Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
boojumsnark
Human being with feelings

Default YouTube or VLC will not play with Reaper open

I cannot find the explanation for this. I suspect it is a simple one. I perhaps overlooked it. But, when Reaper is open I cannot stream Sling, YouTube, VLC or any other thing that makes sound and/or plays movies. Someone please tell me the silly error I am making.

Thanks
boojumsnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Outboarder

Change your sound driver :
Go to Preferences - Audio - Device
Test other drivers in Audio system and report back
Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
matt_t

Or maybe make sure "Preferences - Audio - Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" is checked?
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
drumphil

If you want to be able to switch back and forth without having reaper and your other apps playing audio at the same time, then what matt_t suggested is the answer.

If you want audio coming from all the apps at the same time, then it comes down to the audio driver type and mode, and exactly how the drivers were written.

If you use ASIO, most audio interfaces will completely lock out any other applications. Some will let other apps play audio, so long as it is at the same sample rate as the main ASIO application. Low latency is achievable.

If you use WASAPI shared mode, all apps can play sound at the same time, but latency is much greater.

If you use WASPI in exclusive mode it's basically the same as ASIO. It's going to lock out other applications. Low latency is achievable.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
boojumsnark

OK, Gurus, here is what has been done that worked: Audio System - PulseAudio.

To fill you in with some more data, I am in Linux and my soundcard is an ESI Juli@. The drivers that ESI says work in Linux are the ALSA drivers and indeed they do. But only with the problem of muting all other sound when Reaper is running. With PulseAudio drivers I can have some other thing running while working in Reaper. I do not need the "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" checked either. This action made no difference when using the ALSA driver.

But am I using the ESI Juli@ soundcard with PulseAudio? I am guessing that I am not. If the sound card makes no difference in the finished mixed and burned product I really do not care. Does it make a difference?

Thanks for the quick replies. It is great to be in a user community which responds as quickly and helpfully as you guys have.

Last edited by boojumsnark; 11-13-2019 at 01:14 AM.
boojumsnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 AM   #6
drumphil

Quote:
To fill you in with some more data, I am in Linux and my soundcard is an ESI Juli@.
Maybe next time lead with the important information.

Quote:
Does it make a difference?
PulseAudio probably has worse latency, because it's an audio server system, not an audio driver for an audio device, but if you're not worried about low latency real time monitoring through reaper it doesn't matter. I'm no linux expert, so I don't know if it adds enough latency to be a problem.

Last edited by drumphil; 11-13-2019 at 02:03 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Dr Bob

The audio output device you use has no effect on a final rendered track - unless you are sending the audio out to an external device and back again into the mix.

HTH

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
Glennbo

If you switch back to ALSA which is the better choice for your card, you could try un-ticking the auto-suspend Pulse Audio box.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-10-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
boojumsnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
If you switch back to ALSA which is the better choice for your card, you could try un-ticking the auto-suspend Pulse Audio box.

Tried but it did not work. There is a demand for complete use of sound. If another source, say streaming, is running Reaper is mute. Back to PulseAudio. Latency is minimal.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
boojumsnark

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Maybe next time lead with the important information.
Point well taken. My bad. I'm sitting in the corner with the Dunce Hat on for an hour. ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
PulseAudio probably has worse latency, because it's an audio server system, not an audio driver for an audio device, but if you're not worried about low latency real time monitoring through reaper it doesn't matter. I'm no linux expert, so I don't know if it adds enough latency to be a problem.
Latency is minimal, low enough to not be noticeable. Lucked out with that.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:00 AM   #11
paulspignon

Default Stopping Reaper bogarting sound card

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_t View Post
Or maybe make sure "Preferences - Audio - Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" is checked?
Yes, this worked for me, Reaper v6.75 on Debian 11.
paulspignon is offline   Reply With Quote