Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
sebas777
Human being with feelings

Default "Dolby Headphones" VST - another interesting plugin :)

http://tasty.mousakas.googlepages.com/ <--- the VST wrapper

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/headphone.html <--- the technology

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...ic=39404&st=75
a thread about the technology

Enjoy !
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
dungbeetle

Thanks sebas.

This looks interesting

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Matthew Presley

This is quite interesting. I have been playing with it for a couple of hours now....two words come to mind..... Binaural Mixing!
Matthew Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
bFooz

Hi, I've recently moved to Reaper. Before, I was using several DAWs and I was mixing with DHWrap on master channel. But now I've got problem with DHWrap in Reaper. When I put in on track, it immediately starts to crack and it seems like there's not enough cpu for it. When I route it via ReaRoute to external (outside of Reaper) VST host, it works fine, but I want to use it inside Reaper. Any suggestions or advices? Thanks.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Phisk

Is there a solution for Win7 x64 users?
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
urednik

And if you miss a DOLBYHPH.DLL on the computer?
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Phisk

I put the dolbyhph.dll to that folder: c:\windows\system32

i am on win7 x64 using reaper x32

Does it work for you? All i get is silence at the moment.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
urednik

I do not at all have such a file on the computer ...
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
bFooz

you have to install cyberlink powerdvd and steal that file from it
Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Phisk

@bFooz: Does ist work for you? Are you using a x64 system? If so, are using reaper x32 or x64?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
bFooz

I'm using winXP 32. It works very well except that problem with DHWrapper in Reaper.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisk View Post
I put the dolbyhph.dll to that folder: c:\windows\system32

i am on win7 x64 using reaper x32

Does it work for you? All i get is silence at the moment.
I had the same problem at first. For some reason on Windows 7 64 (maybe 32 also) you need to put it in c:\windows instead of in the system32 directory.

It's been working fine for me on several Windows 7 computers for the last 6 months. It only works when I put the dll in C:\windows.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
cfbp

hi

I have the same bFooz problem in reaper, in windows 7 x32.

i wanna understand the purpose of this plugin, anyone can explain me; i suspect that it can help to mix with the spacial perception from a pair of near field monitors, but with headphones, is this true???

thanks for your help, and sorry about my english!
cfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
bFooz

read this http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...headphone.html
and listen to this with headphones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4.
DHWrap VST plugin uses DOLBYHPH.DLL which implements dolby headphone. I use it because I don't have speaker monitors.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 AM   #15
urednik

For me it works on W7 32 PC in the sys32 folder.

Anyhow, what is the trick to set for example a vocal quartett in a surround position (bas behind, alto, tenor in the middle and soprano in front)?

Do not quite get the system of settings. I guess I have to use the plugin on each track separate, but can not get the right effect.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #16
Phisk

Thanks superfly76!!! Unfortunatly i got somedrop outs, but it works at least.

@urednik: insert the wrapper as the last plugin at the master track. Change all tracks and master track to 8 channels. Set the output of the last track plugin to the channel number you want the sound to be heard from:

1 Front Left
2 Front Right
3 Centre
4 LFE
5 Surround Left
6 Surround Right

Edit:

Got rid of the drop outs!!! Simply run the plugin as "seperate process" Everythings fine now. Thanks to all!!!

Edit V2:
This makes it alot easier:

http://acousmodules.free.fr/acousmodules_s_en.htm

Last edited by Phisk; 07-25-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
cfbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
read this http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...headphone.html
and listen to this with headphones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4.
DHWrap VST plugin uses DOLBYHPH.DLL which implements dolby headphone. I use it because I don't have speaker monitors.
Thanks for the answer!!

im in the same situation, dont have monitors.

"Got rid of the drop outs!!! Simply run the plugin as "seperate process" Everythings fine now. Thanks to all!!!"

how can i do that?? how can i run the plugin as separate process???

many thanks for your help, this plugin is exactly what i need!!

EDIT:

found how to operate it, works perfect with the separate process option, thank you very much!

Last edited by cfbp; 07-25-2010 at 09:28 AM.
cfbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisk View Post
@urednik: insert the wrapper as the last plugin at the master track. Change all tracks and master track to 8 channels. Set the output of the last track plugin to the channel number you want the sound to be heard from:

1 Front Left
2 Front Right
3 Centre
4 LFE
5 Surround Left
6 Surround Right

Edit:

Got rid of the drop outs!!! Simply run the plugin as "seperate process" Everythings fine now. Thanks to all!!!

Edit V2:
This makes it alot easier:

http://acousmodules.free.fr/acousmodules_s_en.htm
1. Thanks Phisk. I am not sure if I did it right, here is what I did:
- Clicked the I/O button and changed master and 6 tracks from 2 to 8 channels (why 8, aren't there only 6?).
- In every track I opened its last plugin (whatever it is either an ReaEQ or a reverb), clicked on the "+" button > "Link to MIDI programme change" and set the track from no link to for example channel 3 (centre), other tracks I set to other channel numbers from 1-6.

2. Should every track go to Master/Parent send?
- how can I set that one track is not only for one position (f. e. centre) but combined - like center-left?

3. Are the drop outs you are talking about the same as by me, where the plugin takes to much CPU and I can not use it because the sound starts to stammer?
- if so, how did you run the plugin as a seperate process?

4. What exactly in the link you posted makes it a lot easier? Could you please explain me?

Thanks for your patience, since I am posting newbye questions here ...
Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Phisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
1. Thanks Phisk. I am not sure if I did it right, here is what I did:
- Clicked the I/O button and changed master and 6 tracks from 2 to 8 channels (why 8, aren't there only 6?).
I simply did not see that reaper offered 6 channels per track. I just saw 4 and 8. That's all. My bad

Quote:
- In every track I opened its last plugin (whatever it is either an ReaEQ or a reverb), clicked on the "+" button > "Link to MIDI programme change" and set the track from no link to for example channel 3 (centre), other tracks I set to other channel numbers from 1-6.
See answer at 4

Quote:
2. Should every track go to Master/Parent send?
- how can I set that one track is not only for one position (f. e. centre) but combined - like center-left?
The master/parent send is still needed.

See answer at 4

Quote:
3. Are the drop outs you are talking about the same as by me, where the plugin takes to much CPU and I can not use it because the sound starts to stammer?
- if so, how did you run the plugin as a seperate process?
I don't think it uses too much cpu. It is just somehow behaving buggy inside reaper.

To run it as a seperate process. Reinsert it a master track by doing the following: in the "add fx window" rightclick the wrapper plug and select the "run as" -> "seperate process"-option

Quote:
4. What exactly in the link you posted makes it a lot easier? Could you please explain me?
The page contains surround tools. There are the free SpatReap 66 & SpatReap 66 mod plugins. Both are surround panner. You can freely place your sources in the souround space and the plugs will do the routing for you. You can fully automate them, so creating dynamic sonic impression is easy. Insert them in the tracks you want to pan as the last plugin.

Last edited by Phisk; 07-31-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
rrroscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
I had the same problem at first. For some reason on Windows 7 64 (maybe 32 also) you need to put it in c:\windows instead of in the system32 directory.

It's been working fine for me on several Windows 7 computers for the last 6 months. It only works when I put the dll in C:\windows.
It works on win 7 x64, if you stick it \windows\syswow64 (System Windows on Windows 64). The files in \system32 are 64-bit binaries... the quite unintuitive naming scheme is probably due to legacy reasons.
Win 7 x64 transparently pipes any request from 32-bit programs/binaries to files in \system32 further on to \syswow64.
Long story short: put your 32-bit dolby dll in \syswow64 and you're fine. Or just continue to use \windows, it doesn't hurt any.
rrroscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #21
urednik

Thanks Phisk, so did I route channels on the last track plugins correctly?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
mkmossop

Can someone help me out with this stuff? I'm a complete newbie to this kind of thing and don't understand this.

So I'm supposed to put dolbyhph.dll and DHWrap.dll in either c:/windows/system32 or c:/windows... and then what? How do I tell if the plugins are working?
mkmossop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
bradleyfilms

Put DHWrap.dll with your 32bit VST plugins, and put dolbyhph.dll in your syswow64 folder if you're on 64bit windows or in system32 if you're not.
Cheers everyone, I'd completely forgotten about this little gem, it works a treat.
Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
plush2

Jeroen Breebaart to the rescue!

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/

Give this one a try.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
mkmossop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Put DHWrap.dll with your 32bit VST plugins, and put dolbyhph.dll in your syswow64 folder if you're on 64bit windows or in system32 if you're not.
Cheers everyone, I'd completely forgotten about this little gem, it works a treat.
Steve
Thanks for the reply.

I don't actually have any other VST plugins, so where would I put it? From what I've read the computer needs to know where the plugin is... so I just create a folder called "VSTPlugins" anywhere on the computer and put it there?

Thanks again!
mkmossop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #26
kenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Jeroen Breebaart to the rescue!

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/

Give this one a try.
+1. I've been using Isone in various forms for a couple of years now and find it indispensable for headphone mixes.

BTW all of Jeroen Breebaart's (Toneboosters) plugs are worth evaluating. The equalizer, de-esser, and compressor are frequent residents on individual tracks of my projects. The pricing is very reasonable.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:55 PM   #27
j7n

Does anybody still have this VST? I recently discovered it for Foobar, and would like to try it while mixing. It seems to apply a haas effect with a little reverb. Surrounds seem to come directly from the sides. (I cannot "record" into Foobar because the Wave driver of my sound card doesn't work.)

Edit:

I obtained it from the archive.org. I keep forgetting it hosts software packages. But the plugin is unusable. It crashes Reaper or the separate host process, and stutters with any buffer size.

TB Isone and IsoneSurround work well and are free now. They seem to add less coloration.

Last edited by j7n; 11-23-2023 at 06:55 PM.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote