Old 05-17-2020, 02:15 AM   #1
mtrn
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Definition Model (ADM)

Hello. Do you plan to implement Audio Definition Model (ADM)? The guidelines of this format of the (near) future: https://adm.ebu.io/?fbclid=IwAR0I48d...5C_OIu1CYApN04

ADM is BWF audio with Metadata of gain, position, etc. The option could be Open ADM, Create ADM, Export ADM.

Here a example of that Nuendo 10 do for Import: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KXFEF8MNw

Thank you for that !
mtrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
mtrn

Hello. Could you tell me if this is in your development plan? It would be really good ... Thank you for your work, your software is really great. Math
Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

what other apps use this
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
tdc

ADM is an emerging platform, and one that I think will certainly end up taking hold. MPEG-H allows for a very broad delivery beyond broadcast also.

The whole discussion of Object Based Audio is as exciting as it is challenging as there are many unresolved issues. The primary area of non-consensus is the subject approach to rendering. Without that, there is no guarantee your product will sound the same on different platforms.

All that said, if Reaper was able to add in OBA into its core, it would be amazing. As it already supports 64ch tracks busses etc it seems that the ground work is there.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:00 AM   #5
mtrn

Thank you for your message, perfect summary of the situation. I also think that BWF + ADM + MPEG-H will come from a widespread workflow in the industry. Fraunhofer already offers MPEG-H authoring tools (https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/...ing/mpegh.html). Protools will only do Dolby but since the conformations will be "paid" it will be unlivable for many structures such as the podcast or independent music for example. Indeed the heart of Reaper in 64 channels and the fact that they are starting to take a serious interest in metadata > cool.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #6
mtrn

The recommendation ITU-R BS.2076-2 for ADM in PDF: https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.2076-2-201910-I/en
Old 05-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
tdc

Also - there is the IRCAM ADM tools to explore in Max/MSP.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
mtrn

Great tools indeed but MAX (Cycling'74) is rather expensive and difficult to access, I don't know if they will take up a lot of space in the industry standard. I use SPAT in MAX, it is sometimes difficult. Keep in touch
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
jm duchenne

Interesting discussion, perhaps even prophetic ;-)

Of course it is not sure if/how the ADM format will be widespread in the following years, the "industry standards" like Dolby or Sony have no interest with it since they have developed their own "standard" (ATMOS) or version of the MPEGH.
IRCAM has also shown no more interest in the development of their tools since a few years, but it may change.

Since Pyramix and Nuendo already support it (and the SpatRevolution will certainly be soon), there is then some chances...

As for Reaper, well, it has become the best tool for multichannel sound and is everywhere in the VR people hands, so yes, it would be a very good move to embrace some kind of Object Based Audio approach.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Also - there is the IRCAM ADM tools to explore in Max/MSP.
The ADM Tools are made with Max/Msp but are standalone apps, so they can be used freely.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
mtrn

Yes! I thought you had to subscribe to the forums, thank you for the link tdc. What do you think about SpatRevolution? Regarding stability and the fact that it is an external application? I do not believe in third application for this usage. Total paradigm of change in working methods for the future, intriguing! REAPER would be cool in this subject, natively! https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/detail/admix/

Last edited by mtrn; 05-27-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
X-Raym

BBC has just released an extension for that:

Extension: The EAR Production Suite by BBC (ADM Support for REAPER)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
mtrn

Thanks