Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I would appreciate a VST suggestion for this song

Hi Everyone:

I am a singer and I am currently preparing to learn Barbara Streisand's song 'Somewhere'.
I have lots of VSTs that I picked up so I was just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions that I could see if I might have to use for my vocal track to be able to get a similar effect for my voice?

Of course no one can sound like Barbara, but I'll try!

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

-Steven
Downtown Berkeley, CA USA
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
somebodyelseuk

Do it like Matt Monroe?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
trevlyns

well, how long is a piece of string?

First of all, there is the signal chain -it was probably recorded in a professional studio using top end mics and pre-amps and who knows what else before voice ever reached tape. Then it would have been shaped by a professional engineer probably using tasteful amounts of EQ and compression..

Agree, nothing to touch Barbara's voice but on listening to the song, apart from what I've just mentioned, the only thing I can detect behind her voice is some light reverb to get that slightly 'distant' sound..

What I'd suggest is record your version, but have Barbara's version on a separate reference track - muted while you are recording of course. Then once done, you can isolate your backing track and compare your voice and vocal tone to the reference. You would then work out if you need any boosts or cuts in the lower, lower mids, mids, upper mids or top frequency range. An EQ will help you with that. Then look at your performance overall - are there softer or louder bits that stand out? Compression will help with that. Have a look on YouTube for tips on vocal compression and EQ.

Oh and best of luck!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #4
songsj

Another thing to consider is what makes YOUR voice sound good.Sometimes just because you like how a pro voice is recorded/processed, does not mean it will sound good on you,You may need to look for the signal chain/FX settings that will make you sound best.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote