Old 06-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
jieva
Human being with feelings

Default Drag and Drop Midi Bug

If you drag and drop a midi file onto the reaper Icon on the desktop Reaper opens but puts the first track of the midi at track 1 even if you have a template that already uses track 1.

EG I have a roland sound canvas on track 1 and that is saved as the default template to use whan starting reaper. I close reaper and then select a midi file and drag it over the desktop reaper icon. Repaer opens and uses the default template with the Soundcanvas on track 1 but places whatever is the first track in the midi file within that track.

The same thing happens if i make reaper the default application for opening midi files
jieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
rncwalker

Your "Roland Sound Canvas" is a MIDI player that you have as a MIDI player (FX) on track 1, your midi file is imported onto track one. Now your MIDI file will not play any sound unless it has a MIDI player (Instrument) in the FX bin.

Try the following:

1) After you do this "drag and drop a midi file onto the reaper Icon on the desktop Reaper" once the Program has opened, select play and you should hear music (That's if you have configured you Audio/MIDI correctly.

1)With Reaper still open, create a new project and remove your Sound Canvas then drag and drop you MIDI file then select play and you will hear nothing.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
jieva

Default I don't mean that

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
Your "Roland Sound Canvas" is a MIDI player that you have as a MIDI player (FX) on track 1, your midi file is imported onto track one. Now your MIDI file will not play any sound unless it has a MIDI player (Instrument) in the FX bin.

Try the following:

1) After you do this "drag and drop a midi file onto the reaper Icon on the desktop Reaper" once the Program has opened, select play and you should hear music (That's if you have configured you Audio/MIDI correctly.

1)With Reaper still open, create a new project and remove your Sound Canvas then drag and drop you MIDI file then select play and you will hear nothing.

Robert
I can get it to play. That is not the problem Rob. The problem is that the midi is brought into reaper starting at track one and thus overwrites any existing track 1 that you have in a start up template. It would be nice if the importing of the midi recognised that and started after the last track in a template.

There are easy workaround such as openening reaper first and then dragging the midi file to the first track that you wanted to start at but I think that this is a bug.
jieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
rncwalker

I think the problem that you are having is not a "Bug", It's just not a feature in Reaper to do that. I would say, that it is not set to work the way you want it to.

You should make it a Feature Request.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote