Old 05-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
dimentorium
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with SetTrackStateChunk => unstable

Hi there,
has anyone ever worked in detail with the SetTrackStateChunk method? I am experiencing instability when manually setting the chunk of a VST Instrument.

So I can load the data from an FXP or NKSF file and set it to a plugin (with lots of manual rework), but it does not work stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it crashes the plugin.

Or is there any way to find out, whats happening in the back inside Reaper to debug this?
dimentorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Wha does "it does not work" mean?

And if it's crashing, you should post it as a bug-report, including crashlogs. Maybe the devs can fix things.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
dimentorium

In most cases I can set a preset to a VSTI.

But in some cases, when I do so, the plugin settings do not change, i.e. the new preset is not set. And crash here means, that after not accepting the new preset, the plugin does not accept any other preset as well. Deleting and setting again helps but is an ugly workaround

Looks like I destroy some internal pointers or so by writing the track state chunk. Would bet it was not made for what I do ;-)

But I think its nice to directly load and import other synthesizer presets into Reaper.

And before you ask, yes I decode the VST preset from the RPPXML(Base64) extract the header, footer and VSTchunk, exchange the VSTchunk, rebuild it and encode it again. Might be interesting for your documentation but its written in Python
Old 05-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Have tried toying around with toggling the setting of VST Plugins running in their own process?
This would my first start to toy around.

And just if I understand it right: you change the settings stored in the Fxstatechunk to influence the settings of the vst?
I've tried something like that with our Soundboard-Plugin but it didn't work at all.
My guess is that the plugin may write, but not necessarily read the data while running, only when started or changing the selected preset.
So if that's the case,
A) how to send to the plugin a signal of "setting has changed, reread it"? How does Reaper do it?
B) is that behavior of the plug in or vst-standard or of Reaper?

I'm sure, someone clever in here could have an idea of its inner workings.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
dimentorium

Will chec with the own process setting, was not aware of something like this.

Yes, I change the settings to load a new preset into the plugin, as Reaper only allows FXP or VSTPreset and the API is even more limited.

When I always delete the plugin, create a new instance and then write it, its abit more stable and works more often. I have no clue, how Reaper internally works with the data and until now I did not find much on this. Also when loading two times it works also.

But the idea, that the plugin does not reread might be a good start. Thanks!