Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
miche
Human being with feelings

Default Inserting a note in scale mode out of scale will preview the wrong note (FIXED)

if a scale is applied, inserting a note outside the scale will write a note on the scale (expected behavior), but the note you will hear while clicking will be the out of scale clicked note (unexpected behavior), not the written one that has been moved to the scale.

Example:

0) open midi editor window on a track which as a vsti instrument loaded
1) set the scale to C major
2) click on a note that is not on the Cmaj scale (C# for instance)
3) the note will be visually inserted on the C note (normal behavior)
4) but the note you will hear during the note insertion is the wrong one (C#)

You should hear the expected note, especially if the right one is inserted on the editor.

On the image below, I am inserting the third note by clicking on Cmaj (you can see the Cmaj line is reddish). It is as expected moved to C, but yet I hear Cmaj while inserting it, which is a bit annoying.

miche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
strachupl

5 years and bug is still there...
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
vanhaze

I am wondering which method you use to create notes ..

Maybe a workaround for you although i don't see this as a workaround but just a great
way of creating notes for myself:

In Mouse Modifiers there is an action that i use for creating notes with the ability to preview them first in the set key/scale in Keysnap:

https://i.imgur.com/EdLCS6G.png

I think this "left mouse drag" action is even setup bij default in Reaper.

So workflow:

Leftmouse click somewhere in MIDI editor where you want a note to be created.
Don't let go of the left mouse button.
Now, drag up/down with mouse.
You will hear previews of only the notes that belong to the set key/scale in Keysnap.
When you hear the note pitch you want, let go of the left mouse button.
A note will be created with that last heard/previewed pitch.
You can even mouse drag to the right when you "landed" on the note pitch you want, to lengthen the "to be created" note, before letting go of left mouse button.

Hope this helps !
Warm Regards.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I am wondering which method you use to create notes ..

Maybe a workaround for you although i don't see this as a workaround but just a great
way of creating notes for myself:

In Mouse Modifiers there is an action that i use for creating notes with the ability to preview them first in the set key/scale in Keysnap:

https://i.imgur.com/EdLCS6G.png

I think this "left mouse drag" action is even setup bij default in Reaper.

So workflow:

Leftmouse click somewhere in MIDI editor where you want a note to be created.
Don't let go of the left mouse button.
Now, drag up/down with mouse.
You will hear previews of only the notes that belong to the set key/scale in Keysnap.
When you hear the note pitch you want, let go of the left mouse button.
A note will be created with that last heard/previewed pitch.
You can even mouse drag to the right when you "landed" on the note pitch you want, to lengthen the "to be created" note, before letting go of left mouse button.

Hope this helps !
Warm Regards.
What you talking about?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
xpander

I think this is one of the things where both approaches are correct. If and when you monitor the inserted notes, you'd expect to hear exactly the note you are inserting, are the notes correct or not. That the inserted note then gets moved to a forced scale is another action. If you'd play back the inserted and thus corrected notes, they also play back correctly.

So it's only the moment of forced move which is not monitored at all. Rather than taking away the correct behavior, monitor the inserted note, shouldn't there be an option to monitor also the move? This already works for editing, but that is tied together with the insert action. The problem overall is that a note insert which is not moved (forced to a scale) is a single sound event like it should be. And editing actions are monitored live as each edit happens, so there is a clear connection to what you do and hear. But a forced move would be two monitored events from one user action which may or may not sound odd as well.

How about not allowing any monitoring at all for the events tried to be inserted outside the scale, and no insert action either? Try as you might, if you are clicking outside the scale, nothing happens. Whatever the solution would be, somebody would not be pleased about it. Currently it is; Reaper is not telling me audibly that I use a wrong scale or have forgotten the key snap is on.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I think this is one of the things where both approaches are correct. If and when you monitor the inserted notes, you'd expect to hear exactly the note you are inserting, are the notes correct or not. That the inserted note then gets moved to a forced scale is another action. If you'd play back the inserted and thus corrected notes, they also play back correctly.

So it's only the moment of forced move which is not monitored at all. Rather than taking away the correct behavior, monitor the inserted note, shouldn't there be an option to monitor also the move? This already works for editing, but that is tied together with the insert action. The problem overall is that a note insert which is not moved (forced to a scale) is a single sound event like it should be. And editing actions are monitored live as each edit happens, so there is a clear connection to what you do and hear. But a forced move would be two monitored events from one user action which may or may not sound odd as well.

How about not allowing any monitoring at all for the events tried to be inserted outside the scale, and no insert action either? Try as you might, if you are clicking outside the scale, nothing happens. Whatever the solution would be, somebody would not be pleased about it. Currently it is; Reaper is not telling me audibly that I use a wrong scale or have forgotten the key snap is on.
Yes... that is making sense. You choose snap to specific scale to hear notes from other scales. Thanks for putting this logic in here!