Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default Monitors for regular 'bedroom studio'.

I'm thinking of getting these, although I guess they're not true nearfield and they're kinda large. Maybe they don't have to be 'nearfield' since they're tuned to deal with regular rooms?

https://www.muztorg.ru/product/A081677

I wish I could stick them on a mic stand as well.... maybe I can find a speaker stand that has a changeable "head" to become a mic stand?

or maybe there's a better option (ideally from that same site, since they're local).
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
OldTascam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I'm thinking of getting these, although I guess they're not true nearfield and they're kinda large. Maybe they don't have to be 'nearfield' since they're tuned to deal with regular rooms?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. All speakers, unless they are terrible, are "tuned to deal with regular rooms." They differ in that they work better/worse depending on room size, shape, orientation, distance from walls, distance from listener, room treatments, etc. Even "nearfield" speakers/monitors are very much affected by their environment.
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
karbomusic

The main idea is a close position as an equilateral triangle (each speaker + your head) which takes as much of the room out of the equation as possible - this drops the SPL of room reflections as far as they can be in relation to the direct signal coming from the speakers. There's not much usually involved in a "near field" monitor other than serving that purpose for your main mixing monitors.

So, this and the room being well-treated are part of "good monitoring" 101.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-04-2020 at 07:48 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:

I have the JBL LSR308s and one thing you do need to be aware of is that they are back ported, so you don't want them right against the wall. Mine are about 6" - 9" away from the wall, from having them angled.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Mr. PC

I thought nearfields had the tweeter/sub aligned in such away that they balanced / phaseulamorphed perfectly when sitting like, 3 feet away?

JBL says the tweeter 'waveguide' thing gives it a wider sweetspot? I also thought there was something about how the rear-port was tuned that made room reflections less inaccurate?

Because otherwise I'd prefer smaller, cheaper, and non-ported.

but they get real good reviews

http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

"Well, these sound good out the box. Not in a generic "it makes music good" way, but good on the level of "Compared to everything I've ever heard these sound good." In this setup these speakers have more detail than anything I've heard. Hands down no shit detail, not colored rising response detail. This is the kind that you get from a dead room with headlight beam dispersion speakers, but these are not headlights, and this room is anything but dead.

What is going on here is that the direct sound from the speaker is tonally matched to the reflected sound, so everything gets covered in wonderfully neutral sound. This matches up with Harman's research as the best way to listen to music, but it is a sea change from solutions like I saw recently with the Von Schweikert VR4's where they put a tweeter on the back of the speaker to correct the tone of reflected sound without addressing the forward sound dispersion."

Or I could save some money and put it toward mics. But I spend way more time listening than recording.

https://www.mvideo.ru/products/kolon...s-612-50047885
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Glennbo

The only issue with the back ports is you just don't want them crammed tight against a wall. As for the wave guide stuff, it does work very well and you get great imaging in a much wider space vs the smaller "sweet spot" with some monitors.

In addition to my JBL LSR308s I also have a smaller pair of Yamaha MSP3s that I can switch to, and you have to have your head in the exact spot with them to get proper imaging.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
I thought nearfields had the tweeter/sub aligned in such away that they balanced / phaseulamorphed perfectly when sitting like, 3 feet away?
I'm unaware of phase alignment changing in that regard since that type of alignment just deals with getting tweeter/woofer coming out at the exact same time. Back in the old days with PAs we had delays just for that purpose, microseconds in order to align - rare but same basic deal. Could be wrong.

The wave guide thing which many monitors have (My old Mackies are that way) is since you are so close, it spreads out the highs a little more/sooner so moving your head doesn't affect how you hear the high end as much - since high frequencies are so directional. Good catch on that one, I had forgotten.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
karbomusic

A good rule of thumb is to place speakers somewhere between one quarter and one third of the distance between room boundaries (even if not ported) but most of us can't do that - The phenomenon is called "spacial loading" and it's ~3dB of additional bass per surface,depending on the surface - for example in a corner on the floor could accentuate bass by ~9dB (the two corner walls + floor). It might be 6 dB per surface but that likely considers a theoretical ideal and none of us have that so count on less.

So get them as far out as you can within reason - also the optimal listening distance is 1-2 meters but ideally you want your ear's distance from the speaker roughly the same as the distance between the speakers (the equilateral triangle I mentioned).
Old 04-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
peter5992

Quote:

I wish I could stick them on a mic stand as well.... maybe I can find a speaker stand that has a changeable "head" to become a mic stand?

or maybe there's a better option (ideally from that same site, since they're local).

I have the predecessor of these, with the 8 inch speaker, five of them, for a 5.1 surround setup.

The price / sound quality of these JBLs is terrific, you won't regret it. JBL has been around for decades, their more expensive actively powered speakers are popular in post production studios, but the cheaper models are definitely not 'cheap' in sound.

Room acoustics are critical, see the posts above. If you room is small this becomes more difficult to get it right.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
Bevosss

I love my LSR305s, really nice for playing music through too...such a great product and company.

I had a Roland Bass Cube 30 that was gathering dust that had an aux in, so I put it on the floor behind my desk and ran a mono feed from my interface to it as an experiment.

Not only did that work perfectly for testing in mono, but it really filled out the bass and kick when run together with the 305s, the guitar improved as well. I'm finding I'm leaving it on most of the time now unless it's critical, much more enjoyable for playing instruments and music.

Not quite the LSR310S sub, but maybe more natural, a cheapo fix that worked.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #11
tdc

Just to agree with the comments above.

1. Treat the room.
2. Add some speakers.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:04 AM   #12
Mr. PC

OK, so a pair of JBL 305p mkii with stands will cost $410 USD ($310 for speakers and $100 for the cheapest stand available).

I feel it's too much when I look at Amazon prices, but I guess that's my only option locally.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:11 AM   #13
tdc

I am convinced that Mr Zappa wouldn't really care about how it sounds but what the sounds are feeling like :-)

Those speakers are fine and will work for a certain usage. What is really important is that you start to tune your ears and form a view that is consistent to allow you to make judgements. If you don't have already, you should consider choosing 1 or 2 pieces of music that you like, and then place this on all your devices for reference. Anywhere you are working or playing, try this track out and see how it sounds. Your car, your folks house, your laptop, phone or whatever. Each studio you go to. Over time, you will become like Neo from the Matrix, and in a second be able to tell that there is something odd with a system or room. That begins to build confidence in that what you are hearing is true to you.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:55 AM   #14
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I am convinced that Mr Zappa wouldn't really care about how it sounds but what the sounds are feeling like :-)

Those speakers are fine and will work for a certain usage. What is really important is that you start to tune your ears and form a view that is consistent to allow you to make judgements. If you don't have already, you should consider choosing 1 or 2 pieces of music that you like, and then place this on all your devices for reference. Anywhere you are working or playing, try this track out and see how it sounds. Your car, your folks house, your laptop, phone or whatever. Each studio you go to. Over time, you will become like Neo from the Matrix, and in a second be able to tell that there is something odd with a system or room. That begins to build confidence in that what you are hearing is true to you.
Ya, well so maybe it's not needed for me to drop $500 on speakers? Maybe I could get something at https://aliexpress.ru ??

I hate paying double what the rest of the world pays.

{update without bumping. I got the JBL 305p mkii. I'm just worried that I got the cheapest stands available; hopefully music won't vibrate through the floor to the neighbors below me)

Last edited by Mr. PC; 04-07-2020 at 03:30 AM.