Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #38
alextone
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Ah, so you were running out of file handles too? Glad to hear that the ram limit seems to be gone. FWIW, I've also upped filehandles to 65536, seem to remember having some problems loading certain projects otherwise.

In any case I'm happy for you if you can get going without kontakt, until NI would port it to linux, it's bound to be an exercise in masochism trying to get so much going with linvst/wine/kontakt. Also seems like dark times are coming for opensource projects using vst2, as steinberg seems dead set on wiping out the standard. In a while users won't be able to download the headers needed to build vst2 plugins, and one project got a DMCA takedown request for the vestige header it had in the github repo.. Not sure where this is going to end up...
If they get nasty on this, then i shall respectfully ask Justin to implement LV2, as we already have linuxsampler (and other plugins) in that format as well. There may be one or two additional challenges with it, but there seems to be little choice between learning a new format, and standing in court getting litigiously roasted over a fire by a baying pack of legal reptiles with near unlimited supplies of legalistic KYgel to probe with, and inflict on a hapless victim.
There will be enthusiastic young dev padawans out there who, faced with the reality and potential cost of corporate "altruism", may seek to instead build their modest plugin fortunes around an open source format like LV2; being then able to express themselves freely, without the fear of being yet another victim of corporate profit seeking, and monopolistic intent.

Not that i'm cynical..

Alex.

Last edited by alextone; 06-09-2018 at 04:50 AM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote