Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
interceptor
Human being with feelings

Default Control surface question

Hi everybody. Just recently I discovered Reaper after years of using Cubase and it was the love at first sight. The problem (I spent the whole day and night yesterday googling and trying out different approaches):

I want to connect my control surface (Yamaha Promix 01) to control my mixes, however I only managed to get one way communication (my mixer controlling Reaper mixer) using learn function but I don't want to give up on convenience of having faders lined up the way I left them when I reopen the project. So, I need the return signal from the Reaper controlling the physical faders on the control surface.

Is this possible in any way as I don't mind going any length in order to keep working on this beautiful software or is it going to be back to Cubase?

Any help would be appreciated!
interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor View Post
Hi everybody. Just recently I discovered Reaper after years of using Cubase and it was the love at first sight. The problem (I spent the whole day and night yesterday googling and trying out different approaches):

I want to connect my control surface (Yamaha Promix 01) to control my mixes, however I only managed to get one way communication (my mixer controlling Reaper mixer) using learn function but I don't want to give up on convenience of having faders lined up the way I left them when I reopen the project. So, I need the return signal from the Reaper controlling the physical faders on the control surface.

Is this possible in any way as I don't mind going any length in order to keep working on this beautiful software or is it going to be back to Cubase?

Any help would be appreciated!
Does the yamaha support a MCU control surface mode ? If yes, configure it in the control surface section of the preferences window. Then you dont need to MIDI CC learn actions anymore.

Unfortunately Reaper doesnt have a 'generic' control surface yet. Are you using generic in Cubase ?

Alternatively you can use the control surface code i wrote for my VS2480, see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41391
If you can reprogram the CC's in the yamaha to match the ones i used for the roland, things might just work.

Yves

Yves

Last edited by yhertogh; 11-24-2010 at 01:15 AM.
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
interceptor

Thanks for the input.

MCU gave the same result however your script worked like a charm! Now all I need to do is remap CC messages in my Yamaha and hopefully I will be ready to go. What CC messages are you using for solo/mute? I just need my faders and solo/mute options working and that's it.

Thanks a bunch for the help!!! You made me really happy.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor View Post
Thanks for the input.

MCU gave the same result however your script worked like a charm! Now all I need to do is remap CC messages in my Yamaha and hopefully I will be ready to go. What CC messages are you using for solo/mute? I just need my faders and solo/mute options working and that's it.

Thanks a bunch for the help!!! You made me really happy.
I use CC61-76 for SOLO. Unfortunately i use the same CC's for MUTE, as the Roland support multicolour LEDS. I imagine the yamaha doesnt ? To mute i press SHIFT (CC110) and the button of the track. SOLO gets precendence over MUTE (as a muted track still SOLOs). For banking I use CC90,91,92,93, this gives you four banks of 16 tracks.

Let me know if you succeed in using the same button for solo and mute, with appropriate led feedback. I do remember i did a one off plugin for a guy who wanted seperate MUTE and SOLO buttons, just dont remember where i put it. That'll be plan B :-)

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
interceptor

Thanks again. I will spend next couple of days on it and hopefully by weekend I will let you know how the whole thing went. At least with your help I got the main functionality online.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
interceptor

It seems that my moment of happiness was premature...

From beginning I did something wrong. I assumed that your control surface appears as "BCF2000(using preset 1)" as that was the only preset that actually works with my mixer and that "using preset 1" was not there before. Now I realized that I don't have that option at all - your surface does not appear at all in my list although I did copy it in the plugins folder. BCF2000 works like a charm but only for 8 channels and I want 18.

What could be the reason that your plugin is not in the list?

Thanks!

P.S. Is the source code for the dll available?

Last edited by interceptor; 11-26-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Unfortunately Reaper doesnt have a 'generic' control surface yet.
Maybe it has, check this: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=13
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote