesitations and stuttering. The same was happening using the ASIO driver for my old M-audio USB Audiophile external sound card, so I started working through all of the suggestions that I could find on the web for dealing with the problem. As none of these suggestions worked, I finally resorted to going into the device manager to delete devices (mostly ethernet and wireless) one by one hoping to see the problems disappear if I deleted a device that was conflicting with interrupts/memory or whatever Windows is using for the the audio stream. For the devices that I could delete, there was no improvement, but while doing this I noticed that if I had the device manager scan for hardware changes, the stuttering and hesitations would disappear when using Reaper with the old M Audio USB audio card, and all was fine until I ran any other audio software. Running any other software causes the stuttering and hesitation to start happening again. Rescanning for new hardware allows me to use Reaper again.
This laptop is not my primary system for recording, but I really would like to sort the problem out just to understand what is happening if nothing else. Specs:

- Dell M6400 laptop with Intel Core2 Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53 GHz (x64-based quad core)
- 4 gigabytes RAM
- Newly installed 240 GB SanDisk SSD Plus (the only installed mass storage device)
- Currently running the 32-bit version of Windows 10 Pro (version 1903) although the processor is capable of 64 bit operation.
- Uses Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M display adaptor
- Windows reports that all drivers are up to date

The Windows resource monitor indicates low usage of CPU (<9% or so) and memory.
Suggestions are welcome. Some specific questions to those of you who know Windows audio internals: Is it likely that increasing RAM or switching to 64-bit Windows 10 might de-conflict processes?
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:50 AM   #2
ivansc

First thing to do is run resplendence.com`s latency checker. It will pinpoint any problems with doing multitrack recording on your Dell.

Oddly I have the same laptop sitting here doing nothing in the studio but mine runs Win10 ion a far lesser cpu than yours & with 4gb ram and a 5400rpm 93gb hard drive.

I recall struggling with a 2.5 pentium core duo back a few years ago & the biggest issues for me were the audio interface I was using and the nvidia graphics driver.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
tspring

Latencymon does find problems. It says that one or more DPC routine that belongs to a driver running on the system is executing for too long, and that at least one detected problem appears to be network related. It reports a DPC routine execution time of 101787 microseconds for storport.sys storage port driver, which seems excessive to me. It recommended that I check for a BIOS update, and there is indeed an update available - but the flash program is for Windows 7 and will not run under Windows 10. And down the rabbit hole we go. Looks like I will have to roll back to Windows 7 to update the BIOS and then re-install Windows 10. This will take a while.

Thanks for pointing me towards latencymon.

T
Old 07-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
tspring

I reinstalled Windows 7, updated the BIOS, reinstalled Windows 10, and ran Latencymon again. No apparent improvement in performance is evident. I have turned off CPU throttling, and uninstalled all network devices listed by the Windows device manager. None of these actions seem to have improved audio performance at all. Also temporarily turned off virtual memory paging. No improvement.

Help?
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
Stella645

Try switching your IRS driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=55005

Have also seen disabling esata ports in bios listed as a fix, but I would try the IRS first.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
tspring

Intel's rapid storage (IRS) driver does not appear to be installed on the system. I tried the latest version of Intel's installation package, and it failed. Maybe an earlier version of the IRS drivers would work, but I don't think that IRS is really needed for an SSD. Also this laptop predates eSATA, so the SSD is on a SATA controller. I also forced an update of nVidia drivers, but no joy. Not sure what to do next. I am truly out of ideas.

Last edited by tspring; 07-26-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Geoff-h3o

Default Chipset drivers etc

Did you install drivers or did windows do it automatically?. Snappy driver installer might point you at alternatives.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
poetnprophet

What's not clear to me is the 32-bit thing - are you using 32 bit Reaper? Are all your plugs and processing 32 bit?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote