Old 10-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
yellowtorrish
Human being with feelings

Default Big Sur - compatibility?

Anyone know if Reaper will be compatible with Mac OS 11 Big Sur, or should I hold off updating OS for a month or six after the Big Sur launch coming up soon?
yellowtorrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
Vasily

your best bet is to check in with your interface vendor and plugin vendors before upgrading. and upgrade only when all the vendors state they're ready for Big Sur.

Native Instruments, for example sent a newsletter like "don't upgrade to Big Sur until further notice", I believe some other vendors did the same.
actually the same happened before with previous MacOS versions.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
machinesworking

All I'm waiting on is the VEP plug in. Don't plan on selling the computer I have now, so it's going to be a VEP slave. This way the rest can follow when they're ready etc. Vienna said they were actively working on it, so that's good.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
vitalker

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238768
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Graman

Default Reaper v5 unusable with Big Sur

I'm still running Reaper v5, which has worked well up to now but is pretty much unusable since upgrading to Big Sur (at least I'm assuming that's the problem). I don't suppose v5 will get an upgrade to work on Big Sur but is v6 working on it or is it waiting for an update? In the meantime I must turn off automatic updates on my Mac.
Graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Landon7

Default Big Sur update

When I went to Mohave O/S, it screwed me up for a Week or two. So while I am afraid to rush to upgrade to Big Sur, I did get a notification from Waves, that they have reconciled to the Upgrade, and now need to know if Reaper is ready. Trying not to return to that downtime. Luckily Waves took very good care of me.
Landon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
mystbar

Default Big Sur and Reaper

Well, I took the plunge and upgraded my iMac 2020 to Big Sur. I would advise anyone interested in doing this to proceed with caution. Reaper opens and everything is where it should be and it generally works okay, but there are crashes. I have what I imagine most people have as far as plugins goes - the Reapack stuff, Apple, Isotope, Valhalla, Spitfire, Focusrite and others (all latest versions, natch). Generally all it takes is one errant click to close the whole program down. I have not isolated where the problem might be. Personally, I am okay with it - lots of saves and low expectations keeps me going. Sorry, but I am not advanced enough in the computer world to give details. I'd be happy to post the Crash Report the next time it comes up, I'm guessing in 20 minutes or so ...
So, TLDR - approach Big Sur with caution.
Take care, fellow-Reapers,
Mystbar

Hi there, I have an update. I forgot all about Christmas and instead spent my time upgrading all of my plugins. I now no longer have any issues running Reaper with Big Sur. The program no longer crashes. I think it might have been a Valhalla plugin, not their fault, but mine for not upgrading. So, therefore:
TLDR - my experience with Big Sur and Reaper on my 2020 iMac has been positive and I have had no crashes in the past week.

New year, new update - I have not had one crash and I have been working with Reaper every day and at this point I think I have tried out every scenario as far as my recording setup goes, so, for me, it's all good. Thanks, mystbar

Last edited by mystbar; 01-04-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: further further investigating ...
mystbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Sugamen

I can't even install reaper on my Macbook which I just bought😀. I think there have to be a lot of updating before it is ready to use...
Sugamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:54 AM   #9
vanhaze

Is it the latest M1 Macbook ?
What error message when trying to install Reaper ?
Old 01-19-2021, 06:07 AM   #10
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugamen View Post
I can't even install reaper on my Macbook which I just bought😀. I think there have to be a lot of updating before it is ready to use...
On the bleeding edge, I use macOS 11.2 beta and Reaper 6.20rc2 on a M1 MacBook Air: it works. That being said, I disabled Gatekeeper.

Maybe your problem is related to Gatekeeper.
Attached Images
File Type: png gatekeeper_off.png (31.9 KB, 258 views)
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote